Camping in the Rain!

Manzan

Leaving Monday morning for a week on the Oregon Coast. Will be camping in the rain at Cape Lookout State Park near Tillamook, Oregon. A bit less than a tank of gas from here and have been going there for many years. Tent, Pop Up and now our third hard side. Been there in every season and sometimes it seem February is warmer than summer. Of course the ocean is cold every time of year but that does not mean we won't get our feet wet. Our first stop every trip is at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Love their ice cream cones! They protect their merchants so don't expect good prices on their cheese and if you like peperoni sticks, a few miles north on 101 is the Tillamook County smoker and prices are half. This is our first stop headed home so we have a bit to munch on before hitting Dodgers, just south of Astoria. Great seafood in this place. Will be back home on the 8th.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Travel safe and have a good trip. Many years ago we stayed at a beach north of Tillamook called Rockaway beach (if I remember the name correctly). Beautiful beach witha funny looking rock formation off shore. Guess that is how it got it's name.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Beautiful beach witha funny looking rock formation off shore. Guess that is how it got it's name.
Rockaway is north of Tillamook as is Cannon Beach with the big Haystack rock formation...both fun places! Just a quick note Bruce, WA HOC members Tom and Jan are host camping at Oceanview in Charleston, OR near North Bend...quite a bit south but one of the few parks right on the ocean.

Wish we could make it but some of us are still in the work mode :) Have a fun time and stay dry!

jdfishing

Being from Seattle, you are probably no stranger to rain. We love the Tillamook area, but somehow I missed the County Smoker. Got it on my list for next time. We stayed at Nehalem Bay St. Park. Any idea how it compares to Cape Lookout? Thanks for the info.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Welcome to our wonderful soggy state! Tillamook seems to flood quite a bit, so be careful out there where going through the grasslands.

Kristy

Manzan

jdfishing, there are 38 full hookup sites at Cape Lookout. Reservations usually not needed during the winter but weekends the rest of the year are a must. Too close to Portland and other cities along I 5. We avoid it now during the summer and since we are retired can camp Monday through Friday can usually get in making reservations two or three weeks ahead but not guaranteed. When we first started going there no reservations needed then only during the summer and now year around. Normally quiet. Good camping for families also. Since it is on the coast, it can rain any time of year although summers and fall are usually dry. If hot in the interior, the coast can be very foggy. Sites are sort of close together but separated by bushes/trees. Better spacing than Nehalem Bay if I remember right.
Bruce & Carol

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We're are flying to our son's in Vancouver for 2 weeks beginning December 19th and plan on taking a 'family' drive to the Tillamook Cheese Factory! Now we've added the Tillamook Country Smoker to the agenda! Thank you!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
OMG! I love to go to the cheese factory......my pants shrink everytime I go there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomharg

Just a quick note Bruce, WA HOC members Tom and Jan are host camping at Oceanview in Charleston, OR near North Bend...quite a bit south but one of the few parks right on the ocean.

Sigh, I wish we were. That job fell through when Oceanview was supposed to be in the process of being sold. THAT fell through, but we had already changed our plans and chose to stay in Spokane this Winter (ugh!). We are storing the 5er in Troutdale, though, and intend doing a week or two on the Oregon coast sometime soon. Why Troutdale? They don't get 4 feet of snow and rarely have icy roads, both of which we have here; that somewhat inhibits spontaneous tripping. Besides, we are paying around $70/month for outside storage and that is much cheaper than what we can store the rig for here.
Going stir crazy in Spokane,
Tom

Manzan

Powder not staying very dry--4½" rain on Tuesday. Mostly sunny with showers Wednesday, rain and showers with a few sun breaks yesterday and heavy showers with a few patches of blue here and there. Predicted nice for our trip home tomorrow. Went to Lincoln City and the Tanger Outlet Mall in the rain Tuesday and contributed a little to the economy. Been doing the same thing at the Tillamook Cheese Factory--they have some very interesting flavors of icecream and have to have a different one each time.

Manzan

I have a restaurant to recommend. Schooner on Netarts Bay west of Tillamook. Ate there for the second time Friday night and the food was unbeatable. Very well prepared and presented. Entrees run $22-$24. A bit more than we like to spend but well worth it. Both of us cook and hate to spend too much for something we can cook better and for less at home. Their menu is at theschooner.net We will go back the next time we are at Cape Lookout State Park which will likely be early spring/late winter.