California to Tacoma, Wa along Oregon Coast

Yianni

We are in the early stages of planning a trip next summer from Ca. to Tacoma to visit my aunt. We would like to take our time and camp along the Oregon coast.
Does anyone have recommendations along the coast and can you pull a 35 footer along the coast or do you have to cut in and out from 101?
Thanks for any help!

Two Hands

I don't recall the coast of Oregon because it has been at least 30 years since I drove it, but I can tell you a little about the Pacific Coast Highway in California. There are long stretches that are very scenic and can be safely and easily driven by a big rig and there are many beautiful campgrounds. There are also stretches that you should not even think of driving. One of those areas is just north of San Simeon and Hearst Castle. The other is immediately north of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge.

boatdoc

You will have no problems pulling along 101 in our State. There are many, many campgrounds to stay but most will require reservations in the summer.
Don't plan on setting any speed records while traveling the coast because you will not be the only one in an RV. According to many, we have one of the nicest CG right here outside Bandon at Bullards Beach State Campground. The sites are big and very private and most of the summer full. It sits on the Coquille River and the bay.

Enjoy your stay

boatdoc

Come to think of it, you might look into our Rally for next year and see if it fits into your plans. Check out the Oregon rally dates posted on this site somewhere by Christy alias "ziggy".
We all had ball last year and LOT'S of folks showed up and we're expecting more next year.

Hope to see you.

Mariposa

CA to OR

I would use 101. in Calif. can stop along the way and make day trips to highway 1 and coast towns. Stay along the coast in OR. It is nice. Can take longer than normal. A lot of stopping to see things. took us almost 2 weeks to make the same trip
Bob

B. Lee

Firecapt422
We did the trip last year durning 4th of July holiday. Heading north you are on the wrong side of the highway and miss some great views and most of the pull-offs are on the west sinde of the highway. We plan to do another trip but will travel south bound on along the coast home. Great views and nice people along the way. We took 10 days to get to Washington.

wdk450

Our experience

We towed our BH from Sacramento to Winchester Bay (Reedsport, Or.) for the Oregon HL rally last June. After getting over to 101 from I-5 via Hwy 20/Clearlake we stayed at Willits, Ca. KOA (O.K.), Humbolt County Fairgrounds in Ferndale (cheap camping, scenic town), Ireland's RV park in Gold Beach, Or. (on the beach, in town , good park), and Winchester Bay RV park (pretty much 1st class, on a peninnsula at the mouth of the Umpquah river).

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
You are definitely welcome to come to our rally if you are in the area!
Kristy

Come to think of it, you might look into our Rally for next year and see if it fits into your plans. Check out the Oregon rally dates posted on this site somewhere by Christy alias "ziggy".
We all had ball last year and LOT'S of folks showed up and we're expecting more next year.

Hope to see you.

Yianni

Thanks everyone for the help. I think we'll stay at Beverly Beach, Or and Fort Stevens, Or and then on to Tacoma. Fortunately the Tillamook cheese factory is right in between the two so with my love of cheese we'll have to stop and take the tour, and sample.
It looks like the Oregon rally will be earlier than our trip but thank you for the welcome.

wdk450

Try Blue Heron Cheese

I know that Tillamook Cheese is a big, impressive place, with stuff you see in your local grocery, but if you want more varieties of cheese to sample, with LOADS of other fruit butters, dips, and other goodies to sample in a small intimate farm-like setting, give Blue Heron Cheese a try. They are just 1/4 mile south of Tillamook Cheese, have a large enough parking area for RV's, and even a barnyard feeding area (watch out for the hungry goats!).

When I first visited Tillamook cheese years ago, there were table vats with people making cheese. Now there are just huge machines plopping out big bricks of cheese. Blue Heron doesn't do any cheesemaking for the public, either, but we liked the experience better.

santafedave

Santafedave
KOA at Coos Bay

Just got back from a week stay at the KOA in Hauser Oregon. This place rocks! They have what they call "Big Boy" pull thru's that are very convenient and have 50 amp plug in's. If you hook-up cable they play a movie for free every night on channel 10 and they have Ice cream socials every saturday night. Really liked this place. D.