Carefree Travel’r Awning Arms

Well I went back home for a week and came back to find my buddy had left awning extended and the wind got it...He purchased a new set of arms and we are going to try and replace them ourselves. We are both fairly mechanically sound when it comes to fixing small things. But for the life of me I can’t find anywhere a step by step process of replacing these arms. I found an install of a complete awning but nothing about disconnecting the awning and wiring.. Anyone out there know of a site or video with some insight?

I also have to replace my Carefree awning on our Edge.
It seems the original installation did not attach to the wall studs. don't see or feel any metal in the original holes.

1. How can I get a secure attachment of the uprights on the wall without going into a wall stud? Should I use some sort of expansion plug?
2. How can I find the location of the wall studs? It's a fiberglass wall over aluminum studs so magnets don't work.

Someone told me that I may be able to get the original design diagrams from Heartland showing the wall structure.

Thanks for any help.

jbeletti

I also have to replace my Carefree awning on our Edge.
It seems the original installation did not attach to the wall studs. don't see or feel any metal in the original holes.

1. How can I get a secure attachment of the uprights on the wall without going into a wall stud? Should I use some sort of expansion plug?
2. How can I find the location of the wall studs? It's a fiberglass wall over aluminum studs so magnets don't work.

Someone told me that I may be able to get the original design diagrams from Heartland showing the wall structure.

Thanks for any help.

I think your best bet here is to give Heartland Customer Service a call in the morning at 877-262-8032. Give them your VIN and ask them your questions. Circle back here to let this group know what you found.

I think your best bet here is to give Heartland Customer Service a call in the morning at 877-262-8032. Give them your VIN and ask them your questions. Circle back here to let this group know what you found.

I reached a very helpful chap at Heartland Customer Service named Alan.
He found our trailer registration and then messaged the engineer in charge of that trailer line with my inquiry.
I just received a reply.

Apparently this model (Edge) does not have any wall studs. It is what they call a 'perimeter framed laminated wall' which I think means that the wall is made from a strong foam core with the fiberglass exterior and wood interior glued on.
The only framing is aluminum studs or beams around the outer edges of the wall, like a frame.

Now I need to decide on an appropriate method to re-install the awning uprights to the wall.
I will first fill the old holes with a sealant and ensure the wall is flat and clean.
I intend to glue the uprights in place using an adhesive or 2-sided tape and then use new fasteners in new locations on the uprights.

Any suggestions on an appropriate adhesive or tape and on what the best fastener would be?