BLACK tank odors inside RV

DGEdwards

I am getting odors from my black tank when i flush my comode. I once overfilled my black tank with water when i hooked up my water supply' Could I have damaged a seal in my vent? Thanks for any assistance. Don Edwards

2013 Bighorn 3685RL

danemayer

If you had campground water hooked up to the black tank flush fitting and it overfilled the black tank, several things can happen.

- As the tank fills and expands, there's upward pressure on the toilet which could loosen it where mounted.
- It's possible to cause a separation between the drain pipe from the toilet and the black tank.
- It's possible to cause a shift in the vent pipe.
- The tank itself can be damaged.

Check the vent on the roof to see if the pipe appears to be in a normal position.

pjones1969

Just asking, did you happen to have the bathroom fan on? If so, that will suck the odor out of the tank when flushed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLO

Your black tank is open to the atmosphere only through the roof vent. When you flush the toilet the water from the bowl causes a movement of air down into the black tank. The only place for the air to go is out the roof vent. If you have your bathroom ceiling vent open the smell from the tank can come into the bathroom through the ceiling vents as the air from the black tank is pushed out. The black tank vent is usually in close proximity to the ceiling vent. If your black tank is really smelly you can get some smell through toilet when toilet is flushed. There is no water trap below the toilet bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk