Can I just get a %^$% price already!!!!!!!!!

creeper

Just dropped off my camper to get the rear electric jacks repaired.

While I was there I asked if I could get a price for the lower right rear sheet metal. I dented it when I backed into my neighbors garbage can.

I was directed by Heartland to contact the local dealer to get the part. I tried 3 time with the Boat N RV bozos and couldn't get the price.

Now I asked a new dealer. They say just let the insurance company pay for it. Well I don't want my rates to go up for 1 piece of sheet aluminum and 3 feet of trim...

WELL..................... We can give you an estimate, it will cost you 2 hours estimate fee or $250.......

Sorry I just want a price on the sheet aluminum and 3 feet of trim.... One helper comes outside to look at it and give me an opinion on it....:rolleyes:

They say, you need 25 feet of trim as it goes up and around the whole rear cap, the aluminum needs to be spliced, it needs to be painted, needs a slide inspection as the slide was hit.....

You should have seen the look on my face.... I look at them and say, sorry no contact with slide, no splice sheet metal comes off with a dozen screws, no splicing... I asked what they do with trim that is shorter then 25 feet like this camper here next to me with the same trim and this piece is about 6 feet. ...

Oh, you can't splice they say it will leak big time...

I say, well its' below the floor and under the frame, if it leaks I don't care, it's only fiberglass. Plus, I'll weld it...

After they saw I'm not buying the expensive insurance job... They say I'll ask one of the guys to see if they can splice it.

Ah vey!! I want the piece pre-bent from Heartland. If you can't sell it to me then I'll just get a piece and bend it myself.

OH, you'll have to paint it then they say....

It's white aluminum. If you can't get it for me I'll buy a piece of white aluminum from Home Depot and bent it myself.

Now onto the question, can/will Heartland sell me the piece that the dealers don't want to?

2nd, what is the trim called? They said it , but I forgot. I'll just get it offf the internet somewhere...

Dealers are just plain crazy....

So far I can get a 4x4 white sheet aluminum for $45 on the net and the trim is looking at approx. $20 for a 8 foot piece. I just need the type from Heartland.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
:eek: Creeper, don't have a coronary. If the piece of metal you are refering to is the skirting on the lower side of the slides and coach it is available from Heartland. I damaged the piece on a slide and replaced it. Take out the rubber strip in the aluminum trip piece. The trim is held on with screws. If your damage is on a slide there are two plastic corner pieces as well. The skirting comes in ten foot lengths. You cut to size. If you have graphics on the skirting you can purchase that as well. I picked mine up at the factory when I went through Indiana. As I recall the price for the graphic and the skirting was around $60. It didn't take long to replace, and it looks like new again. You will also need a tube of caulk for the top of the trim strip. I used OSI Pro Series Quad. Hope this helps you.
Peace
Dave

SmokeyBare

Creeper,

Going to the Heartland National Rally in Goshen? Perhaps waiting till then... and buying the material direct from Heartland... Shipping is often the more costly than the actual sheet metal. I'm not sure of the name of the trim... I am guessing it's the trim where the lower sheet of metal attaches.... so that should be very easy to get as well.

If not... I'd be contacting other Heartland Dealers... to see if they have a order coming in from Heartland... so they could have the material delivered along with their next RV delivery.

That's what Butch at " RV 4 Less " in Knoxville did for me... He was great to deal with...

Good Luck !

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just take a picture of it and send it to the factory.. To hello with the dealer..
574-262-8030 Jim Fenner (service@heartlandrvs.com)
Maybe this can help.

BC

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yep just like Marv said, maybe the factory can ship the piece with the next rv delivery. I carried the 10 foot piece home in the Bighorn with no problems, so I know it can be done safely.
Peace
Dave

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
It sure would help if you put up a picture of what you are talking about. I'd like to see it.

thanks

sealman

Creeper,
We have already been through the same situation that you are going through....The material is called "J-Wrap". It comes in the proper color with a protective plastic film on the painted side. It will be cheaper to buy than ship. If you have any other questions, you can contact me directly.
John

creeper

I posted the pic before. I don't know how to bring it into this thread so here is the old post.

//heartlandowners.org/showpost.php?p=36313&postcount=6

I also need the metal trim piece that goes all the way round the end cap and is covered by a rubber material. It covers the transition from side wall to end cap.

I've already had this thing apart, VERY EASY and it steams me that something so simple should be so difficult to get.

Cookie you nailed the piece I need. It's the lower skirting where the side marker goes through.

sealman

Creeper,
Contact Camping World in Houston...They should have enough left over from my bighorn....Get hold of Joe French.
John

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Believe it or not August of 07 we sat in Elkhart for 4 weeks waiting for a piece of "J-wrap" to get to the Repair shop in Elkhart from the factory in Elkhart. The factory kept saying it was on backorder. Hopefully it is plentiful now.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
"Backorder" is a small village in the Australian Outback. If you hear something is on backorder, you probably have time to go on a round the world cruise before it comes in.None