Brand Spanking New!

pharmafrog

Not our 5'er, but us, to this forum.

We are currently Keystone Laredo 326LT owners and are looking to upgrade. I mean it is the American way. We have been owners for about 4 years and are looking at the Cyclone 4100 King.

New to toy haulers, we are asking a lot of questions and finding a great deal of information.

The hardest sell, as far as my wife is concerned, is going to be the Dually. I don't mind them, but she hates em. At 18K GVWR I am not completely comfortable on a single rear. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jimtoo

Hi pharmafrog,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with a Cyclone, and hopefully your wife will adapt to the dually. We love ours and would have nothing else.

Enjoy the forum and I am moving the thread to a better area for info from other Cyclone owners.

Jim M

oscar

Not our 5'er, but us, to this forum.

We are currently Keystone Laredo 326LT owners and are looking to upgrade. I mean it is the American way. We have been owners for about 4 years and are looking at the Cyclone 4100 King.

New to toy haulers, we are asking a lot of questions and finding a great deal of information.

The hardest sell, as far as my wife is concerned, is going to be the Dually. I don't mind them, but she hates em. At 18K GVWR I am not completely comfortable on a single rear. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome. Lots of discussion on the subject. As one who is actually pulling 18000# I can tell you there is no way I would do it with single rear tires. And, if you check your book you'll find out you can't. (Assuming the 18K GVWR you mention is for the trailer only and not a GCVW).

jeffdee

I have a 3110 (16,000#) that I am pulling with a 2010 F250 Superduty SRW. I am at the limits of the rated capacity for this truck. I installed rear air bags for more stability and to eliminate the "surging" when I am travelling bumpy roads.

Lately I have seen several 4100 Kings being pulled by SRW trucks and I can only assume that they are not properly (legally?) rated for the load and hitch weight of this larger toyhauler. (It is the DRW trucks that are.) I think that these owners are exposing themselves to a DOT inspection in the future that may require them to unhitch from the rv.

All trucks have factors of safety and design factors built into their specs from the factory, so actually seeing a SRW pulling a 4100 King is possible. It may be that you also run the risk of warranty claim denials on the truck if they determine you are loading the truck beyond its "rated" capacity.

thibideau

Suggest you let her take the wheel. My DW does all the driving since we got the new wheels. She is actually pretty **** good at it and she loves the dually.

pharmafrog

Welcome. Lots of discussion on the subject. As one who is actually pulling 18000# I can tell you there is no way I would do it with single rear tires. And, if you check your book you'll find out you can't. (Assuming the 18K GVWR you mention is for the trailer only and not a GCVW).

Yep, I was talking about the GVW of the 4100. I have looked at the numbers and with a Ford there is no way. The Ram towing guide leaves a bit to be desired as it is too flashy to be practical in my opinion. I just want the numbers the rear diff ratio and the number of axles. It was hard to tell what the SRW for the Ram actually was, as only Duallys were coming up. ****, I can't fit my F250 KR Crew in the garage, so what is a little more gonna hurt. It will be a daily driver, but I really don't drive around for work, much beyond longer trips.

I will be hitting the Cyclone boards hard, the DW was sold on the 4100, but has now added the 425 and 415 into the mix. We were so close. AHHHHHHH!

4100 owners, she is definitely worried about heating and cooling the garage. Any insight would help, this actually applies to all models, but I am very narrow minded in my choice right now.

Hope to learn a lot. Thanks for the warm welcome.

