bouncing front to back when rolling ?

LBR

If there is room for two friction plates, then there is too much slop in the manufacturing of the hitch. I have a Husky and could not even think of fitting a second friction plate because there is not enough space.

When I watched the video, I could see a little bit of movement like the pinbox could be lifting straight up a bit off of the saddle/friction plate area.....not much, but if it could be shimmed with a second friction plate for testing purposes only/troubleshooting/process of elimination.....why not try it?

This is Curt literature from the Q24....the second sentence assures that Curt is aware of a minute extra room for up and down slop when the jaws have ahold of the pin for either 1 thicker, or 2 thinner plates.

39b11509eab1bcc5decdabae1b893011.jpg

Jwill18

This may not help at all, but I have a 2017 f350 pulling 17k lb RW. I'm pulling with a B&W companion hitch (using Ford puck system) without anything in the garage and I'm not getting any of that. Just fwiw....

Jason

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

justafordguy

I have a 17 F350 pulling 15k with a Curt Q20 and ford puck system and mine doesn't do that at all so I don't think it's the brake controller or the truck either. Something is going on with that hitch.

Bones

Perhaps trailer axles not in the correct spot causing pin wait to be too light
Nope this is from a transition in the road and the hitch not holding the pin. the head moves quite a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps trailer axles not in the correct spot causing pin wait to be too light
If the axles were moved back they would be in the door. I should have about 2300 to 2800 lbs of pin weight

Marc123

My friend got a second top from Curt and he still has the same problem. He is going to send the hitch back to Curt and go with a Husky like he had in his other truck

Hello John , I think that will not change anything but Curt wants me to try the new top plate before paying it back to me in full ....

porthole

Retired
At least you don't have this

Nope this is from a transition in the road and the hitch not holding the pin. the head moves quite a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

If the axles were moved back they would be in the door. I should have about 2300 to 2800 lbs of pin weight

Weight - Dave what you should have and what you actually have are two different things.

Have you done an accurate weight measurement yet?

If you still have that problem next time we see each other, lets do a test.
Go to a CAT scale do the two weights and then use my pin weight scale and compare.

But, I still think in your video you have to little of a pin weight.

As to the OP's video, it almost appears to be the same thing, not enough pin weight. But it also looks like his pin box may not be flat, so as to not allow a good contact between the pin box and saddle.

As to whether using one or two 'lube plates', that shouldn't matter. The manufacturers don't sell the hitches with those plates, nor have I seen any required on any of the hitches I have used. So if I use a hitch with a 1/4" lube plate it should work just as well without the plate.

The lube plates are not utilized for taking up space, they are used to not have to grease up the saddle and pin box and make a mess - that sooner or later we all walk into.

Bones

Weight - Dave what you should have and what you actually have are two different things.

Have you done an accurate weight measurement yet?

If you still have that problem next time we see each other, lets do a test.
Go to a CAT scale do the two weights and then use my pin weight scale and compare.

But, I still think in your video you have to little of a pin weight.

As to the OP's video, it almost appears to be the same thing, not enough pin weight. But it also looks like his pin box may not be flat, so as to not allow a good contact between the pin box and saddle.

As to whether using one or two 'lube plates', that shouldn't matter. The manufacturers don't sell the hitches with those plates, nor have I seen any required on any of the hitches I have used. So if I use a hitch with a 1/4" lube plate it should work just as well without the plate.

The lube plates are not utilized for taking up space, they are used to not have to grease up the saddle and pin box and make a mess - that sooner or later we all walk into.

I'll see if I can get to a cat scale this weekend if were not snowed in to get you an actual with the trailer empty just propane, batteries and a gel mattress on the bed. Even if it is thought to be too light the trailer was made this way and how would I fix it because eventually that will lead to an accident.

porthole

Retired
I'll see if I can get to a cat scale this weekend if were not snowed in to get you an actual with the trailer empty just propane, batteries and a gel mattress on the bed. Even if it is thought to be too light the trailer was made this way and how would I fix it because eventually that will lead to an accident.

Is that the way the the trailer was loaded when you took that video?

Have you been to a CAT scale before?

If not and for those that have not .......

Drive onto the scale, they will ask for a name and truck number, make something up, get your weigh in.
Drive around and find an empty spot, drop the trailer and go back on the scale, try and get the same scale and stop close to where you did with the trailer.

Ask for a "re-weigh". Most CAT scales only charge a dollar or 2 for a re-weigh within 24 hours.

Do you math and you have some good numbers to work with.

Do this once a year and keep a log and you may be surprised how much weight you gain :rolleyes:

Bones

Is that the way the the trailer was loaded when you took that video?

Have you been to a CAT scale before?

If not and for those that have not .......

Drive onto the scale, they will ask for a name and truck number, make something up, get your weigh in.
Drive around and find an empty spot, drop the trailer and go back on the scale, try and get the same scale and stop close to where you did with the trailer.

Ask for a "re-weigh". Most CAT scales only charge a dollar or 2 for a re-weigh within 24 hours.

Do you math and you have some good numbers to work with.

Do this once a year and keep a log and you may be surprised how much weight you gain :rolleyes:
Yes I have weighed the trailer fully loaded a couple years ago. The only thing is I didn't unhook the truck and weight it separately. That is why my numbers are figures. And that is how I figured out my 2500 was overloaded.

- - - Updated - - -

I also just want to point out that this happened after the truck kicked the trailer up from the dip in the road

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I guess I'm lucky . . .

The only time I ever get any chucking is right after I hitch up and pull for the first time.

Once the Prowler settles in it is pretty smooth!

ProwlerMeasure-P1020514.jpg

Alan_B

Low pin weight could be part of the problem.

We weighed our rig in October, fully loaded for a trip. The pin weight was 17.5% (2,580 lbs pin / 14,740 total trailer). We did have a fair bit of chucking on most highway surfaces.

Last week we added a 300 lb. Onan Cummins LP generator to the front bay. I have not re-weighed the unit, but I estimate this would take us to about 19% pin weight. On the drive home from Elkhart the chucking was not completely gone, but noticeably less.

RV-Manny

I got new F450 2017 with Curt Q24 for pullling a Heartland Roar Warrior toy hauler 16000 lbs 3 axles and for my first ryde , I got terrible bouncing front to back when rolling ?

Can you help me to resolve this trouble ?

Exactly because of this problem I started right away with the Andersen hitch (Aluminum Version 2). Last August I made a trip from FL to IA and back and I never had chucking, bouncing. Just a smooth ride. Buy an Andersen hitch and you will never regret.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk