Braking and Diesel Trucks

RVFun4Us

Contemplating the purchase of a 2006 Ford F-350 Lariat to pull my 2008 Heartland Big Horn 3055. Never owned a diesel truck before and was wondering if there are any considerations that I may need to look at before purchase? One concern of mine is any braking limitations with diesels versus gas trucks. This truck has a tow/haul button and built-in electric brakes. When going down a 5% grade, is it enough to just put the automatic transmission into a lower gear and used the brakes as needed? I have been told that Fords do not use Jake or Exhaust brakes, at least in this model year. The Ford mechanic told me this. He said just gearing down and using the combination truck and trailer brakes is sufficient. Need any thoughts from you guys/gals before I make a final purchase. Thanks.

porthole

Retired
2006 Ford's have some engine issues. You should have it checked by a competent tech before purchasing.
EGR systems, head gaskets, cooling systems, turbos.....................

Gearing down and the truck and trailer brakes will do a pretty good job, providing your trailer brakes are up to the task.

PhotoPete

Im with Porthole on this. I'll add that I have a Chevy with Exhaust Brakes and I absolutely love them for towing!!

jnbhobe

I have had two of these trucks and never had a problem with either one !! But what Duane says is true there have been problems and most have been covered by warranty. As far as braking these have been the best I've had, use the tow haul its amazing. It works like the Allison in the GM's.

ILH

I'll second that motion regarding exhaust brakes. I've got them on my 2011 GMC and love them! I even use them without the trailer when decelleration on the highway off-ramps. So much smoother on the vdhicle.

RVFun4Us

Thanks everyone for your input. Based on that and researching the 6.0L Ford engines, I have decided not to purchase this truck. Wow, talk about alot of problems with that engine. Guess that is why Ford went to the 6.4 L in 2008, then the 6.7 L in 2011. Anyway, I am now looking at a 2007 Dodge RAM SLT 3500 Quad cab 4X4 with the 6 speed auto tranny, listed for $28000. It has 107,000 miles on it, which is more than I was hoping. What is everyone's take on whether that is alot of miles for a diesel or should it be a nonfactor in my consideration. It has the 6.7 L Cummins diesel and has the exhaust brakes built in which some of you thought was a good idea and I do too. Funny that Ford doesn't think the same way. Something that I am not familiar with is the add-ons (Smarty engine tuner and EGR valve delete kit and 3" exhaust system). Would appreciate your views on the price, miles, and the add-ons. Thanks again for your input.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2006 F250 Diesel. I have had problems but not with the block, and such. The fuel pump, fan clutch, EGR valve & Cooler, Oil Cooler. One common thing is that the Diesel Engine really is very dependable until they put all the polution crap on them. The EGR Valve causes a lot of problems with all of the Diesels.

I found this site that is something I am going to do when my warranty ends at 200k miles. Bullet Proof Diesel. This website will tell you a lot about a Ford Diesel.

Smarty engine tuner and EGR valve delete kit and 3" exhaust system

An EGR Block is when they take the EGR Valve and EGR Cooler and block the coolant line that the Cooler was on.
Smarty engine Tuner is an engine tuner to change the computer so you get more horsepower and many other thing. It is mainly for a Cummins Diesel Engine.
I use the Edge CST gages on my TV and it helps a lot. So far I have not made any changes or used a tuner.

The things I have read about the 6.0 is that the later built ones (such as mine) has few problems especially if the EGR is removed or changed to a better one like the one on Bullet Proof Diesel.

If you would get a newer Diesel they will have more power but the Pollution crap can still cause problems..

There are many out there that are more knowledgeable than I am but that is my thoughts.

