Brake Adjustment for 2015 Big Country

G8orwayne

We are full timers and have had our 2015 Big Country parked in the same place for almost two years. We are heading across Country again and my question is do I need to adjust my brakes or are they self adjusting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi G8orwayne,

I'd expect your rig has Dexter self-adjusting brakes.

But if it's been sitting for 2 years, you should carefully inspect the tires for minor cracks or other indications that they might not be up to the trip. If they're Towmaster/Towmax, you should replace them before leaving. If your wheels are rated for 110 psi / 3750 lbs (check inside of rims) Sailun S637 or Goodyear G614 tires would be a good choice.

You might also want to have the bearings repacked. The grease may have deteriorated while sitting.

G8orwayne

Thanks. Tires are Goodyear load rating G and in good shape. Do I need to pull forward then back up and hit the brakes to allow for adjusting?

danemayer

Thanks. Tires are Goodyear load rating G and in good shape. Do I need to pull forward then back up and hit the brakes to allow for adjusting?

Dexter self-adjusting brakes should adjust when using the brakes while going forward.

brw549

I could not agree more with Dan on the tires for your RV. Just because they look good does not mean they are safe. Look for the manufactures date on tire. I would almost bet your tires are three years old or more. I have experienced the Towmax/Blowmax world and its not pleasant. Two tires one trip and the second blowout ripped the hydraulics for my leveling system and all wiring under the camper out. My new rule of thumb is all tires after three years get replaced. As to your brakes if they are self adjusting correctly you should not have to do anything other than drive and apply the brakes.

alexb2000

3 years?

I would rather have a good commercial G rated like a 614 for 10 years than a cheap tire for 3. At some point age is a factor, but this can become like changing your oil every 1K miles.... excessive.

Here is a truck tire service document for reference, they certainly don't recommend replacement every 3 years (page 54):

http://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/XOneTireServiceManual_53-78.pdf

I believe HEAT is the killer, just like this document says; I would be more concerned about that than anything and having a tire that can easily carry the load is a good start to controlling heat.

SNOKING

Lack of movement is not good for tires. A rolling tire keeps the chemicals "stirred up" so to speak. I would have a GY Wingfoot Commercial tire store check them over carefully, let them know that they sat for two years. Remember even china bombs look great right up to the moment they blow!

Chris