Black tank will not empty

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the water is running down the pipe from above, in the wall cavity, it's probably the anti-siphon valve (ASV). In a word, they're plastic garbage. In your shower, there should be an access port in the wall under the faucet fixture. You may be able to reach the valve there, depending on your floor plan. If that's the culprit, you can replace it with a brass one.

Some of us, where the faIled ASV was stuck up a wall cavity with no access, ripped them out and used a brass check valve, instead.

If the water is running down the pipe from above, in the wall cavity, it's probably the anti-siphon valve (ASV). In a word, they're plastic garbage. In your shower, there should be an access port in the wall under the faucet fixture. You may be able to reach the valve there, depending on your floor plan. If that's the culprit, you can replace it with a brass one.

Some of us, where the faIled ASV was stuck up a wall cavity with no access, ripped them out and used a brass check valve, instead.

No it is not any valve it is the actual inlet hose I’ve found the hole using my borescope but lack of space to reach it I’m pretty sure it would be in front of the showers faucet if it was to go straight up I feel like if the the hot water heater was removed I would be able to splice it back together but seems like a bit much was hoping for a different way

JohnDar

Rather than splicing the existing line, can you fish a whole new one with the access you have? If the ASV is behind the port hole in the shower, you could disconnect both ends of the leaker, tape the new line to one end and use it to pull the replacement into position and then connect it. Use a piece of new PEX a bit longer so you don’t end up short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather than splicing the existing line, can you fish a whole new one with the access you have? If the ASV is behind the port hole in the shower, you could disconnect both ends of the leaker, tape the new line to one end and use it to pull the replacement into position and then connect it. Use a piece of new PEX a bit longer so you don’t end up short.

Well running a new line would work for me also but your thinking this hose I could get access to if I take off the faucet from the shower? Because I’ve tried to see if I could find it from the sink and definitely isn’t there

JohnDar

Well running a new line would work for me also but your thinking this hose I could get access to if I take off the faucet from the shower? Because I’ve tried to see if I could find it from the sink and definitely isn’t there

I'm working based on how many of the ASV's are plumbed into these rigs and guessing yours is behind the shower. The used to put a round white access port under the shower valve fixture and in many rigs, the ASV was behind it. If your rig does not have that port, then getting at the ASV does become more of a problem. In the photo, taken on the assembly line, you can get an idea of what I mean. The black plastic thing is the ASV.

In my rig, there is that access port, but the ASV was jammed up a wall cavity behind the toilet, not the shower, so I had to rip the whole thing down and out through the basement. In a way, it was a good thing because when it dumped, it would have taken out my furnace had it been behind the shower.

Attachments

• Tank Flush Anti-siphon (2).JPG
    Tank Flush Anti-siphon (2).JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 27
I'm working based on how many of the ASV's are plumbed into these rigs and guessing yours is behind the shower. The used to put a round white access port under the shower valve fixture and in many rigs, the ASV was behind it. If your rig does not have that port, then getting at the ASV does become more of a problem. In the photo, taken on the assembly line, you can get an idea of what I mean. The black plastic thing is the ASV.

In my rig, there is that access port, but the ASV was jammed up a wall cavity behind the toilet, not the shower, so I had to rip the whole thing down and out through the basement. In a way, it was a good thing because when it dumped, it would have taken out my furnace had it been behind the shower.

Yeah so mine is in in the wall in front of the shower but can’t tell how far it goes from there
But does sit above the furnace so it this attached to something or is that what the picture is?
ive considered making a slightly larger hole behind the shower facet and cut the line there and
and splice it but i don’t know how else I would be able to fix it considering the way it’s ran

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so so after my last response I decided to dig some more into it I found exactly that picture about midway up my shower

JohnDar

I don’t believe the ASV is attached to anything back there, it just sits at the end of the pipe. If you have your basement walls out, you should be able to see the line to it and the one that goes to the tank.

If you can access it through the shower (do you have that port in yours), you could disconnect the supply line and use it to pull the new line up.

An alternative would be to disconnect both lines in the basement, pull the thing down and repair/replace the leaking line. Then shove it back up into the wall. If you do this, I would recommend changing the ASV to a brass one, while you’re at it.