bunk removal

Debster61

Hello all! I am new to this group and I am new to RV's. I just purchased a 2017 North Trail 24bhs. I am looking forward to traveling and will start with a short 3 night trip to Galveston with my daughter and our 8 chihuahuas. My question to the group: I want to remove the top bunk and make more room for my daughter as she wants the bunk area. Has anyone ever done this and is it very difficult to do? I have read that it could decrease the resale value but that is not an issue for us right now. We just want to personalize it to suit us. I would appreciate any info I can get. Thanks!

danemayer

Hi Debster61,

Congratulations on the new rig (North Trail?) and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We've got a great group of people here so I'm pretty sure someone will have some advice for you shortly.

RonTimmer

Hi Debster61,

I had a Wilderness that I removed the upper bunk from. On that one it was pretty simple, I just removed the plywood that was underneath the mattress (not secured just laid in on top of the frame) which exposed about 8 screws around the frame that held it to the wall. After removing those everything slid out no problem. There were a few gaps in the trim where the frame had been but i just put a few shelves in there for my daughter to put her stuff on which covered the gaps and helped make it look aesthetically pleasing. I saved all the parts and when I traded it in I put the bunk back in no sweat. I'm sorry I don't have pictures.

Take care,
Ron

Please store the bunk for when you sell it one day. We're looking at a unit that had the bunk removed and we need it! Now we'll have to rebuild it. *sad face*

Does anyone have photos of what the bunk SHOULD look like? Tips for us to re-add it?

Heather