Black tank cleaning

djlogan

I'm just curious about an idea I had. Has anybody ever tried using a siphon bottle to inject soap up the black water flush fitting to clean the black water tank?it seems to me that it would work, but I'm reluctant to try it without consulting those more knowledgeable. Awaiting responses before i try it

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure you'd gain much, depending on the layout of the tank. In mine, the sprayer is at one end and the sensors are at the other, near the valve opening. You might get better results by putting a quantity of water in the tank, with some detergent, and then driving the rig around. The stopping and starting will agitate the solution and wash the inside of the tank. Then flush at your next campsite.

But the sensors will probably still not read correctly.

MTPockets

My black tank sensor works perfectly. All the lights are always on, so I know those bulbs are still good.

djlogan

I'm just thinking that the high pressure soapy solution might blow the gunk out of the tank better than water by itself.

danemayer

I'm not sure how much "high pressure" you'd get. Take a look at our Water Systems Guide, page 21. It describes the GEO method of cleaning the tank. I've had very good results from the Calgon Water Softener, Detergent, and Bleach.

Lynn1130

Before you leave on the next trip put 1 cup laundry detergent and 1 cup Calgon powder mixed in water down the toilet. Fill it with 10-15 gals of water and take off. When you get to your first stop and hook up, hook up the black tank spray cleaner and fill the tank. Flush it. Fill it again and flush it. You will be surprised at how much gunk flushes out. I would actually suggest that you follow this routine between the next two or three stops just to be double or triple sure you got it clean. (Geo Method)

JohnDar

Actually, the only thing I put in my tank, after flushing, is a cup of Calgon powder mixed in a bucket of water. I add an additional 5 - 7 gallons of water via the flusher to "charge" the tank for use.

I bought a case of the powder online a couple of years ago and am just about out. Can't seem to find it anymore, so I may switch to the 20 Mule Team brand. Don't want to use the liquid version.

Lynn1130

Amazon the last time I bought some. The Calgon will make the water slick which helps keep things from sticking but the detergent helps clean the already stuck on stuff.

I just checked Amazon and it is out of stock, bummer.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Calgon liquid is available at some Walmarts.
I use it in combination with Dawn in my black and kitchen tanks. (Sometimes in the bath if the valve is sticky.)
End result is, after 30 years of using chemicals of one type or another, I have found I no longer need any of them. Trace

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We use the liquid Calgon and I get it at Walmart too we do dawn or Detergent just depends . I also have white sinks in my kitchen so I fill them up with water and bleach to soak and clean them when Kenny drain the tanks it cleans e sewer hose too.

JohnDar

I know the liquid Calgon is still available, but it appears the powder version has gone the way of the dodo bird. How much of the liquid are you putting in a time?

mobilcastle

We use Calgon and detergent and it works well. I never look at my tank lights I just know I need to pull the valves at regular intervals.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We can still get powder Calgon at Fred Meyer stores which are part of the Kroger corp. sometimes we use White King which is just as good for us. We also use Dawn and add water to tank. Mark adds Happy Camper to this mixture. I don't know that we really need to, but we have tank sensors that work and no odor. We have also been known to dump in a bag of ice before we leave a site so it can rattle around while we travel.

Kristy

Grey Ghost

I just checked and Amazon has the Calgon powder again, but it is expensive. Think I will try the liquid which is available at Walmart for about $6.00 or so and just add some Dawn soup to the mixture for good measure. I've never tried this but sounds like a great idea!!

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Greetings. I use 48oz of water, 48oz of Pine Sol(any "flavor") and 1 cup of Calgon Bath Beads. I have been able to purchase the Calgon beads at Walmart, but I do not remember the price. I put 8oz in black tanks and 4oz in gray water tanks. When I am going to travel I clean the tanks, add the proper amount of solution with about 5gl of water. The movement helps the solution clean the tanks. Seems to work very well.