Black Tank Flush (Fixed)

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
If I have done this correctly, I have attache two pictures. Shows the back side of the UDC with one of the hose connections going nowhere. This is why my basement flooded when I tried to flush my tank. There are two hose connections side by side. One on the left, I thought was the black tank flush, but when I hooked up, nothing happened. I could feel pressure on the water line but would could not hear or see any water running. So, I thought maybe I hooked up to the wrong hose connection. Tried the one on the right and water came pouring out under the belly and into the basement. Now I see why. Can't understand how an open line like this could come from the factory or why it wasn't found at the dealer during their PDI. I should never have had to deal with this problem. Camping World and Heartland should be ashamed of themselves!
20150306_113359[1].jpg20150306_113409[1].jpg

Dloebrich

Re: Black Tank Flush

Yes it really makes you wonder. Just be glad they are camper salesmen and not your surgeons!

davebennington

If I have done this correctly, I have attache two pictures. Shows the back side of the UDC with one of the hose connections going nowhere. This is why my basement flooded when I tried to flush my tank. There are two hose connections side by side. One on the left, I thought was the black tank flush, but when I hooked up, nothing happened. I could feel pressure on the water line but would could not hear or see any water running. So, I thought maybe I hooked up to the wrong hose connection. Tried the one on the right and water came pouring out under the belly and into the basement. Now I see why. Can't understand how an open line like this could come from the factory or why it wasn't found at the dealer during their PDI. I should never have had to deal with this problem. Camping World and Heartland should be ashamed of themselves!
View attachment 35050View attachment 35049

Keith,
The question that comes to my mind is what about the other end, is it open where the line is supposed to be hooked up to??? If that is the case then the black tank contents are dumping into the belly of the beast.

dave

danemayer

Keith,
The question that comes to my mind is what about the other end, is it open where the line is supposed to be hooked up to??? If that is the case then the black tank contents are dumping into the belly of the beast.

dave

Keith,

Take a look back there to see if the pex line is hanging loose. Maybe it came unscrewed and is just waiting to be reconnected. Or maybe the factory missed a step in connecting it. Or maybe there was something wrong when they went to connect the pex line to the UDC fitting and no one ever came back around to correct the problem.

The black tank flush line usually goes from the UDC wall, up behind the shower, thru the anti-siphon valve, and then back down to the black tank spray head.

donr827

It sounds like Dan has the answer. Looks like someone forgot to finish the job or it was Friday quitting time.
Don

klindgren

Keith,

Take a look back there to see if the pex line is hanging loose. Maybe it came unscrewed and is just waiting to be reconnected. Or maybe the factory missed a step in connecting it. Or maybe there was something wrong when they went to connect the pex line to the UDC fitting and no one ever came back around to correct the problem.

The black tank flush line usually goes from the UDC wall, up behind the shower, thru the anti-siphon valve, and then back down to the black tank spray head.

Dan, I did a thorough search of the area, looking for a disconnected line, but could not find any. It's almost looks, to me, like a line was never connected. But the thought of having a loose line from the black tank side does scare the heck out of me.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

Sounds like the new QC people were checking other things. Keep us updated on what the fix will be.

danemayer

Dan, I did a thorough search of the area, looking for a disconnected line, but could not find any. It's almost looks, to me, like a line was never connected. But the thought of having a loose line from the black tank side does scare the heck out of me.
Keith,

Next place to look would be behind the shower access panel. That's usually where the anti-siphon valve is located. If they installed the pex lines, they will usually be there. If you do find them there, one line should be connected to the black tank and there's little or no chance of anything getting out of the black tank, up that line, and back through the valve.

sengli

On mine there was a flexible line connected to the fitting on the back of the UDC, and from this line went to the afore mentioned PEX lines that ran up inside the back of the shower stall. In the attached photo you can see the white flexible line.

Attachments

• IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 137

klindgren

Thanks for the "behind the shower" tip. I've got family visiting today, so can't get to it, but I'll check it out first thing tomorrow and let you know what I find.

jbeletti

Keith - so sorry to hear this. I was hopeful is was just a PEX crimp that wasn't crimped, but you're saying there is no line at all.

