Brake light bulb ????

pitch black

Im on my 3rd bulb, for the right side brake, tail light. first my brother in law was following me and told me the light was out, went and got a 2 pack and replaced it, this past weekend when camping, a guy helping me back in said you have a tail light out. same one. the first one from factory was broke or burnt into. the second time i changed it, it was very black. any ideas what may be causing this. checked it when i returned this past weekend, and it was still working, but for how long. thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The only thing I can think of would be a weak connection somewhere. Is it safe to assume it's not a sealed fixture? Or is it like an 1157 automotive type bulb.

StevieWonder

I agree on the vibration source. Sounds like it's shorting out and frying the bulb. Electrical issues, especially the mystery kind, are really, really difficult to track down. It will be an easy fix once you find the source of the problem but that may be a long, frustrating process.

I'd remove the taillight fixture and see if find any obvious loose wiring connections, especially in the part that receives the base of the bulb. If you can't find anything, I'd consider replacing the fixture. Good luck ... you're probably going to need it. :confused:

StevieWonder

Another idea is to switch the two brake light fixtures if they are interchangeable. That way you will know if it follows the fixture or is in the wiring prior to the fixture. That would be my first move.

You may well find that the dealer can't pinpoint the problem either on the first shot. It may be expensive and frustrating driving back and forth and leaving the unit only to find it's not fixed.

Last edited:

mcbubba

Blown right brake bulb

Had the exact same problem with my 3012RE. Take the lens covers off both sides and you will notice that left side has a flat cover over the bulb that reflects light down on your license plate. It also keeps water that gets between housing and cover from dripping onto and blowing the bulb. You could seal the covers but all I had to do was make a similar shield from white plastic and mount it over the bulb on the right side. Haven't had the problem since. mcbubba

Camp`r_Capt`n

Brett2691
I have been having the same problem too on our 09 BC 3355 we bought in July. I just keep extra bulbs on hand for now. Was going to have the dealer look at in when I send it in next month for some waranty work.

chrizg

Humm, Have the same model as you pitch, and I had my first burn out on the right side last weekend. Haven't changed it yet..

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Pitch, is the bulb black in color when you replace it?? If it is, you have a water intrusion problem. If you don't want to replace the lamp assembly, I would suggest that you drill a very small hole in the bottom of the lamp to let the water out. Also put some grease on the bulb base when you replace them. Bob:D

chrizg

When I checked my blub it had rust on on side of the connectoins. Mine also has the plastic cover over the bulb on the left side but not the right side light. Going to add a plastic cover I guess to try that.

pitch black

Pitch, is the bulb black in color when you replace it?? If it is, you have a water intrusion problem. If you don't want to replace the lamp assembly, I would suggest that you drill a very small hole in the bottom of the lamp to let the water out. Also put some grease on the bulb base when you replace them. Bob:D
yes it was black, what type of grease? and what does the grease do?

sharmulst

changing bulb in tail light

I know this may sound like a stupid question but how do you remove the tail light assembly. The inboard light on the left hand side is burned out and do not want to pull hard on the rubber seal for fear of damaging it. However, that looks like the only way it comes out. This is our first burned out taillight bulb in 3 1/2 years.

jnbhobe

tail & stop lite

Sharmulst; Just pry it out,you may spray a little wd-40 on it to help it along, The rubber grommet is all that holds it in.A replacement sould be available at the parts store for under five bucks. they are common on trucks. Good Luck JON

chrizg

Sharmulst
On the top of your tail light cover there is a white tab in the middle, press in on that white tab to remove the red lense cover

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I have and O5 Ram and just replaced my 2rd right brake light bulb this past week.
Regards
Wayne

jnbhobe

By the way NOW is the time to change to LED's They don't burn out nearly as often then Its only one