Cargo door locks

Jimnkarens

I have a 2015 BH with Southco cargo door latch/locks. I have read several articles stating that the key is common to many other RVs meaning that mine and yours may not be all that secure.
does anyone know if this is true and if the lock can be changed?

Jimnkarens

DocFather,
yeah I emailed Southco customer service with this question. Their response was not helpful. They suggested that I contact Heartland directly. I sent an email to HL customer service, also. No reply yet.

DocFather

DocFather,
yeah I emailed Southco customer service with this question. Their response was not helpful. They suggested that I contact Heartland directly. I sent an email to HL customer service, also. No reply yet.

I sort of read the site quick-like. I thought it said you can program to your specific code choices and I assumed from an endless combination. Sorry

danemayer

Hi Jimnkarens,

The 751 key on your battery compartment, and front storage, and on the power cord cover (if you have that), is common to every RV.

My understanding of the oval shaped Southco/Fastec key on the pass through storage is that it's not as common as the 751, but it's not as secure as a car door lock. And of course, a pry bar or screwdriver will do the trick for thieves.

I think you can order replacement slam latches for a minimal outlay and have them keyed the same as your entry door. Here's a link.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ever since we have owned a camper, the cargo door keys have been interchangeable with any other campers cargo locks. We go to the nascar races and have watched people go thru the campgrounds opening up many cargo doors and pulling out stuff and then relocking them so folks don't know they been broken into until later. The campground we camp in hire an off-duty policeman to patrol the campground while folks are at the races. We have changed the common locks out on 4 of our campers in the past.

eddylives

I just took all my locks to a local lock shop and had them all re-keyed alike with a stand alone key....even managed to get the outdoor shower half size lock to work when they were not sure if it could be done.