Cargo capacity on the BC 3900FLP?

TxCowboy

Have an appointment to look at the BC 3900FLP next weekend (new delivery to my local HL dealer).

Looking at the online literature for this model shows the GVWR at 15,500 pounds and the dry weight at 14,355 pounds. I've also seen this model listed online at some dealer websites where they have a picture of the yellow door tag that shows that particular unit's dry weight and most are pretty close to the 14,355 dry weight on the dealer websites.

Based upon this information and assuming the following: a full fresh water tank (75 gallons x 8.3 pounds per gallon equals 622.5 pounds or rounded to 623 pounds), an empty grey water tank, and the black water at approximately 20 percent full (45 gallons X 20 percent = 9 gallons. (9 gallons x 8.3 pounds per gallon = 149.4 pounds of black water rounded to 150 pounds).

This results in 773 "water weight" pounds.

GVWR of 15,500 pounds minus 14,355 pounds dry weight minus 773 pounds of "water weight" equals 372 pounds available for cargo.

This unit can only carry 372 pounds of cargo?

What am I missing here?

Last edited:

pegmikef

I think the numbers are screwy. I looked at the specs on a couple of smaller models and on those either the gvwr was greater or the dry weight was lower. You might call Heartland.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The yellow sticker on the door will tell you what the unit weighed when it left the plant. Each unit will weigh different depending on what equipment was installed. You will have what ever the empty weight and the GVW to load stuff. Some people pull with the fresh tank full, most dont, most people do not travel with the black and grey tanks full.

TxCowboy

The yellow sticker on the door will tell you what the unit weighed when it left the plant. Each unit will weigh different depending on what equipment was installed. You will have what ever the empty weight and the GVW to load stuff. Some people pull with the fresh tank full, most dont, most people do not travel with the black and grey tanks full.

I discussed the yellow tag data in the OP. The same tag gives the fresh water tank weight when full -- that figure is also in the OP. And most folks do travel with some water in the black tank so the toilet can be used on the road, if needed.

TxCowboy

I think the numbers are screwy. I looked at the specs on a couple of smaller models and on those either the gvwr was greater or the dry weight was lower. You might call Heartland.

Yeah, there is something amiss. Even with the tanks totally empty, this RV series should have much more than a 1000 pound cargo weight. There are even three nice basements for outdoor storage.

My current Greystone 32RL has over 2000 pounds of cargo capacity and it's 8 feet shorter than this BC 3900.

I'll call my local dealership tomorrow and ask them before calling HL and will post the results of that conversation here.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I notice that too in my research. Seems like they didn't account for the weight of the added patio, and the unit has too low a GVWR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Somethings not right, or the factory erred. My TH has the same GVWR 15,500 and a shipping weight of 12,800. Of course it's just a baby beached whale but ready to go with no toys it scales at 14,100.

TxCowboy

I'm going to re-post this situation in the BC - Prospective Owner forum. Clearly, I'm not the only person who has this question and/or has encountered this situation before.

EDIT: Was going to post in the BC - Ask the Factory forum but VIN is required and I don't own that unit as yet.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Posting in ATF might or might not get you a quick response. Call HL, ask for the brand manager and ask him/her.

truckmen

Hello TxCowboy and readers,

We just took delivery last Tuesday (May 26, 2015) on a 3900 FLP and are also noticing the weights. Our yellow tag says: 14,378.
By the way, I have discovered some sad workmanship throughout this 5er and am cataloging as I find them, and will post on the group for 3900 FLPs.

Ralph

TxCowboy

Wanted to update this thread:

I went to my local Heartland dealer who just received one of these 3900 FLP units in stock and had it on display. The Vehicle Gross Weight Rating is 16,000 pounds, not 15,500 pounds as listed on the Heartland website. The Dry Weight is pretty much the same as many posted above, somewhere in the 14,200 to 14,400 pound range.

That puts the cargo capacity at around 1600 to 1800 pounds. Carrying full fresh water and a bit of water in the black tank still takes you down to about 1000 pounds for other stuff but that's a heck of a lot better than I originally thought.

I send a notification to HL via their website with a proposed correction to the 3900 FLP website but I have no idea how long it will take them to update the website, if they even do that.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Doh! I forgot I had a pic of the weight labels of a 3900FLP I took at an RV show:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433633191.078664.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433633252.004071.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk