Campsite Security

Thanks to all who replied. We are on our way to California for Christmas and will leave our fifth wheel unattended for a couple days at a campsite. I will feel more comfortable if it is locked up with a pin lock. Thanks again, Buzz.

wdk450

When I store my rig now, I use a kingpin lock, and disconnect the battery negative cable. This keeps any parasitic electrical loads (like the propane detector) from discharging the battery, as well as disabling the landing gear legs.

ksmith555

I never thought of trailer theft until it happened to a friend a month ago. She stored her toy hauler in a lot in FL (she lives in a townhouse so no place to park it) and went to pick it up only to find it gone. The detective told her that it happens way more than people think. He said the thieves remove the VIN plate and replace it with another one from a junk trailer and sell them quickly through craigs list, or just haul it to a permanent resident style campground where it sits and is never tagged. I was shocked...luckily it was a new model and her insurance covered her loss as well as content, but I can imagine on an older model the payoff would never be able to cover the replacement cost. He suggested that you mark the VIN number inside the trailer, like on the inside of a few cabinet doors....and of course anti-theft devices.