Blowing fuses

Lobovista

My landing gear has started blowing fuses during normal operation (not at the stops). Blew 4 fuses today trying to raise enough to hook up the truck. Had to manually raise the last couple of inches for hookup. Seams like the motor can't handle the weight of the trailer. Anyone else have this problem? Hoping the motor will raise enough to hookup in the morning so we can go home.

danemayer

Hi Lobovista,

If you're blowing fuses and are not at the stop, there's something else causing excessive current draw. Check the charge on your battery, make sure battery cables are tight and have clean connections, check for loose wires going to the landing gear. Check where the wires make turns that they're not damaged.

Lobovista

Just put in a new bad *** battery 3 days ago and cleaned all the connections. Will check the wiring to the motor tomorrow. It seems to really strain when lifting and I was barely able to crank the unit up manually. Can something be binding?

danemayer

A bind could do it too.

If you had a problem with the battery a few days ago, you may be having some other problem - like maybe the battery isn't getting charged. If you have a volt meter, when plugged into shore power you should see >13 Volts DC. If less, you may not be getting power output from the power converter.

If that's the case, our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide may help you sort through the electrical issues.

Jim.Allison

Loose and corroded connections equal increased resistance and blown fuses. I spied a relay/solenoid in my rig the other day, I thought they went by way of the fin, but I guess not. This could be the source of your problem if everything else checks out. Those old fashioned relays can get burned up by low batts. ---- just a thought

Lobovista

Thanks for the advice. Is the relay you refer to part of the landing gear circuit? Looks like to me there is just the switch. I replaced the battery cause it was time, over 4 years old and the lights were dimming. New battery has lots of capacity and all the 12 volt items work like new. We are home now and will check the battery voltage as well as all the wiring and motor mount(seems a little loose and sloppy). I really suspect something binding, I can barely hand crank the gear and am blowing fuses just trying too lift a few inches to hook up.
is there a way to lubricate the shaft tube? My pin weight is about 1,800 lbs which seems right to me. We have never damaged the gear, just don't understand why it is so hard the extend. There is even resistance when retracting the gear by hand.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There should be a cap on the top of the landing gear legs.
As a quick trial you can pop those caps of and dump a bunch of lube into the shafts and gears.
It's normal for the motor to be hanging loosely.

Peace
Dave

Jim.Allison

My relay looks like one of the old time starter solenoids. Mine is located next to the hydraulic fluid tank. You should be able to trace you main power feed directly to it.

Lobovista

Dave, I inspected the leg assemblies and noticed what looks like a grease fitting on the back where the gears would be. According to the HOM Venture manual, these units are life time lubricated. Would it hurt or help to put some grease thru the fitting?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would have no problems lubing every thing I could see there.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Gary521

I have taken apart a few of these landing gears. The problem is the lack of lubrication for the jack screw. No matter what is said , the screw is NOT permanently lubricated. A few of us have drilled holes in the outer leg so that we can get grease on the screw. The landing gear needs to be raised so that the inner leg allows access directly to the jack screw.

wdk450

Just to help eliminate the battery concerns/workload, I make it a point to always plug in the shorepower cable just before operating the landing gear when arriving at a space, to allow the 60 amps of 12 volts DC from the converter to help the batteries out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just to help eliminate the battery concerns/workload, I make it a point to always plug in the shorepower cable just before operating the landing gear when arriving at a space, to allow the 60 amps of 12 volts DC from the converter to help the batteries out.

We do too