Black water float sticks

norloff1

For the second time on our 2011 24RKS the black water sensor reads that the tank is 1/3 full when it is empty. I am sure that the float is stuck. The first time I took it in, they cleaned the float after taking the tank off. It was expensive. Now it has happened again. We almost always use the campground facilities and rarely use the toilet in the trailer. Is there a product available that will clean or loosen whatever is binding the float? I tried filling the tank with a mixture of bleach and water with no luck. Something stronger has to be available. I hate to have this problem every few trips.

branson4020

Icantre Member
There is no float. The tank level monitoring system uses sensors attached to the inside wall of the tank. They are notoriously unreliable. Most of us just learn to estimate and ignore them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Norloff1,

Welcome to the forum!

I cannot say what your dealer did or didn't do before, but here is a link to a video of how the tank sensors work. There isn't a float. However, these sensors get "contaminated" and do not read correctly, quite often. (This particular video shows a product to replace the probes with their brand, I do not endorse the product, just like the demo video for the explanation.)

Most of us have learned to ignore the read-out on the panel and dump when appropriate. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on ways to keep your tank clean.

Erika

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
IMHO, it is probably paper stuck to the sensors.
When you flush your tank close the valve at progressively longer intervals, ie; 30 seconds. 60 seconds etc. Don't forget and leave it on, or overfill it.
Normally after a while, it will free whatever is stuck to it.
I usually know about how full mine is, but worse case senario, it will sort of belch air back at you when you flush, if it is full. Trace

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I really hope that some dealer didnt tell him that they took the Black tank out and cleaned a float.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We periodically add some Dawn dish washing detergent to the black tank to help keep it and the sensors clean. The sensors seldom work correctly on any of the tanks.

GOTTOYS

Just wait til you hear the toilet burp back at you when you go to flush. This means the tank is full and the air can't get out the vent. You'll know it when it happens. That's when it's time to dump. I haven't looked at any of my tank sensors ever. They never read correctly. Every brand of trailer is the same, not just a Heartland problem. Once you learn the signs that a tank is full it just won't be a big deal...Don

eddylives

I read a little trick for cleaning up a black tank. (on a trailer 101 site)
Start with an empty tank just before you are going to travel.
Fill it up with water to about 1/3 full , add two or three bags of ice cubes through the toilet and then drive.
The action of the ice sloshing around the tank for awhile before it melts is suposed to scour the tank and sensors clean.
I have never tried it myself but it seems as though it will work in theory??

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We always dump ice in the toilet after cleaning tanks. We still have issues with panel lights not being correct, so not a reliable fix. ;)

We tried the ice method on our trip this week and it worked wonderfully. Our sensor has been stuck for over a year and now it is responding correctly. Thanks for the information.
Sara and Louie
Northtrail 28BRS

RCF

Hmmm, we've had our SOB TT for about 4 yrs and have had no issues with the sensors working properly. I usually dump a couple of scoops of High Effiency washing machine powder in while I'm doing the black tank flush.

You all seem to be familiar with this problem. I was wondering if anyone had attempted to clean the sensors or knew how to access them. I've had problems with my 310QB since i bought it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The reason everybody is familiar is because most everyone has or will have the same issue.
If you were to clean the sensors it would be a short lived cure.
As some have mentioned, the use of a good detergent or replacement aftermarket replacements are your best options.

Peace
Dave

I was also curious about the ease of access to the sensors or if there was a service manual available to the public. I'm sure the dealer has access but I'm not a fan of paying high prices.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You are probably best of you just learn when the tanks are full.
If the water no longer goes down the drain.... time to empty.
When the toilet kinda burps....time to empty.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The sensors are spin mounted through the wall of the tanks. I don't think you really want to try removing them to clean them. There are the Horst probes, which require drilling new holes, or the SeeLevel probes which stick to the outside and read through the tank wall. I believe either system can be reconnected to the existing probe wires. Problem is getting at the tanks to do the job. Usually for us, when the toilet makes a deeper sound when flushed, it getting close to full. If it burps (actually a small back splash), it needs to be dumped. The Gray tanks get dumped when the black tank does, unless the sinks don't want to drain. Then I'll just partially dump them so I have a cleaner flush for the sewer line when the black tank is ready.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
WE use laundry soap and water softener. When Kenny is done flushing the tank we put this and 6 gallons of water..

donr827

We have not had any problems with the sensors on our past three trailers. We use LOTS of water with the flushes. When ever I dump the black tank I spend a extra 15 minutes using the black tank flush to build water up in the tank and dump again and again. Keep it up until the water coming out looks clear.
Don