Black tank treatments.

What do you guys put in your black tank while traveling. We camp in our unit on a seasonal site using treatments to break down waste and paper. I use the black tank flush. Besides a few trips a year our unit is on our site. i would like to put something in my tank when traveling to clean anything that might be hanging aroumd. I have heard of ice and 5 gallons of water. I'm fussy with my black tank, and was wandering what you guys do?

Thanks!!

Matt

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things that you could do.
One thing would use a commercial holding tank additive, the blue stuff, or any number of products sold at RV stores or WalMart.
The GEO method is on thing that a lot of people use. It involves adding some Dawn dish detergent and Calgon. People swear by it.
I personally don't use anything other than a good flushing when I drain the tank.

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

I just use lots of water. It's a holding tank not a septic tank. There is no reason to add anything to try and break anything down. It shouldn't be in there long enough to break down anyway. Back in the day when I tried some of those chemicals, they smelled worse than anything. I just dump it and flush it using lots of water. Never had a problem...JMHO. Don

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have been fulltiming since 2007. During that time we use some of the normal chemicals, however after listening to fulltimers of 20 yrs or more say that they use only plenty of water and Toilet Paper that will break down quickly. As Cookie said above we use nothing but plenty of water and either Northern or Angel Soft Toilet Paper.

Septic tank chemicals don't break down the solids quickly enough to do any good. Just a waste of money in my opinion..

BC

mobilcastle

Septic tank chemicals don't break down the solids quickly enough to do any good. Just a waste of money in my opinion..

BC[/QUOTE]
We use Calgon and any detergent type liquid soap. Have never had a problem with valves, floats or tank readers. I just bought our unit from a prior owner so I will see how it goes. Some people put some cooking oil down in their tanks to lube valves-I have never tried that but sounds interesting. I totally agree with the above statement.

Wharton

We use Dawn blue detergent(around 1/3 c) and 6 Polident tablets(6 are on a strip, only reason for 6). Early this year we just used the Dawn and stopped using the Polident, had all sorts of problems with the tank sensors. Put the Polident back into the equation and everything is fine. We buy the Polident in Sams Club. I do predesolve the Polident and run water in for 1 minute(another random guess but it works)

kowAlski631

We were told to flush a 10lb bag of ice down the toilet at least once a month before we head out for a day's travel. He said the ice provides a good scrubbing in the tank without using chemicals. We don't head out on the road full-time until late spring, so I'd like opinions on whether or not this should/could work.

danemayer

We were told to flush a 10lb bag of ice down the toilet at least once a month before we head out for a day's travel. He said the ice provides a good scrubbing in the tank without using chemicals. We don't head out on the road full-time until late spring, so I'd like opinions on whether or not this should/could work.

A lot of people talk about using this method but I've always wondered how long it takes the ice to melt when it mixes with the couple of gallons of water that you always need to keep in the black tank. Or maybe people using ice completely empty the black tank so they can clean it with ice and then put a few gallons of water in before using the bathroom. I'd be likely to forget the last step.

kowAlski631

I'd really like for someone who has used it to advise me whether or not it works so that I can either keep it on or erase it from my notes. Anyone tried it?

hriker

We always back flush the black tank after its emptied and add 5 gallons of water and RV Digest-it. Work great for us.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think the key to using the ice is to dump it in and then take the rig out on the road. Stopping and starting, driving over hill and dale to get the ice chunks knocking crud off the walls of the tank before it melts.

An alternative is to put several gallons of soapy water down there, maybe with some Calgon, and do the road trip.

Since my rig is stationary all summer, I use the Geo method in my tank and flush it after each dump. Gets the sewer trout roe out, but the sensors rarely read right.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We don't use anything on a regular basis. I flush several times with the built in flush system and during each use cycle, I refill the tank a couple of times to get a good "flow" from the tank to pull anything stuck to the bottom.

Every now and again, I'll use any product that's labeled saying "lubricates seals and valves". I don't know if it helps but it's only a cheap precaution.

When we travel, I always dump the tank a few days before traveling, leaving a few days worth of usage in the tank. As soon as we arrive at a new destination, I hook up and dump and flush the black tank.
So far, we've never had an issue with any of our tanks. Black or gray. I'll knock on wood now...:cool:

JanAndBill

We don't open the tank valve on the black or gray tank until they are full. Drain the black then the gray tank to flush the hose. The last time we drain the tank before a move, we drain the black tank, flush the tank, then drain the gray tank. We then run a little fresh water in each tank, and add little dishwasher detergent to each. If we plan on putting the unit in storage, we drain the tanks on the road before we get home then add tank chemicals. Never had a problem yet. I do like the ice idea, and the water softner maybe in conjunction with the dishdetergent,

jayc

Legendary Member
I tried the ice method one time but couldn't tell any difference. I now use Dave's method of using lots of water and flushing well without any chemicals and it has worked well for over a year. Oh yeah, and I don't even look at the gauges any more. When the toilet "burps", it's time to dump and flush the tank, followed by the grey water to clean out the sewer hose.

jimtoo

I tried the ice method one time but couldn't tell any difference. I now use Dave's method of using lots of water and flushing well without any chemicals and it has worked well for over a year. Oh yeah, and I don't even look at the gauges any more. When the toilet "burps", it's time to dump and flush the tank, followed by the grey water to clean out the sewer hose.

We do the same as Jay,, but I add one thing. After black tank is "empty" but with the flush still running, I get the wife to fill the commode to the brim and put the pedal to the metal. Step on lever so it dumps the water as fast as the pipe will take it. Do this about 4--8 times. You will be surprised how much more stuff comes out.

Jim M

traveler44

The best thing I have found for breaking down the solids is liquid laundry detergent. I put some detergent in right after I am finished dumping and washing the tank. I always use a section of clear fitting on the drain ahead of the hose and run the tank washer for quite awhile sometimes I will see the flow slow down for awhile and then there will be a rush of water and broken up solids come down. This is the only way that I can get the monitor to show empty. If you start getting a build up of solids and the monitor won't show empty after you dump the tank, fill the toilet with water and get an extra bucket full then when you flush the toilet hold the bucket up as high as you can and pour the bucketful down. Then when you go out turn the tank washer on again and you should see the water turn brown again for awhile. I tried the geo method for awhile but I figured out I was just wasting money on water softener so I quit adding the calgon. Tom