Broken roller in kitchen slide of 2011 Landmark GC

Very briefly, we're full time RVers who own a 2011 Landmark GC that we purchased in December of 2009. Sunday a week ago the roller bracket on one of the rollers in the kitchen slideout broke, tearing the vinyl flooring. Unable to find a dealer in the Memphis, TN area who could help us before the Thanksgiving weekend while on our way to Albuquerque, we ended up at the closest dealer who was able to help in Oklahoma City. They were unable to get us in before Monday, November 28 but once we arrived when they opened they got us in and found the problem and contacted Heartland. By fax. Because Heartland does not accept phone orders from the service departments of their dealers, they only accept faxes. And so we have been sitting in Oklahoma City for two days waiting for Heartland to fax McClain RV to let them know if they can get the parts and flooring we need to repair the broken roller and ripped up flooring in our kitchen. Two days of non-responsiveness by Heartland RV when we have been unable to put out our kitchen slide for eight days. Eight days of limited floor space, being unable to get to my electric appliances, my pots and pans, my stove and my microwave. Plus I packed up all the items in the kitchen slideout that I COULD reach, knowing that the service department would have to totally remove the slideout to make its repairs, so our space is even more limited by the boxes of "stuff" sitting around. And Heartland RV can not be bothered to respond to one of its dealers who owns six locations over two states. Wow. Now THAT'S customer service. Way to go, Heartland and Thor. And of course, this is only the latest of a long line of thing that have gone wrong with this unit since the first month after we bought it. But that's another story already documented on my website.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Are you waiting because of warranty? I only ask because you state you purchased dec. 09, did you get a 2 year warranty? I hope you get it resolved ASAP.
Waiting is never fun, especially in the circumstances you describe. I purchased from McClains and they were great to work with as a seller, but I have never dealt with their service department, I hope they do good for you.

danemayer

If you call Heartland Customer Service, you can probably get status on what the dealer is waiting to hear about.

Hi! We purchased an extended warranty after having to have $8,000 worth of work done on the rig nine months after we purchased it; we figured that was a sign of what was to come. We are simply waiting for Heartland to respond in some way to the service department about the availability of parts and flooring.

danemayer

Obviously I can't speak for Heartland, but I would hazard a guess that they don't have flooring material sitting around in bins in the parts department (many different models, flooring types, and decor changes make that unlikely). They'll probably have to locate a roll of the material used in your rig, get it out of one of their warehouses, and have a piece cut for you. If it's a large rolled-up piece, it may have to be shipped via regular trucking rather than UPS or Fedex. All together, it could take several weeks.

It must be frustrating to sit in cramped quarters waiting to hear something. You might do better to call and get an outlook for delivery. If delivery on the flooring will take weeks, maybe the repairs can be split - fix the roller now and get the flooring done when it shows up.

Also, don't overlook the possibility that Heartland hasn't yet received anything (faxed to wrong # for example).

ihsolutions

Sorry to hear of your troubles. However, given all the inconvenience you are currently going through, I am having a hard time understanding why you have not picked up the phone and called Heartland yourself? I have no doubt that if you are polite and explain your situation, they will make every effort to get you back on the road in a timely manner. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Heartland customer service (and there have been MANY). I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish through this negative post, other than maybe to vent, which is maybe understandable. Call Heartland if you haven't already. Good luck.

Bobby A

Sorry to hear of your troubles. However, given all the inconvenience you are currently going through, I am having a hard time understanding why you have not picked up the phone and called Heartland yourself? I have no doubt that if you are polite and explain your situation, they will make every effort to get you back on the road in a timely manner. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Heartland customer service (and there have been MANY). I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish through this negative post, other than maybe to vent, which is maybe understandable. Call Heartland if you haven't already. Good luck.

Ditto that !!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I called HL yesterday and requested a new Back up Camera be mailed up. Had a email from the maker of it. And have received 2 follow up emails today already. I would ALWAYS put your repairs issues in your own hands. Never just a repair shops. Call HL and find out whats up. The worst they can tell you is the parts are going to take a while.

Thank you all for your insightful comments. Matt from Heartland customer care has contacted me as a result of my post here and he was able to locate our order and parts, so the work on the GC can begin as soon as they arrive.

Bobby A

Thank you all for your insightful comments. Matt from Heartland customer care has contacted me as a result of my post here and he was able to locate our order and parts, so the work on the GC can begin as soon as they arrive.

I think a big THANK YOU is in order hear, to Heartland/ Matt in customer care, you don't get that kind of service with most manufactures. Also, I think there is a lesson to be learned hear, that we should not take for granted what the dealership is telling us is correct info, and to contact Heartland customer service FIRST before we start going off on Heartland on this forum.
Just my humble opinion (JMHO).
Peace,
Bobby A