Ceiling Fan Question

MDWoods

Hello all,
Sorry if this topic has been beat up but here goes; I have a 2021 BC 3155RLK. As soon as I got home from the dealer on pick up, the ceiling fan, which had been working at the dealer walk through, made a loud noise-like it was under heavy load, visibly sparked and stop working completely. The fan had been left on, and when I plugged in to the 30 amp box at home I believe I fried it, I am working on upgrading to a 50 amp circuit. All other systems were off so it seems there was no other damage. I have already ordered a replacement. My question is, since this is 120 volts, can I confirm that it will only work when i'm plugged into shore power. Does this fan have a fuse or breaker anywhere? I could not find one burned out or tripped anywhere. In addition to the pull chain it also operates off my one control pad. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Trying not to fry the new fan. Thanks in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since the fan fried when you plugged in to shore power I have to ask about your 30 Amp receptacle.
Is your receptacle wired for an RV?
RV receptacle are not wired the same as a dryer or welder for example.
It sounds like you threw 240 volts at your fan rather than 120 it should see.

Peace
Dave

MDWoods

Thanks for the reply. Its actually an RV specific 30 amp plug in I had added a number of years ago, when 30 amp trailers were more prominent. When I have the 50 amp upgrade I'll make sure the electrician double checks everything. Thank you though, you are the only one who had a suggestion at this point.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The fan is 120v and the wires are joined with typical household wire nuts. The wire nut on the hot lead may have vibrated loose on the trek home. When power was connected the loose connection arc and power was lost to the fan. I’d remove and inspect before running out to buy a new one. Maybe nothing wrong with it if my scenario is correct

taskswap

I definitely recommend something like the Hughes Power Watchdog - it, or its competitor, is a must-have for every RV in my personal opinion. Many devices in RVs are sensitive to bad power and power poles are notorious for bad wiring, breakers, and other issues.