Blue Ridge Parkway

campfire7

We are planning a trip up the east coast and would like to drive the BRP , Is it legal to pull a T/T on the Parkway? and I would like to hear from those who have done the BRP while camping. Can you do it, was it hard to enjoy the views having the trailer , finding places to park in the pullouts etc.

southernlady5464

Legal, yes, wise, no. It is twisty/turny and every time you hit a turnout, others have already filled it up. I’ve only done it once in a standard car and even that was a bit nerve wrackin.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Leave the camper in the CG. Not a fun road to drive let along tow a camper unless you’re on a motorcycle.

david-steph2018

If you are also talking about "The Tail of the Dragon" area, I would not. It is 11 miles with over 300 turns. it is great on a motorcycle or a slingshot, but not towing. I did this section in 1982 on a motorcycle from Charleston Naval Base, now I understand they finally banned trucks on it.

dewwood

Good advice already, leave the camper at CG. There are also several low overpasses that a fifth wheel will not fit not sure about a
TT it would depend on it's height. Further toward the north end there is about 100 miles you can tow on and is not bad.

MTPockets

We tried by car a number of years ago by car. After a few hours of pure boredom we abandoned the idea. Too many trees, too few views.

rhodies1

Listen to what everyone has stated,,,yes I towed a 5th wheel from Fancy Gap Virginia To Roanoake...was not a fun Drive in a lot of areas.Steep dangerous curves and once you are on the Parkway there are very very few places to get off with a towed unit behind.
I’m from Nova Scotia Canada and was not familiar with the highway,I am now and would not tow a trailer through there again.Play it safe and leave unit in campgrounds and take day trips to see the scenery.Its beautiful and well worth the time.

campfire7

Listen to what everyone has stated,,,yes I towed a 5th wheel from Fancy Gap Virginia To Roanoake...was not a fun Drive in a lot of areas.Steep dangerous curves and once you are on the Parkway there are very very few places to get off with a towed unit behind.
I’m from Nova Scotia Canada and was not familiar with the highway,I am now and would not tow a trailer through there again.Play it safe and leave unit in campgrounds and take day trips to see the scenery.Its beautiful and well worth the time.
Thats what I am thinking, can you remember what highway you used to go from campground to campground pulling the trailer?

mlpeloquin

We drove it in a rented SUV eleven years ago. I think I do remember that there was a sigh warning RV and trailers that there was a tunnel that was very low clearance. Do keep your rig in a camp ground and drive it. Even if you have to spend one night in a hotel. We did this in the spring when at low level everything was leafed out, then progressed tho the highest level was just budding out. Great views. When trees leaf out they can and do have reds, yellow, and light green. It was beautiful. Some plants were also in bloom. DSC00227.jpg

rhodies1

The bridges on the Blue Ridge Parkway that we encountered are ARCED and we needed to run the middle of the road to get through...It was beautiful scenery but not fun hauling. Park unit and use tow vehicle on day trips

david-steph2018

To really experience the The Tail of the Dragon you should try a Slingshot or a motorcycle. A motorcycle ride on that is awesome. I remember when we got finished my arms were tried 300+ turns in 11 miles. But now I need to try the wife into trying it on a Slingshot at least.