Carlisle tire throws tread TPM Didn't help

TX_Clay

One of my Carlisle threw its tread on the way home last Sunday. Less than 2500 miles on them. Had checked the TPM just 30 seconds prior and everything looked great, pressure and temps. Then I hear a noise and look in my rearview mirror and see all kinds of pieces flying around behind the trailer. Lift my foot off accelerator to begin slowing down and I then hear a pop and TPM starts sounding off for my right rear tire. Man, tire tread does a number on the metal skirting when it comes off in one long strip.
Get home and start removing the damaged pieces to try and get an idea of what I will need. Several emails and calls to Heartland and I believe I have a accurate parts list and pricing. The one panel is 120" long and shipping on it is going to be 2x the value of the part. Plus, the fender well enclosures (plastic squares that box in the fender well) Heartland no longer carries. (FYI, trailer is 2015 CY3010). They offer some that are rounded on the end instead of square. So I am in talks with a sheet metal fabricator to see what he would charge me for 4 of them.
BTW, went to Discount Tire and asked to get rid of the Carlisle's and put on BF Goodrich LT Radial tires. We will see how this works out. Just goes to show, even though I had monitoring, you can't protect against everything.

Attachments

• 20160928_175347.jpg
    20160928_175347.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20160925_180116.jpg
    20160925_180116.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 100
  • 20160925_180107.jpg
    20160925_180107.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20160925_180056.jpg
    20160925_180056.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 112

Jim.Allison

One of my Carlisle threw its tread on the way home last Sunday. Less than 2500 miles on them. Had checked the TPM just 30 seconds prior and everything looked great, pressure and temps. Then I hear a noise and look in my rearview mirror and see all kinds of pieces flying around behind the trailer. Lift my foot off accelerator to begin slowing down and I then hear a pop and TPM starts sounding off for my right rear tire. Man, tire tread does a number on the metal skirting when it comes off in one long strip.
Get home and start removing the damaged pieces to try and get an idea of what I will need. Several emails and calls to Heartland and I believe I have a accurate parts list and pricing. The one panel is 120" long and shipping on it is going to be 2x the value of the part. Plus, the fender well enclosures (plastic squares that box in the fender well) Heartland no longer carries. (FYI, trailer is 2015 CY3010). They offer some that are rounded on the end instead of square. So I am in talks with a sheet metal fabricator to see what he would charge me for 4 of them.
BTW, went to Discount Tire and asked to get rid of the Carlisle's and put on BF Goodrich LT Radial tires. We will see how this works out. Just goes to show, even though I had monitoring, you can't protect against everything.

My Towmax damage was covered by my insurance, $2500 damage, and they paid for one of the rims that was scratched by the blown tire, but not the tire.

SNOKING

Was this one of the new Radial Trail RD tires that came out a few years ago? What size and how old? Ask Carlisle to pay for the damage. If 16" there are better tires available than the BFG LT's. Chris

Lynn1130

My recent experience with trying to get the tire company to pay was -forget it- file an insurance claim. It was comprehensive so cost me $100 and Discount Tire had already covered the blown tire. The tire company will want a bunch of BS info, including the old tire. It was not worth the hassle.

On the other hand, when the Tow Max blew in 2012, I went after the parent company in Canada and they paid all, but they also lost the tire I sent, or claimed UPS lost it.

avvidclif

Check the load rating on the BFG's and see if they will work.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looking at the pic with the spare, something looks strange. Are the tires in line with each other? They look like they are at different angles. Maybe you have an alignment issue that lead to a tire failure? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Clay

I went back and looked at them and everything looks to be in line. Not sure if it is optical illusion or what, but I see what you were talking about.

Sniper

Clay I can tell you this based on our tire experience this past April. The folks on this forum helped me figure out what was going on. On what looked to me as the front axle had rotated, actually turned out that both tires on the front axle had the tread separating from the carcass raising the front axle due to tire growth caused be the seperation! Both of them, and both tires were still at exactly 80 psi. When the service guy showed up, and took the tires off you could literally move the tread around. I'm sure a few more miles, and they would have let go very suddenly. We were very, very fortunate indeed.

tireman9

TPMS do not predict tread/belt separations. The pressure monitors only can warn of loss of air that can lead to sidewall flex "blowout".

Tread/belt separations take many hundreds of miles to develop, primarily due to overload, low inflation and excessive speed.

Close inspection as outlined here can many times identify a tire that has internal structural problems before there is damage to the RV.

TPMS is still an excellent investment as short term ( 5 min to an hour) air loss can lead to sidewall failure which is completely different than tread/belt separation.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Usually when that happens they start heating up and will have a significantly higher temperature that the others. Sorry to hear that you had an issue.

Rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro