Electrical Power usage

ronbro

Just got my power bill for the first year/summer of camping with my new to me 2011 3610RE Bighorn 5th wheel.
Shock was underestimating my dismay. $600can We pay a flat rate of $0.20 per kilowatt HR at our campsite so I used 3000kwh's this summer!!! An Average of 20kwh/day i used the trailer!!
Over the last 14yrs at the same site I have averaged only $300/yr for the power in my 27ft Keystone 5th so trying to figure out the major increase. Not a warm summer in Alberta with only 4 days all summer over 27c and a max of 32c one day so very little use of Air-Conditioner - maybe 10hrs. Fridge and hot water tank ran on electric and got a lot more golf in this year - 130+ rounds so more charging of electric golf cart but still does not justify this increase in use. Have purchased an Efergy Elite 4.0 Wireless Electrical Monitor and will set it up for next summer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just got my power bill for the first year/summer of camping with my new to me 2011 3610RE Bighorn 5th wheel.
Shock was underestimating my dismay. $600can We pay a flat rate of $0.20 per kilowatt HR at our campsite so I used 3000kwh's this summer!!! An Average of 20kwh/day i used the trailer!!
Over the last 14yrs at the same site I have averaged only $300/yr for the power in my 27ft Keystone 5th so trying to figure out the major increase. Not a warm summer in Alberta with only 4 days all summer over 27c and a max of 32c one day so very little use of Air-Conditioner - maybe 10hrs. Fridge and hot water tank ran on electric and got a lot more golf in this year - 130+ rounds so more charging of electric golf cart but still does not justify this increase in use. Have purchased an Efergy Elite 4.0 Wireless Electrical Monitor and will set it up for next summer.

Are your lights still the old incandescent or have you switched them over to LED's? Big power savings there. What does it take to charge up that golf cart? Use the microwave a lot or an electric space heater/fireplace in the rig?

ronbro

Golf Cart uses about 3.6kwh to charge and I get 2 rounds per charge so estimated 300 to 350kwh. up from last year maybe 100kwh but total increase was 1200kwh.
Lights are led and yes has electric fireplace and I did use an electric space heater sparingly in the bedroom. I will be checking the wattage on those and try to work backwords. I also have 3 - 48in by 24in solar panels on the roof but does not look like they helped anything. I believe they are tied directly to the batery via a converter. I am more worried about this inverter/charger system and how much power it would continually draw. Since I was plugged into power all summer it should not have drawn much.
thanks
ron

I can feel your pain. Our LM San Antonio sits all summer connected to a utility that provides online access to our daily kwh usage. We have the large RV type refrigerator and operate it and the water heater on electric. When the trailer is non occupied with refrigerator and converter operating, we use about 10 kwh daily. When occupied with lights and water heater operating we use about 17 - 18 kwh daily. We only use the main A/C occasionally and that will jump our usage to 25-30 kwh daily. We only occupy our RV about 12-15 days a month and our rate is about the same as yours. We pay $75 - $80 per month for power.

My former trailer had a residential refrigerator and no converter. The utility didn’t have the tracking system then but my power bill was about $35 per month. Hope that gives you a basis for comparison.

Doug

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Golf Cart uses about 3.6kwh to charge and I get 2 rounds per charge so estimated 300 to 350kwh. up from last year maybe 100kwh but total increase was 1200kwh.
Lights are led and yes has electric fireplace and I did use an electric space heater sparingly in the bedroom. I will be checking the wattage on those and try to work backwords. I also have 3 - 48in by 24in solar panels on the roof but does not look like they helped anything. I believe they are tied directly to the batery via a converter. I am more worried about this inverter/charger system and how much power it would continually draw. Since I was plugged into power all summer it should not have drawn much.
thanks
ron

In general, space heaters and the fireplace use 1500 watts (~12.5A) on high setting. If you're using the electric mode for your water heater, that will pull about the same when it's heating the water/maintaining temperature. The converter will draw 1000 watts (Model 9260). The converter is what actually powers your 12V systems and also charges the battery. It can operate the 12V systems without a battery. Is your battery functioning properly?

If you had a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C surge suppressor, you could actually read the current loads (it has a display) on both legs of your input voltage, as they occur and change.

danemayer

1375 KWH for the month of August in our 2011 Landmark. 1 A/C unit running during the day from about 9AM to 9PM. CheapHeat running from 9PM to 9AM. Water heater & Refrigerator on electric. Also charging a golf cart.

Last year in August was 968 KWH for the same usage without the golf cart.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ours was 1333kwh in August, our average temp was probably 95*F to 75*F. We run our two ACs and multiple fans a lot! Plus fridge and water heater on electric. I think the lowest usage has been about 700kwh in the winter.

When we had some meter issues one month, our park owner said they charge $5 a day for electricity when that happens. Our normal rate is $0.13 per kWh. So they are assuming an average user is a little over 38kWh per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dave10a

that is a lot of power. Is the camp ground power meter accurate? or has it developed a calibration problem. What are the results of your neighbors?