Cat scratching love seat in RV

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I wish soft paws had worked for us, ours just sat around chewing them off. ;) of course, they were young and crazy, too!

But they never sharpened on furniture, only scratching posts. We did trim them every so often.

I miss my boys! RIP Whiskers 2010 and Velcro 2012.

We will be owned by a cat again, but not just yet. When adopting, I may consider a previously-declawed indoor-only cat, but would not do it to one that was not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RanCarr

We bought the soft paws and had her groomer put them on... she looks fabulous in purple. They do work and have decided to never de-claw her. They should last for 6 weeks so every time she goes in for her grooming I will have them put a new set on. Hot Pink next time.

These SoftPaws are very popular and recommended by every cat Forum I've been on or checked out. :)

RanCarr

I wish soft paws had worked for us, ours just sat around chewing them off. ;) of course, they were young and crazy, too!

But they never sharpened on furniture, only scratching posts. We did trim them every so often.

I miss my boys! RIP Whiskers 2010 and Velcro 2012.

We will be owned by a cat again, but not just yet. When adopting, I may consider a previously-declawed indoor-only cat, but would not do it to one that was not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you check with any Rescue or shelter you will find plenty of de-clawed cats. The kind of people who declaw, or so I was told by a few Rescue workers, are not generally the kind of people who keep cats for life. They don't put much value on them. I don't know if that's true or not, but I saw no indication it isn't when I look at the pet adds on Craigslist.

RanCarr

Happy RVing (w/ ur Soft Pawed cats) !

Please remember that SoftPaws renders cats helpless if they sneak out of the house. They may not be able to climb a tree if necessary or defend themselves if attacked by a predator. Fortunately the water bottle convinced out cats that only the scratching posts and the several cat trees and cat-condos are safe to scratch. It look less than 2 weeks to convince them to leave the furniture alone. :) One of our cats never did try and use the furniture. He used the cat-trees right from the start.

And we do clip the tips off their claws about once a month so they don't snag the carpets or our clothing when jumping in our laps.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you check with any Rescue or shelter you will find plenty of de-clawed cats. The kind of people who declaw, or so I was told by a few Rescue workers, are not generally the kind of people who keep cats for life. They don't put much value on them. I don't know if that's true or not, but I saw no indication it isn't when I look at the pet adds on Craigslist.

And I would say that is pure self-righteous, holier than thou bullcrap. Until these latest two 8 yr. old furballs, we declawed our indoor cats. None of them were ever given up to shelters, when they had ailments we spent whatever it took to help them (4-figures in some cases), and three of the previous five lived to be 15 or more years old. Have you ever administered a bolus of Ringers every three days to an aged cat with failing kidneys to keep him going? Or use a Flo-vent inhaler on another with a malignant tumor in her nasal passages? And it was me that held them close when it was finally time for the vet to end their suffering.

And all of our cats, save except two, were refugee's we obtained from our vets. The first we bought for a buck. Another was our first Maine Coon we adopted from a coworker that had to give her up. We already had two when we took her in.

I once tried to adopt a couple of Abby's from a rescue group (at $300 each). After filling out their application and the phone interview, they sent an email saying we weren't suitable. Maybe I should have sent our vet bills in as part of our resume'.

If you toss a stone, expect a boulder in return.

RanCarr

And I would say that is pure self-righteous, holier than thou bullcrap.

Due to the large number of declawed cats for adoption and in shelters, I only repeated what I was told, and said so.

Until these latest two 8 yr. old furballs, we declawed our indoor cats. None of them were ever given up to shelters, when they had ailments we spent whatever it took to help them (4-figures in some cases), and three of the previous five lived to be 15 or more years old. Have you ever administered a bolus of Ringers every three days to an aged cat with failing kidneys to keep him going? Or use a Flo-vent inhaler on another with a malignant tumor in her nasal passages? And it was me that held them close when it was finally time for the vet to end their suffering.

Irrelevant to the fact de-clawing is of no benefit to the cat, it's painful, there could be and often are complications, and over 26 Nations and some USA cities have banned the practice. That should tell you something. There is plenty of information online regarding this unnecessary surgery.

And all of our cats, save except two, were refugee's we obtained from our vets. The first we bought for a buck. Another was our first Maine Coon we adopted from a coworker that had to give her up. We already had two when we took her in.

I once tried to adopt a couple of Abby's from a rescue group (at $300 each). After filling out their application and the phone interview, they sent an email saying we weren't suitable. Maybe I should have sent our vet bills in as part of our resume'.

If you toss a stone, expect a boulder in return.

Only from those who put material things above living things, sentient beings with the capacity to feel and to suffer...........

mutilation.jpg

declawed-hand.jpg

ParkIt

Back to the subject....for decades I've used two things: a spray bottle and "sticky paws" strips. They really don't like the strips and over the years it really doesn't leave a residue on furniture. Couple of years ago I bought a catnip infused cardboard thing from PetSmart and found I needed three since the kitties would fight over which one was theirs. They haven't touched the furniture in years but I'm finding cardboard boxes shredded on the corners because I've been too lazy to replace the catnip infused cardboard thingies. It's not fun when you are packing things for storage and find the entire corner is shredded... ;)