Black Tank Water Flush System

I recently bought a 2017 Heartland North Trail 24BHS nd made demo video but lost the video. I am unsure on how to use this new system as I didn't have it on my old smaller trailer. I see there is only only 1 exit pipe and one lever that when opened released the grey water tank. Any help on how to use the black tank flush system?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There may be only one sewer outlet, but generally black and gray tanks have separate valves. One some types, the handle may be reached through a hole in the frame. The black tank flush system looks like a standard female garden hose fitting, separate from your city water connection. Make sure the black tank valve is open while using the flusher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for responding. I see the one 3 inch sewer outlet drain but only the one lever to release gray water. I don't see any black water valve lever anywhere. The under carriage seems very sealed up. I'm at a loss.

There may be only one sewer outlet, but generally black and gray tanks have separate valves. One some types, the handle may be reached through a hole in the frame. The black tank flush system looks like a standard female garden hose fitting, separate from your city water connection. Make sure the black tank valve is open while using the flusher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hopefully another North Trail owner will comment on where it is. But you have two separate waste tanks and they should have separate valves, even though there is a common sewer outlet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Domi

Hey Sharkhunter,

On all the North Trails I have seen the valves are on either side of the 3 in outlet. Look on the other side and see if you see a rod without a handle or maybe just the part of the valve body sticking out below the bottom. Sometimes the handles and/or rods will fall off. If that is the case you can get a replacement at any RV shop. Once you get it installed just like the grey side then you should be able to dump the black tank. I typically run 3 to 4 pails of water down the toilet once it finishes draining to get the rest of the stuff out. I have had little luck with the built in flush system other than to waste gallons of water. You can also pick up a wand at Walmart that will a hose you spray out the inside of the black tank by feeding it down from the toilet. I use it when we have full hookups just to keep it all clean.

If you still cannot find it, post a picture of the grey and the drain, then one of your underside. We should be able to help you once we see what you go for sure.

Good Luck,

John

Gaffer

Do you have a question about the black water flush system or can you just not find the valve handles for your black and grey tanks?

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
If you have a black tank flush installed, there will be a hose port (just like city water) above the outlet, on the side of the trailer. The T-handle for your black tank may have fallen off, if you look to the left of the outlet and see a bolt looking thing, that is you problem and a new T-handle is the fix, otherwise the whole rod may be gone and/or the valve is in need of replacement.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you have a rear kitchen then you may have more than one drain.

Our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 22RK had a rear kitchen that had it's own gray tank and and drain and the bathroom had it's own drain for black and grey in front of the wheels on the off door side.

If you don't have the rear kitchen, then your black and gray should look something like this (I've added the Valterra extra drain valve):

ProwlerDrainCap-P3290012.jpg

Black on left, gray on right, plus there should be a sticker on the side of the trailer pointing you to the drains.