black tank flush

Capt-Kirk

How to use the black tank flush on my
Hearland Sundance xlt 273rt?
I connect water hose to the fitting on curb side and nothing happens.
Am I missing a valve or switch?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Can you hear water running? “Flush” the toilet and listen while running the tank flush. If no flow, you may have a kink in the line or even a backwards installed anti-siphon valve. If you have an access port in your shower, open it and see if the ASV is mounted there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gary521

This is very common problem. Mine have not worked from new. Bypass the valve completely and put in a check valve.

jerryjay11

This may sound funny and I don't want to be insulting, but have you opened the black tank drain valve? If your black tank is near full you may not hear the water flowing in the tank. Instead you are just filling the black tank. I have a RL250 with the black tank flush and the only thing that is in line is a check valve. Instructions does tell you to open the blank tank drain before flushing to prevent overflow to the toilet. The flow of water causes a swirl in the tank to aid in flushing chunks.

JohnDar

This may sound funny and I don't want to be insulting, but have you opened the black tank drain valve? If your black tank is near full you may not hear the water flowing in the tank. Instead you are just filling the black tank. I have a RL250 with the black tank flush and the only thing that is in line is a check valve. Instructions does tell you to open the blank tank drain before flushing to prevent overflow to the toilet. The flow of water causes a swirl in the tank to aid in flushing chunks.

Unless you installed it yourself, you’re the first owner to say he doesn’t have the dreaded ASV in the black tank flush line. The ASV is not a check valve and is usually jammed up an inaccessible spot in the wall.

Capt-Kirk

My asv is under the kitchen sink
Not offended at all thanks for the input
The tank is empty I am sure asv is backwards.

jerryjay11

Unless you installed it yourself, you’re the first owner to say he doesn’t have the dreaded ASV in the black tank flush line. The ASV is not a check valve and is usually jammed up an inaccessible spot in the wall.

No this is Heartland's installation and they don't use the ASV on the Pioneer RL250. Just a check valve just on the other side of the connection.

- - - Updated - - -

My asv is under the kitchen sink
Not offended at all thanks for the input
The tank is empty I am sure asv is backwards.

Wouldn't be surprised if it were reversed. With the screwy way they wired my entertainment speakers.

JohnDar

WHAT?? No prone to fail ASV as dictated by the RVIA? What’s Heartland thinking?

wdk450

I see that you have a 2018 Heartland. Is this problem worth getting a 3rd party independent RV repairer to fix the problem and let Heartland pay the warranty repair charges? Call Heartland Service in advance for authorization. You paid for your warranty repairs as part of your purchase price.

sengli

My ASV in both of my fifth wheels leaked when I attempted to use the black tank flush. So be mindful, to watch and make sure the water isnt gushing inside your rig, in that hidden space instead of going into the black tank. I eliminated the ASV, and installed a manual brass ball valve on my flush line.

Capt-Kirk

My ASV in both of my fifth wheels leaked when I attempted to use the black tank flush. So be mindful, to watch and make sure the water isnt gushing inside your rig, in that hidden space instead of going into the black tank. I eliminated the ASV, and installed a manual brass ball valve on my flush line.
I like that idea on the ball valve.

No, I am not letting the dealer or factory touch my rig. ****es me off with the shortcuts they took the first time, I can do it better myself. Besides it will take 2 minutes to turn asv around. 10 to put in an elbow.

sengli

I know you have scolded me before on this topic. The valve I installed is a on or off only. I installed a manual brass ball gate valve, right behind the UDC, on the water inlet connection to the black tank. So when I flush, I attach the hose, reach inside and flip open the ball valve...flush. Close the valve, disconnect the water from the inlet and I am done. I will add..I never hardly use our black tank. Its never been more than 1/3 full ever.

Plus my black tank sits in the lowest portion of the drop frame of my coach. My black tank is plainly visible as it runs down hill to the spray nozzle. Both of those cheapy plastic OEM ASV's in my two heartland fivers got stuck and allowed water to spray everywhere. Never again.

Last edited:

danemayer

I know you have scolded me before on this topic. The valve I installed is a on or off only. I installed a manual brass ball gate valve, right behind the UDC, on the water inlet connection to the black tank. So when I flush, I attach the hose, reach inside and flip open the ball valve...flush. Close the valve, disconnect the water from the inlet and I am done. I will add..I never hardly use our black tank. Its never been more than 1/3 full ever.

We all get to do whatever we want, so think of this as informational rather than a scolding - and mainly info for anyone else reading the thread..

For anyone thinking of replacing the ASV with a cutoff valve, you should be aware that the purpose of the Anti-Siphon Valve (ASV) is to protect the water supply from contamination in the event that there is ever negative pressure at the water supply while using the black tank flush. Negative water pressure could suck water with harmful bacterial content from the black tank spray head leaving harmful bacteria in your water inlet, your hose, and even in the campground water supply. The ASV prevents this from happening.

A check valve may also protect the water system, but there is debate about whether a check valve is as effective as an Anti-Siphon Valve.

jerryjay11

No this is Heartland's installation and they don't use the ASV on the Pioneer RL250. Just a check valve just on the other side of the connection.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't be surprised if it were reversed. With the screwy way they wired my entertainment speakers.

I will add that I have a separate hose connection to use the black tank flush so there is no chance of cross contamination.

LBR

Anytime someone is flushing their black tank with a hose hooked to a potable water system, it is a cross connection. If certain events happen, the black tank water could flow backwards and contaminate the water supply.

jerryjay11

Anytime someone is flushing their black tank with a hose hooked to a potable water system, it is a cross connection. If certain events happen, the black tank water could flow backwards and contaminate the water supply.

Glad I don't have to worry about that.

Capt-Kirk

The ASV is a pos.
I replaced it with an elbow.
e607fbdfcb86f523682c0c0c3ce9f602.jpg

I have an ElkRidge 37ULTA with 2 black tanks installed. Since ownership I had not tried to use the Black Tank Flush until last weekend. When I connected the hose, opened the dump valve and turned the water on, nothing happens, no sounds of running water. I tried the same process on the other side of the rig and again no sounds of flowing water. There was pressure on the hose. I am wondering if the Anti Siphon Valves may be at issue, and if so is there an easy access to them? I'd hate to bring this in for repairs that some kid installed backwards. When able, I plan on providing images to help visualize locations of hose attaching points.

Opinions or thoughts?