KRCyclone

Welcome to the HOC forum. We purchased our 3110 in May of this year and towed 60 miles with a 2500 Ram to get it home. I was white knuckled the whole time. 3 weeks latter I purchased a 3500 DRW and do not regret it when it comes time to tow. This is my daily driver and is a PITA when parking and in traffic. When towing and our safety comes in to play money well spent.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I would only say this "its not about pull it, its about stopping it" ! We just ordered a new Cyclone 4000 and the weight comes in about the same as the 4100. Our 5er we have now weights in at about 20,000 lbs plus. We fulltime and have always used a MDT first C5500 Kodiack and now a 4400 Internationa 2L customer hauler. I tried a couple of times towing 18,000 lbs with my single axle Dodge, never again. Also don't let folks tell you thats why you have trailer brakes. I've lost my trailer brakes on more that one occasion. Our MDT can stop the 20,000 lbs we've towing now without the trailer brakes, so the Cyclone should be a walk in the park.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

alex00

Yep, I was talking about the GVW of the 4100. I have looked at the numbers and with a Ford there is no way. The Ram towing guide leaves a bit to be desired as it is too flashy to be practical in my opinion. I just want the numbers the rear diff ratio and the number of axles. It was hard to tell what the SRW for the Ram actually was, as only Duallys were coming up. ****, I can't fit my F250 KR Crew in the garage, so what is a little more gonna hurt. It will be a daily driver, but I really don't drive around for work, much beyond longer trips.

I will be hitting the Cyclone boards hard, the DW was sold on the 4100, but has now added the 425 and 415 into the mix. We were so close. AHHHHHHH!

4100 owners, she is definitely worried about heating and cooling the garage. Any insight would help, this actually applies to all models, but I am very narrow minded in my choice right now.

As someone that is in a similar boat (I'm shopping for a new truck and a 4000 Cyclone) I can tell you that none of the Ram truck SRW configurations will be within the limits of the 4100. The payload on the 2500s and SRW 3500s is too low for the anticipated pin weight of the 18K Cyclones. Your only option is a DRW. Ram has an actual spec PDF on the website, not just the hard to configure 'towing guide'. The spec sheet lists all the 3500 configurations and capacities. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/pdf/2014_RAM.3500.Towing.Specs.pdf

My wife has been driving our current dually for almost ten years as her primary vehicle. I've had both SRW and DRW trucks, and don't notice a huge difference. A crew cab longbed is going to be difficult to park whether it has an extra few feet of fender width or not. About the only thing that been an inconvenience with the dually is not being able to fit in some carwashes. I still park the dually in the exact same parking spaces as my 4 door sedan. In other words, don't let the dually scare you away from the trailer you want.

oscar

That all depends on your theater. Alaska? Florida? Something more moderate? Power availability? If you have 50A power, and ambient temps are not at the end of the scale the salon air does a halfway decent job of keeping the garage cool, provided you leave the slider open. An extra ceramic heater in the garage helps greatly if the temps outside don't go below freezing.

That said, there are things that can be done to improve the garage. Insulating the floor from below would be a relatively easy and affordable task. (Foam, glue) A third AC can be added and, once again depending on power availability, can be wired to run in an "either or" with the front bedroom, or if there's plenty of power "in addition". (The latter would require an extra power connection and cable to the pedestal which may or may not be able to supply it) Finally, reflective and/or insulating curtains over the large windows would go a long way towards mitigating heat gain/loss.

Once again to the truck choice….. You can (almost) never have too much truck. Having not enough truck, aside from safety and legality considerations, makes for an uncomfortable and restless driving experience. My diesel dually is adequate, I would NOT want to do it with less. I would like more. As far as daily driving the one ton diesel dually, the mpg bob tail are in the high teens and I have found that walking the extra distance to the less populated part of the parking lot can be quite enjoyable.

scottyb

If I had it to do over again and I ordered my 4100 instead of purchasing it off the lot, there are three things I wish that I had. 1) 3rd AC in garage. 2) dual pane windows 3) Level-up
Of course nearly all of my travels currently take me to hot climates. I would never consider sleeping in the garage under those conditions w/o air conditioning. I pulled mine with a SRW for a while until I could replace it, but I don't recommend it.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I'm with Scotty on this. If we had it to do over again, we'd also order from Heartland instead of getting it off the lot and settling for what it had on it instead of getting it exactly the way we wanted it.

Rod Ditrich