Ceiling water damage - attic vent cap flew off and rain got in!

Disco

Hi all, so we have no idea when exactly the attic vent cap blew off, but we have been through some pretty major rainstorms here in Florida and water got in. We have a mid-bunk floor plan on our Gateway 3712, and we use the loft for storage so we never really go up there. A few weeks ago my daughter climbed up there and pointed out that the light fixture was dripping water and the ceiling was full of bubbles! I did inspect through the vent and moved around the insulation, and thankfully I did not see any mold, however a lot of water could have got in there and spread throughout the roof.

My questions are should I replace that ceiling panel, and if so, how would I go about it? Also is there any way I can know if the rest of the attic has damage or mold? We have heard horror stories about mold. I have included photos of the damage. Thank you for your help.
20221001_095615.jpg

20221001_095605.jpg

Roller4tan

Once you remove the moldings around the ceiling and pry off the panel you should be able to survey the area beyond. If the wall was put up last you may have to cut the perimeter to get it down.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You should invest in Maxxair vent covers to go over the thin flimsy lids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Have you checked the roof yet for any damage?
Some water would have gotten in, but the way the roof vents are, with a sleeve that goes on the inside of the vent for the inside trim, it should have kept allot of the water from the ceiling and it would have gone straight on the storage area. Can you post a pic of the vent?
Also, the MaxxAir vent covers are great as said.

Disco

Thanks for your replies. I did inspect just inside of the vent. It just goes straight in to the insulation and wood surfaces. I did not find any obvious water damage, but a lot of water definitely got in judging by the amount collected dripping from the light fixture. I will be removing and inspecting the ceiling panel above the loft next.

Yes, we are definitely investing in the vent covers.

So much we wish we would have known sooner!

Last edited:

rhodies1

Disco. From what I’m reading in your text . It’s the small round attic vent that the cover cane off and not the 14 by 14 inch wind up ceiling vent. I could be incorrect in my reading of your issue. If it’s the small round attic vent , then unfortunately there is no additional cover for these vents. You’ll need to install a new cover and ensure it has the locking screw in place to keep it from blowing off. I also put a dab of silicone over the screw head on the cover as well.

Disco

That is correct, it is the small round attic vent. Its unfortunate how such a small cover coming off can cause so much damage. I am realizing now that we have been neglecting a lot of general maintenance and regular inspection.

rhodies1

Is your attic insulation foam or bat insulation. If it’s the bat insulation,,,you’ll have to remove it from the ceiling because it will turn black and moldy. Mold is not good for your health . Unfortunately you will probably not be able to match the paneling but there are some nice sheets of paneling available as a replacement. You can try Heartland gif the product but price and shipping could cost you an arm and leg but it’s worth a shot.

Disco

It is batt insulation. Yes mold is what we are afraid of. I will contact Heartland to get their recommendation.