Care to share your average towing speed?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Re: Required reading

I don't understand this law at all. Knowing CA is so emissions concerned, it is probably a smog/CARB issue, but on all of towing done with the 450, Our worst fuel mileage occurred in CA driving at 55. the 450 makes much better fuel economy right around 65, so that is what we try to drive.

Alan, you are confusing Common Sense and Govt. The two have nothing to do with each other. :D

ihsolutions

Right around 63-64 with our rig. Downhill runs I will let it coast up to 70 for a short bit but never more than that. I would prefer to go closer to 60mph, but my truck doesn't like that speed, and downshifts often. Ideal speed for my truck is 66-67 but that's a bit fast for me except under ideal conditions, which I have not yet experienced.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
when leaving on a trip we travel 57 mph on the way way home about 3-4hundred miles out the speed seems to pick up, sort of like a cow heading for the barn.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I like to drive the minimum speed posted ,generally 45 M.P.H. The DW and I find it also more pleasing to straddle the center line , driving the center of the road seems so much smoother. It also gives us the enjoyment of seeing so many friendly people . It seems like everyone passing us on each side of the shoulder loves our BigHorn. Everyone that passes us is jumping up and down in there seat , waving at us and yelling words of encouragement. The truckers are even more enjoyable with there air horns tooting and lights flashing ,what a sight. I just wish I could hear what they were saying so I could answer back, so I just give everyone the thumbs up, smile and carry on. I also get a lot better mileage at 45 than I did at 60-65 , just remember thumbs up and keep smilling;)......Kenny

PSF513

On the open road, we are usually between 60 - 65. Downhill we may hit 70. I usually get between 10 - 11 mpg at these speeds.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I hope you all know he is pulling your legs!!! He is not happy unless he is doing 65mp.

SilverRhino

Open road 60-62 mph. In town I usually drive at least 5-7 mph below the posted limit.....helps eliminate the excitement of dips and pot holes!

When we hooked up to the BC....its for fun and enjoyment....speed is not really part of our travel equation.

Northern Virginia
You guys are making me feel like I have a lead foot. I keep it between 65 and 70, traffic and weather permitting. I have been getting 11 mpg with our Landmark moderatly loaded. I definitely get better mileage using cruise control.

John

azbound

Forn the most part I try to drive at 1500 RPM's that is about 56 to 57 MPH, this provides me with my best milage and is comfortable enough to see the site along the road.

ct0218

We travel at 60-65 on limited access roads, depending on traffic and conditions, then a bit below the speed limit otherwise. I do make sure I don't back up traffic behind me, but these don't stop on a dime so I try to give myself a little extra margin.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

I don't understand this law at all. Knowing CA is so emissions concerned, it is probably a smog/CARB issue, but on all of towing done with the 450, Our worst fuel mileage occurred in CA driving at 55. the 450 makes much better fuel economy right around 65, so that is what we try to drive.

Must be Ford thing...our mileage increased by at least 2 mpg when I got DH to slow down to 55...;) The Duramax in our C4500 loves a nice leisurely drive....:cool:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

We usually travel at 62-63 mph unless the speed limit makes us drive slower. We were limited to 55 in Illinois a couple of years ago, and it seemed like it took FOREVER to get across the state. They have since raised the speed limit, so all is well now.

crazybanshee

WOW I should not even post but I run 70-75 on the interstate highway. I feel unsafe being a slow moving rig on a busy road.
Doug