Broke Leaf Spring

GS_33CK

We have a 2011 Greystone 33CK and were wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with a failed leaf spring. Thankfully we were off the highway when the spring broke and the tires slammed together. Nice way to end an otherwise excellent Labor Day weekend....
33CK_Spring2.jpg33CK_Spring3.jpg

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi GS_33CK,

Leaf springs do break, although judging from reports on this forum, I would say it happens infrequently. I don't think they're very expensive and shouldn't require a lot of labor to replace a spring pack. Probably be a good time to check the shackles and bushings and maybe get the bearings repacked.

GOTTOYS

I haven't had one break. If one goes the others may not be far behind. I replaced all of mine and went to heavier springs. It now sits level where one side was sagging before. Ordered mine from a company called South West Spring out of TX. Very happy with the service and prices...Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That looks exactly like the one that broke on my rig.
I installed all new 8k springs.

Peace
Dave

GS_33CK

That looks exactly like the one that broke on my rig.
I installed all new 8k springs.

Peace
Dave

I'm thinking about replacing all four springs with a beefy upgrade. Then again, I have concerns about overkill and bumps being too hard on the structure and/or contents of the coach. Any regrets with the 8k springs?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We did not have any break, but they were sagging into a non-curve within the first year. We went from 4 leaf to 5, which I believe were 3500K springs (to use with 7K axles, which we upgraded to not long after). We used EMCO springs, made in USA. You probably have 6K axles.

sjs731

I would assume if the spring stack get too stiff then the tires take more abuse leading back to tire problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking about replacing all four springs with a beefy upgrade. Then again, I have concerns about overkill and bumps being too hard on the structure and/or contents of the coach. Any regrets with the 8k springs?
I upgraded my last coach from 6k to 7k and this one from 7k to 8k and have not come across any negative issues.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

donr827

I always upgrade the springs, tires, brakes and axles when I order a new trailer from the factory. Just feel better about having the extra capacity.
Don

lwmcguir

I always upgrade the springs, tires, brakes and axles when I order a new trailer from the factory. Just feel better about having the extra capacity.
Don
Makes total sense. If you are purchasing higher end they either come that way or it is an option. The difference in 1K wont affect the ride one bit.

wdk450

I had the "Mobile Outfitters" techs recommend I upgrade to 8K springs when I had to have them replaced at the Goshen rally, due to bent leafs.

CrazyCooter

You might consider adding shocks to dampen the bump forces. I too like to run the next heavier spring above the load that is on the axles.... mine has 14K on the axles, so 4K ea spring has worked out great.

jasons09cyclone

Found this little number while I was going to install a mor/ryde X factor crossmember.. Luckily I went down there because I would have never known about it till the axel fell off on my next trip.. This was on a 2009 cyclone 3950 that has been through almost everything... now I will replace the leaf springs along with the hd shackle wet bolt kit after seeing this...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378345141.440868.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378345141.440868.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 101

danemayer

Yep. Those standard shackle links do wear out. I had one give out last Fall. Took it to a trailer place for some other work and they said people sometimes tow like that for long distances without realizing there's a problem.

jasons09cyclone

Found southwest spring in Tx..turns out there cheaper even with the 90 shipping price tag... didnt know if the 3k pound single spring is better or worse than the 3300 pound 6 leaf spring. . Any ideas ? Its a more light weight spring at only 9 pounds each. . I have 3 6k # axles from lippert..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

GOTTOYS

Found southwest spring in Tx..turns out there cheaper even with the 90 shipping price tag... didnt know if the 3k pound single spring is better or worse than the 3300 pound 6 leaf spring. . Any ideas ? Its a more light weight spring at only 9 pounds each. . I have 3 6k # axles from lippert..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
I replaced mine with the 3300# Emco springs that I purchased there. Finally, it sits level on each side where it always sagged before on the street side. If I'm not mistaken Emco springs are made here in the U.S.A. in Kansas. Mine rides great and doesn't have as much sway as it once had. If you change them bring it to a good heavy-duty alignment shop, one that can do trucks and buses and have it aligned as well. Both my axles were tracking to the left before I had it aligned and the camber was off. If you have a Correct Track it can only take of the tracking problem, nothing else. Mine tows way better than ever...Don