Curious - do you have 2 black tanks on the Newport and if yes, is there a black tank flush on the second tank?

klindgren

Keith - so sorry to hear this. I was hopeful is was just a PEX crimp that wasn't crimped, but you're saying there is no line at all.

Curious - do you have 2 black tanks on the Newport and if yes, is there a black tank flush on the second tank?

Jim, To my knowledge there is only one black tank, but I have two "flush" water inlet's in the UDC. One (the one with no hose attached) has no label in the UDC. The other (the one with a hose but no water flow) has a label next to it that say "city water connection" or something like that (I didn't go outside to get the exact quote).

Dan, I could not find a shower access panel in my Newport. The wall common with shower controls is in our bedroom, behind the sliding door, but there is no access panel. It's just a solid wall.

danemayer

Dan, I could not find a shower access panel in my Newport. The wall common with shower controls is in our bedroom, behind the sliding door, but there is no access panel. It's just a solid wall.

Keith, is there a 6" round disc under inside the shower, near the faucets?

klindgren

Keith, is there a 6" round disc under inside the shower, near the faucets?

Dan, both my 2010 Pinehurst and my 2013 San Antonio had that 6" disc you are talking about. The Newport does not. The only "access" would be to remove the big metal ring from around the shower control handle.

klindgren

Heartland Customer Service To The Rescue - again!!

I got a call on Monday from Heartland Customer Service (not sure who told them) telling me not to wait to get this problem fixed. They authorized me to contact a mobile RV service to come out, drop the belly covering and "find & fix the problem." Sure made me feel good to know they either read the forum or at least keep track of posts. Anyway, it took two techs several hours but they finally found the problem -- a kink in the flush line. Cut out the kink, spliced in a new section of line, and bingo, black tank flush now works. I know folks have complained about customer service, but I have always found them to be very helpful and willing to do what needs to be done to correct problems.

I still don't have an explanation as to why I have two flush intakes with one having no hose connected to it, but at least I have the flush line I need. I'll worry about answers to the other intake later.

THANKS HEARTLAND CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

jbeletti

Keith - happy to hear you got this taken care of. I suggest you consider adding a cap to the back of that other flush port - LINK

Westwind

A cap is fine so no one working on the trailer that isn't familiar with the problem knows that connection goes no where - but I would remove it from the UDC and put in some type of blank so that no one has something to accidently connect to and then wonder what's not going on. As time goes
on senior moments do happen. LoL

guyc66

Heartland Customer Service To The Rescue - again!!

I got a call on Monday from Heartland Customer Service (not sure who told them) telling me not to wait to get this problem fixed. They authorized me to contact a mobile RV service to come out, drop the belly covering and "find & fix the problem." Sure made me feel good to know they either read the forum or at least keep track of posts. Anyway, it took two techs several hours but they finally found the problem -- a kink in the flush line. Cut out the kink, spliced in a new section of line, and bingo, black tank flush now works. I know folks have complained about customer service, but I have always found them to be very helpful and willing to do what needs to be done to correct problems.

I still don't have an explanation as to why I have two flush intakes with one having no hose connected to it, but at least I have the flush line I need. I'll worry about answers to the other intake later.

THANKS HEARTLAND CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

My black tank flush had a kink in the line too when we first bought our unit. I could hear a little water passing through under high pressure so I figured there was some type of blockage. I removed the access panel in the belly storage and had to crawl deep inside to find and correct the problem. Glad to hear your fix was easy too.....

klindgren

Keith - happy to hear you got this taken care of. I suggest you consider adding a cap to the back of that other flush port - LINK

Thanks for the link Jim. I'll pick one up when I get home in a couple of weeks and empty the basement.

Thanks for the suggestion Westwind, but then I'd have "hole" in the UDC that would bug me more than a disconnected intake. I'd still like to hear from Tom or someone at Heartland as to what this extra intake was intended for and how my coach came out of the factory with no connection to it.

jbeletti

...I'd still like to hear from Tom or someone at Heartland as to what this extra intake was intended for and how my coach came out of the factory with no connection to it.

Keith - Tom doesn't get notifications to this sub-forum so he will not see your wish. Consider giving Tom or even Ron a phone call to request this investigation.