FWIW
BC

Rooskie

I have a 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel. The built in exhaust break is awesome. I pull Parleys with our 5er 20+ times a year. I know that the exhaust brake has cut down considerably on my relying on the brakes for the truck and 5er. If I do not accelerate, the exhaust brake will slow me down to around 45 mph. Good choice. I used to have an 06' Dodge Diesel that did not have the exhaust brake. Don't miss that truck at all.

rick_debbie_gallant

We are very happy with our dodge. The exhaust brake is awesome as is the six speed granny and over drive and tow haul. Cant say enough goodnaboutnthis truck and the way it handles our rig rig

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

lwmcguir

Thanks everyone for your input. Based on that and researching the 6.0L Ford engines, I have decided not to purchase this truck. Wow, talk about alot of problems with that engine. Guess that is why Ford went to the 6.4 L in 2008, then the 6.7 L in 2011. Anyway, I am now looking at a 2007 Dodge RAM SLT 3500 Quad cab 4X4 with the 6 speed auto tranny, listed for $28000. It has 107,000 miles on it, which is more than I was hoping. What is everyone's take on whether that is alot of miles for a diesel or should it be a nonfactor in my consideration. It has the 6.7 L Cummins diesel and has the exhaust brakes built in which some of you thought was a good idea and I do too. Funny that Ford doesn't think the same way. Something that I am not familiar with is the add-ons (Smarty engine tuner and EGR valve delete kit and 3" exhaust system). Would appreciate your views on the price, miles, and the add-ons. Thanks again for your input.
If you plan on keeping a TV for several years go look and drive a new Ford. Best truck by far but it is going to cost you more up front. Less in the long term due to resale.

ILH

I think you'll find that there is heavy brand loyalty - once you have a vehicle, you're not likely to switch - at least that's what the marketing for the big three shows. My preference is GMC - but I won't bad-mouth anybody else's choice - it's what you're comfortable with. Besides, I've seen some pretty nice Dodges and Fords that I wouldn't turn away!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I think you'll find that there is heavy brand loyalty - once you have a vehicle, you're not likely to switch - at least that's what the marketing for the big three shows. My preference is GMC - but I won't bad-mouth anybody else's choice - it's what you're comfortable with. Besides, I've seen some pretty nice Dodges and Fords that I wouldn't turn away!

I like Fords, but I'd love to have the Cummins engine in the Ford body/chassis/interior!

jnbhobe

I'm a Ford man, I have had good service from them. I control about 50 cars and trucks, 95% of them are Fords.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I like Fords, but I'd love to have the Cummins engine in the Ford body/chassis/interior!
I would have liked to have that option as well. It's funny that the 6.7 Cummins is offered in 650s and 750s with Allison transmissions but nothing smaller.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'll second that motion regarding exhaust brakes. I've got them on my 2011 GMC and love them! I even use them without the trailer when decelleration on the highway off-ramps. So much smoother on the vdhicle.

Ditto.........Use mine even when running unloaded. Trace

Birchwood

You will find good deals on Dodges and the diesel is a great engine but everything else around the engine will
fall apart.The Fords are sold also sold at an attractive price but they always look loaded and fuel costs are high.
You will pay lots for a GM and there is a reason for that!

lwmcguir

You will find good deals on Dodges and the diesel is a great engine but everything else around the engine will
fall apart.The Fords are sold also sold at an attractive price but they always look loaded and fuel costs are high.
You will pay lots for a GM and there is a reason for that!
We used Dodge and GM on the ranch a few times. Always cost us a fortune when we went to trade them in. Now it is only Ford all the way. If you stay on the Hi-way all the time the others might be OK.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

I went from a 2005 Ford F250 with the 6.0. Loved the truck but after head gaskets and alot of down time, I was not the happiest with the engine. We now have a 2007 Dodge with the 6.7. Very strong and seems to be getting stronger everytime we go out (only 12.5k miles). I found that the exhaust brake by itself is awesome and with the towhaul mode, it is crazy.

All of the big three have great, powerful trucks. This one will pull anything I can afford and it fit my budget. I'm happy!!

My daughter's boyfriend is a test and eval engineer at Cummins. He thinks the 6.7 should go 300,000 with proper care and feeding-means that at 107K you are just well broke in.