Black tank over full / Leak

_OZ_

Today I let my black tank get really full. I had not drained the black tank for a week and was starting to get burps back through the toilet. I thought it could wait until morning. Later tonight I started to smell that sewer smell. I went outside to dump the tank and discovered a good sized puddle under the RV and could see dripping where the black pipe comes out of the plastic belly.
I drained the tank, flushed twice and the smell is gone and the leaking has stopped. I'm now wondering what to do next.
Is there an overflow vent or did I break something that now requires maintenance?

Last edited:

rhodies1

Today I let my black tank get really full. Tonight I started to smell that sewer smell. I went outside to dump the tank and discovered a good sized puddle under the RV and could see dripping where the black pipe comes out of the plastic belly.
I drained the tank, flushed twice and the smell is gone and the leaking has stopped. I'm now wondering what to do next.
Is there an overflow vent or did I break something that now requires maintenance?

I would drop the coroplast and take a look,its sounds like something is not correct.
You may have a cracked pipe at the top side if the tank,I do not believe there is a vent,if so you would smell it ongoing.I wouldn't think Heartland is using any sort of rubber flange with clamps at the top of the tank but until you explore anything is possible?
If you have a cracked pipe it is beneficial to fix now versus the pipe breaking off during transit and when you use your system the effluent going into the belly of the unit.
Good luck.

Abear79

Sounds like you might have a problem. My kids over filled my back black tank before and it backed up in the toillet. I went outside droped it no problems no leaks.

danemayer

The more common scenario is overfilling the tank while having water running into the black tank flush fitting in the UDC. As the tank expands, it can put quite a bit of upward pressure on the toilet, it can push water up the vent and onto the roof, and it can expand the tank where the pipes enter, allowing a little leakage.

Everything is usually fine after a little cleanup.

carl.swoyer

I had a crack on the back side of the PVC pipe, right where the pipe and coupler fit. So it was hard to spot. Cut the line, replaced the joint and used a rubber coupler to fit it back together. At least that was my leak.😎

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

_OZ_

I removed the basement wall to see what was going on. The toilet vent and drain pipes are directly behind the wall. I could see some liquid on top of the tank and could also see liquid where the toilet pipe inserts into the black tank.
Looks like I can fix it by adding more sealant around where the pipe enters the tank.

Looking around the belly I was expecting to see actual fiberglass insulation, but all I saw was the silver bubble wrap stuff. Is that normal?

carl.swoyer

So I would suggest that you check your toilet seal as well. If your black tank was overfilled the pressure could have pushed the seal up at the toilet so just check that out

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

So I would suggest that you check your toilet seal as well. If your black tank was overfilled the pressure could have pushed the seal up at the toilet so just check that out

Wouldn't that just happen from overfilling it with the black tank flush hose and building pressure from that. I wouldn't think you'd have any pressure build up from over filling through the use of the toilet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

I removed the basement wall to see what was going on. The toilet vent and drain pipes are directly behind the wall. I could see some liquid on top of the tank and could also see liquid where the toilet pipe inserts into the black tank.
Looks like I can fix it by adding more sealant around where the pipe enters the tank.

Looking around the belly I was expecting to see actual fiberglass insulation, but all I saw was the silver bubble wrap stuff. Is that normal?

The "bubble wrap" is your insulation for the under belly. It is water proof. It is normal. Push up on the coroplast where it bows. If there is resistance, you have liquid in the under belly. You can use a good bright flashlight and a stick to gently rub the top of the coroplast in the basement to make sure there isn't any liquid on top. Your eyes can play tricks on you with that silver and you may not detect the water on top.

_OZ_

I'm the 2nd owner. I don't think the warranty is transferable. I already fixed the problem by resealing the junction where the vent pipe enters the tank.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Today I let my black tank get really full. I had not drained the black tank for a week and was starting to get burps back through the toilet. I thought it could wait until morning.

I guess the lesson learned here is to drain the black tank before it gets that full.

When that 2/3rds full light comes on . . . it's time to dump.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Unfortunately it is not uncommon for the joint between the tank inlet and the toilet drain to leak. It isn't a problem when flushing the toilet but it is a problem when the tank is over filled from normal use or from rinsing and getting sidetracked. Sometimes the leak can be repaired by cleaning up the joint and applying a liberal amount of ABS cement around the joint.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yeah, it's self critiquing.
My tank lights says its full most of the time.

On both Heartlands that we've purchased those gauges seem to have worked good.

However, I have noticed that sometimes when we get to a campground and we have some 'stuff' in the black tank that the gauge will show full even when I know it's not.

When this happens I hook up the hose to the built-in black tank flush and run a couple of blasts and it seems to clear the slosh off of the sensors.