Blocking a Fifth wheel

Razimith

I have a question I have noticed that a lot of travel trailers are blocked up if they are going to be in a spot for while. However I did not notice any fifth wheels being blocked up. My question is since we are going to park it for a year or so at a campground should i block it up and get if off the suspension or is wood under the tires just fine.

ER 35QSQB

olcoon

At the national rally, Tredit tire said that if you store, your trailer on asphalt, or if it's going to be sitting on asphalt for an extended period, you should have some thin plywood or something similar, under the tires. The oil in the asphalt will damage the rubber in the tires. Also, I've read, or heard someplace (possibly again from Tredit) that if the tires are going to be sitting on the small gravel that's usually at the campsites, you should do the same thing. Theroy is that if one of the pieces of gravel has a sharp point, sitting there, and with movement from the trailer from wind, walking in it, etc, can cause the gravel to work into the tire, and create a flat.

Wharton

We just put the 5th on our boards when it goes into storage. Just seems to make sense to us. We have been doing this for 30+ years(shudder, maybe longer) and have never had a tire problem.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Razimith, While it's not necessary to remove the tires, you should cover them to decrease exposure to UV. Also, blocking may help remove any bouncing or movement you might feel while walking around the rig. We've added a set of scissors jacks in front of the tires to help with this and it seems to make a big difference.