Broke down in Saskatoon :(

CrazyScotsman

Outcome is. Turbo has gone South, DPS ( regeneration,exhaust system, burns of particulets for cleaner exhaust ) has gone South, crankcase valve has gone South, I only wish I was going South, but not today i'm afraid. My length of stay now depends on the availability of parts, so at least 1 more day, but it looks like I am not in the only area of North America that is a deep freeze according to the weather channel.
Cheers Ken

wyleyrabbit

Ken,

Sorry to hear of your outcome. I was hoping, as I'm sure you were too, that it was going to be something really simple (and cheap).

Life has handed you some lemons...make some lemonade. :rolleyes: Saskatoon is a nice city. You might as well take the day and go see some of the sights there. Perhaps a good start would be: http://www.tourismsaskatoon.com

Also, if you like sci-fi movies, go see the movie Avatar and make sure you see it in 3D. I haven't seen it yet, but our almost-10-year-old has, and the movie rocked his world.

Cheers,
Chris

nhunter

The world junior hockey championships are on right now. Canada vs US on tuesday. Should be a dandy game at the Credit union Center. Act Canadian, put on a toque, grab a beer and watch some hockey! And don't forget your lumberjack jacket

truknutt

Committed Member
The world junior hockey championships are on right now. Canada vs US on tuesday. Should be a dandy game at the Credit union Center. Act Canadian, put on a toque, grab a beer and watch some hockey! And don't forget your lumberjack jacket

Hmmm..do you know Ken? He'll show up in the lumberjack jacket and a KILT!! :eek: The sight of him at Goshen this past year is forever burned on my retinas!!

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

CrazyScotsman

Thanks for the wee laugh guys, after walking over to Volvo I need a good laugh, now they tell me that most parts aren't covered under the warranty. Just my bloody luck.
According to Volvo a Turbo isn't a major part, so was only covered for 2 years or 250,000 miles, well truck has 208,000 miles on it, but warranty went out on Nov 1 09, that was 2 years from when original owner bought the truck.
When I bought the truck the selling dealer assured me that everything was covered on it till 2011. Oh well, the salesman made his sale to another sucker. I should know by now if a salesmen lips are moving he is telling stories.
They still don't know when they can get the parts.. :( :( :(

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Heck Ken, iit is supposed to be in the low 20s in Houston by Friday. I think it is cold everywhere. Good luck.

nhunter

Me thinks a turbo is a major part. Ever try driving a diesel without one?;)

On further thought how a class 8 ($150,000)only have 2 years warranty when my lowly Ford ($60,000)has 3 years. What the heck!

Netem

Hang in there Ken. I hope they get you going soon as I know you have to get back on the road to pay the bills. I'm ready for some global warming, thinking of starting the old diesel truck and just let it run. :)

CrazyScotsman

Volvo are going to cover the Turbo, but not the regeneration DSP, that alone is $11,000. I am in contact with the dealer I bought the truck from, see what they can do, they assured me when I bought it the warranty was till 2011. That was the reason I bought this truck, because it supposedly had plenty of warranty left on it.If I knew then what I now know, I would have either bought an extended warranty or a new truck.
We live and learn.

biggziff

Volvo are going to cover the Turbo, but not the regeneration DSP, that alone is $11,000. I am in contact with the dealer I bought the truck from, see what they can do, they assured me when I bought it the warranty was till 2011. That was the reason I bought this truck, because it supposedly had plenty of warranty left on it.If I knew then what I now know, I would have either bought an extended warranty or a new truck.
We live and learn.

I know nothing about this, but how does the federal emissions warranty affect something like this? Maybe your over the mileage or maybe the fed warranty doesn't apply to commercial diesel vehicles?

CrazyScotsman

I kept calling the item DSP, it's called DPF, clean exhaust junk.
I may as well just shoot myself, cost is now up to $14,900
I don't know about you folks, but I don't have that kind of money just laying around, used to till I bought this bloody thing.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I feel your pain Ken. Good luck in getting the dealer to help you out. Stay warm.

wyleyrabbit

Ken,

OUCH!!! That stings. $15k, yikes! Although, I suppose one could consider how much you saved by purchasing the truck used instead of new.

I hate to even ask, but could you have gotten an extended warranty with this truck, and if so, how much would that have cost (and would these items be covered)?

I am generally NOT a believer in extended warranties, but we did get the extended warranties on both our Bighorn and our Chevy. I hope I never need the warranties (kind of like insurance) but I feel better knowing I've got them.

On a happier note, did you get tickets to the big hockey game today? I've already got the PVR set to record the game in case I'm not off work by then. Should be a great game.

Chris