Brake Wires?

MonsterRide

I was doing some work on my Cyclone today and if got underneath it. I noticed these wires that appeared severed. I'm not sure how. Should these wires be connected?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390270938.862997.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390270938.862997.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 213

jasons09cyclone

I wonder if it was who ever installed the correct tract on your springs might have pulled them. But yes they should be connected.

evolvingpowercat

trailer brakes are never wired in series all should be parallel. ... or at least not wired in series by anyone who knows what they are doing.

I know on the Edge Heartland engineered the trailer brake wiring poorly and its not in any sort of protective sleeve and the wires could rub between where they left the harness and the wheel hubs and since no sleeve they were starting to rub thru the wires. I sleeved mine to eliminate this problem. Sometimes it makes me wonder don't the engineers at Heartland get and use their own trailers so they could see the "oops" things and fix them in the designs. Something like this would cost maybe $ 2 per trailer to fix if the engineers would just spec the wiring harness correctly with the 10 cent sleeves on the wires going to the brakes.

MonsterRide

For me to get this looked at would require me to hitch up and take it to the dealer. Couldn't I just reattach the wires, then wrap them in electricians tape?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
When I'm connecting wires that are subject to outdoor exposure I'll solder them then coat thoroughly with a silicone sealant and use shrink tubing over that before the sealant sets. (From personal experience......ALWAYS slip the shrink tubing on to the wire before soldering!:mad:) The silicone is to slow down the corrosion inside the wire insulation as water always seems to find it's way inside.

porthole

Retired
When I'm connecting wires that are subject to outdoor exposure I'll solder them then coat thoroughly with a silicone sealant and use shrink tubing over that before the sealant sets. (From personal experience......ALWAYS slip the shrink tubing on to the wire before soldering!:mad:) The silicone is to slow down the corrosion inside the wire insulation as water always seems to find it's way inside.

"Adhesive lined shrink tubing"

Eliminate the silicone.

MonsterRide

I am going to solder then use shrink tubing. Another question: Is there a way to test my brakes to see if they are working while my RV is parked?

danemayer

I am going to solder then use shrink tubing. Another question: Is there a way to test my brakes to see if they are working while my RV is parked?

If you have auto-leveling, you can lift one side slightly off the ground at a time. Check that the wheels spin freely. Then pull the breakaway cable and they should lock up immediately. Plug the breakaway switch back after checking each side.

3ares

Simple way to check if brakes are getting electricity is: have DW apply and release brake controller slide switch while you walk around putting a compass near wheels. You should see the needle fluxuate when slide switch is activated.

MonsterRide

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I reconnected the wires using Solder and shrink tubing. I also moved the wires out of the way of the trailer springs.

When I went to remove the tubing around the wires to reconnect them there was rust on both ends. From that it appears that they were severed when they got caught up in the trailer springs (which also has rust on them) which severed them.