Campgrounds between Vicksburg and Colorado Springs

guyc66

We are driving to Middle TN next month to pick up our Landmark Grand Canyon (from storage) and was hoping to take a Southern route back and swing down to Vicksburg, MS for a few days to tour the Civil War Battlefield park. Hopefully all the recent rains haven't flooded everything out so we can make this happen. After looking at the map I think we would probably be stopping in/around Dallas, TX and Amarillo, TX on the way back to Colorado Springs. If anyone has any campground suggestions (or places to avoid) for the Dallas or Amarillo areas I would appreciate any input you have to offer. Thanks!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Guy and Judy, when we go to the Dallas area (where there are no RV parks), we stay in Terrell at the Bluebonnet Ridge RV Park. When traveling through Amarillo, we stay at the Oasis RV Resort. It is right off the highway and convenient.

Hope this helps.

guyc66

Guy and Judy, when we go to the Dallas area (where there are no RV parks), we stay in Terrell at the Bluebonnet Ridge RV Park. When traveling through Amarillo, we stay at the Oasis RV Resort. It is right off the highway and convenient.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your suggestions.....I will definitely check those places out.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We live in Co. Springs and have driven through Amarillo a couple of times. We stayed at Ft. Amarillo and it is a very nice campground located close to shopping and on the west side of Amarillo. It was and 8 hr drive there for us. Dalhart also has the Corral RV Park that has good ratings. Jim B may jump in as he was planning on stopping in that area on his way to the West Tx. Rally last week.

coram8

Normally I would tell you to go to,the Vineyards Campground in Grapevine, TX. It is very nice, great sites and a fantastic location in North Dallas area. Unfortunately, last time I was in the area a couple of weeks ago, most of it was still under water! Wish, I could help you more.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Hope this helps.

I second these. We lived in Terrell, and now go back to visit family. Bluebonnet Ridge RV Park is the best park coming from the East, because it's before you get to the traffic of the metroplex. A good place to stop for the night.

When we go visit family in Amarillo, we like the Oasis. Close to interstate, long, wide sites, easy in-out, nice folks running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MandA

on trips to Colorado we overnight in Dumas, Tx. City campground, paved lot, 50amp, water, dump. Free with a donation box. If you just need to stop for the night it is great, I think they have a three day limit so resting for a day or two is ok. Dumas is about 50 mi. north of Amarillo.

StarryNight

on trips to Colorado we overnight in Dumas, Tx. City campground, paved lot, 50amp, water, dump. Free with a donation box. If you just need to stop for the night it is great, I think they have a three day limit so resting for a day or two is ok. Dumas is about 50 mi. north of Amarillo.

We were thinking about stopping in Dumas at the city CG last year (2015) but most of the parking area was flooded (due to recent rains) and some of the pedestals were knocked over...it really didn't look very inviting:(
We have stayed several times at Fort Amarillo. There really isn't much highway noise at all...considering it's proximity to I-40. The owners keep it nice, clean; the sites are gravel but level, long enough for TV. They have built a new entrance cover that is tall enough for the BH (and any RV)...several years ago it was only about 11 ft and we had to go around it. I enjoy checking out the little shop they have...a lot of fun things to look at:)

Monica

guyc66

Thanks for the suggestion.....I will check that out too.

brianlajoie

We've stayed at Twin Pine RV Park in Slaton - nice RV park. Friendship Park, Hords Creek Lake (south of Abilene) - Loved it, great park. Raton KOA - good for overnight camping. Amarillo Ranch RV Park (close to the Big Texan Steak House) - nice RV park.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The Raton, NM KOA is a nice place to overnight . . . but the Las Vegas, NM KOA is much nicer if you want to stay a couple of days or at least to walk around and enjoy the park.

And if you want to stray at a nice quiet campground that is way off of the road, the Monticello RV Park just north of Elephant Butte, NM is great!

Just make sure you have a good water filter . . . or fill up your fresh tank before you arrive.

Water pressure is awesome, but the water is a little gritty and has a 'taste' to it.

It is five miles off of I-25 and down a dirt road, but is a great place that we plan on going back to again!

MandA

The Raton, NM KOA is a nice place to overnight . . . but the Las Vegas, NM KOA is much nicer if you want to stay a couple of days or at least to walk around and enjoy the park.

And if you want to stray at a nice quiet campground that is way off of the road, the Monticello RV Park just north of Elephant Butte, NM is great!

Just make sure you have a good water filter . . . or fill up your fresh tank before you arrive.

Water pressure is awesome, but the water is a little gritty and has a 'taste' to it.

It is five miles off of I-25 and down a dirt road, but is a great place that we plan on going back to again!

If in Raton, nm 7 miles south on the road to Cimmeron in the NRA Whittington Center they have over 100 full service sites. Strong cell signal great water, stout elec. Lots of wildlife, the reminents of the coal days of the early last century. Th VanHouten coal mine is on the property with all the remains of the town that supported it. This is also a world class shooting range. The main office has a museum of history and firearms. All are welcome and someone on the gate 24/7.

StarryNight

If in Raton, nm 7 miles south on the road to Cimmeron in the NRA Whittington Center they have over 100 full service sites. Strong cell signal great water, stout elec. Lots of wildlife, the reminents of the coal days of the early last century. Th VanHouten coal mine is on the property with all the remains of the town that supported it. This is also a world class shooting range. The main office has a museum of history and firearms. All are welcome and someone on the gate 24/7.

MandA,
Thank you for this bit of info:)
We have been driving this route for many, many years and just "assumed" it was a shooting range only! We will certainly check it out the next time we head south!
The Raton KOA is perfect for a one night stay but still...:eek:
We stayed at the Maxwell Wildlife Refuge, which is about 25 miles south of Raton off I-25, last year. It is dry camping, near a pond, off the beaten path...but much better than the Raton KOA. Plus, there was some wildlife watching, which we love doing...it's a stop-over for the whooping cranes and sandhill cranes, among other migratory birds.
addendum: Just checked out the NRA Wellington Center website...sounds perfect!

mlpeloquin

We've stayed at Twin Pine RV Park in Slaton - nice RV park. Friendship Park, Hords Creek Lake (south of Abilene) - Loved it, great park. Raton KOA - good for overnight camping. Amarillo Ranch RV Park (close to the Big Texan Steak House) - nice RV park.

Been there. The Big Texan Stake House is a fantastic place to eat. If I travel anywhere near Amarillo, twice now, I am tell the wife I need a days rest from driving. The Amarillo Ranch RV Park is great too.