Electrical 120v Safety Please

Mattman

Hello Guys and Gals,

There is lots of good talk on here about towing safety. But I just want to touch on a few things about electrical safety, and practice. I have been an Electrician for the last 16 years. Not going to say I know it all, or seen every thing, and campers are slightly different than buildings. But not much. So as I have read through some of these electrical forums I just want to bring up a few things.

1. Please do not work on Hot circuits. Just because its a 120v or 240 does not mean its not dangerous. There are more deaths on 120 than higher voltages every year.
DO you know about arc flash? There is a huge potential if you take the cover off you 240V panel and it is energized. If your at a campground plugged into a circuit breaker it may not be operating correctly to clear a fault quickly. These breakers are turned ON and Off lots. Breakers are not designed to switch loads on a regular bases creating wear and tear. They only get replaced when they don't operate. You can not guarantee they will trip with in there original manufactured set requirements. A phase to phase arc flash on 240V can still go a few cycles and produce huge amounts of heat expelling melted metal from your panel or tool that cause the flash.
2. Use a good meter. Not the $10 special from the hardware store. Look at the rating on the back. Preferably with some kind of internal fuse protection.
3. Aluminum conductors. Some campers may have Aluminum conductors from the feed plug to the breaker panel. Aluminum is soft and expands and contracts more than copper. Never over tighten Aluminum. If its to tight, when the conductor heats up it expands. If it expands it will break strands. If it breaks strands it increases the resistance with increases the amperage. If this is your Neutral conductor on a 240 panel. It can burn it up while not tripping the breaker.
Aluminum does not like other types of metal. Don't place Copper and aluminum together under a connection point. If you have to use an anti corrosion compound. In the trade we use a compound called Noalox by Ideal or similar.
4. Properly sized breakers. #14 wire is 15 amp max. #12 is 20amp. #10 30amps. (In general use) Note voltage drop may come into play if you are running say over 100'. Not an issue in the camper it self, but your power supply cord.
5. Tight is tight.. To tight is over tight. Most breakers and panels have an actual torque value some where that is called out by the manufacture. If every summer you tighten the wires in your panel, and they never actual came loose, your just driving the screws in more and cutting the wire. if you do this lightly check to see if they are tight. IF something keeps coming loose there may be a reason. If its a breaker replace the breaker. Don't risk it.
6. GFCI breakers. If you actual look at them they usual say to test them monthly. I know we all do that. But if you have one not working replace it after you shut the power off. Make sure these screws are snug as well. Grounded as well.
7. A good visual inspection goes a long way. Burn marks on equipment are bad. Brittle insulation or Hard outer jacket is a sign of excessive heat. This wire needs to be replaced and why it was doing it should be corrected as well.
8. If you think you have a bad cord, un plug it and check continuity threw the prongs. Wiggle it around a lot at the male and female ends. These are common points of failure on cords.
9. Never trust anyone who says they turned the power off. Check it with tester first. They will be sorry, and you might be dead.
10. Multiple power sources. Make sure all energy sources are off so that if your in the middle of something there is no chance of the power automatically coming back.
11. Ratings and UL listing. Every thing has a rating for voltage and amperage that it has been tested to for your safety. Either for shock or fire prevention. Alternating or exceeding these ratings may result in fire, injury, or death.

If any one else has anything else to add. Please do. I don't claim to know it all. But wanted to offer some things I have seen through my years in the electrical world to make sure your safe when it comes to this stuff. You spend lots of Time and Money into getting your camper places. Don't cut corners on the other things.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Matman, very good and appropriate advice. I hope folks will read your thread and heed your advice. Thank you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To add to this, if you're replacing fixtures in your older home (or RV) and have aluminum wiring, make sure you purchase fixtures that are MARKED for use with aluminum. It will be stamped CO/ALR. Antioxidant should also be used on the bare wires to prevent the non-conductive oxidation from developing. Many of the electrical fires we respond to are the result of old aluminum wiring being updated with cheap (incorrect) fixtures from the bargain bin at the hardware store. And there have been a couple where Al and Cu wires were just wire nutted together by a DIY homeowner. It works for a while...

Bogie

Mattman....Great advice! I would just add one thing. Don't forget the 12 volt side of things. Though 12 volts can't hurt you personally, an undersized wire or a 12 volt short could easily start a fire.