Cell service - Should I stay or should I go?

wdk450

We have had Verizon for over 15 years and so far we've been happy with their coverage, most especially here in the Colorado Rockies, where very few of the other cell carriers have had service in the past.

However, we are now at the point where it is time to get new phones, but Verizon now is so expensive that it is getting out of hand (like DirecTV :mad: ).

Cathy's phone has been paid off for over two years and mine just got paid off earlier this morning with our auto-payment.

And to make matters worse, right now we have a 2GB per month data plan, and to get unlimited data through Verizon would raise our bill another $85 a month, which would put our cell bill around $200 per month.

Now, we rarely ever come close to our 2GB a month, but that is mostly due to us not using our data because of worrying about going over the 2GB.

I'd like to get into the new millenium along with the rest of the world and not worry about those high data overage charges.

Now most of the other carriers are offering unlimited data plans for much less, so we are considering possibly switching.

What cell services are you guys using and are you happy with them?

Having unlimited data isn't much good if you can't reach their cell tower for a signal. I have had a Jitterbug phone (Great Call) and now have a TracFone, both who use Verizon towers. I got the TracFone through HSN TV shopping, and have a prepaid phone with triple minutes (voice, data and text) for life. I order $30 prepaid and get $90 prepaid. ON EDIT: I spend $30 on the phone about once every 3 months as I don't use it much. I forgot to mention before the I have a Verizon hotspot, 10Gb, $80 a month for my laptop data needs.

Check out the chart on this webpage to see what cellphone companies use which tower networks, then check their websites for a phone plan that appeals to you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think we are going to stick with Verizon and may go get our new Moto Droid Z's tomorrow night!

May bump our data plan up a couple more GB's.

They have a special on the phones right now where both phones will cost the same as my phone did per month.

Plus they'll each come with the video projector backs for free.

Can't wait to get back to the Droid Z!

But keep the info coming . . .

It is good to hear about all of the other services.

Plus . . . maybe I'll be swayed to switch!

Power247

We've tried leaving Verizon twice. Both times were an attempt to save money but just could not get coverage where/when we needed it most. We currently have an 8gig plan with rollover for me, wife and MIL and so far data has not been an issue. I'd love for another carrier to invest in coverage like Verizon did so they would!d have some real competition but it doesn't look like we will see that any time soon.

I traded my Samsung S7 (long story) for a Droid Z Force last year and have been really happy with the phone. I only have the wireless charging batter pack mod so far but like the idea of the projector and the speaker mods. Recently the wife traded her Samsung S6 for an LG G6 and that is also a very nice phone. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either again.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

BLR

Verizon all the way 2 phones 1 hotspot.. we have 22 GB and when we hit the road full-time we will be switching to the unlimited plan.. We mainly boondock..

Sent from BLR Logistics

JohnD

I traded my Samsung S7 (long story) for a Droid Z Force last year and have been really happy with the phone. I only have the wireless charging batter pack mod so far but like the idea of the projector and the speaker mods. Recently the wife traded her Samsung S6 for an LG G6 and that is also a very nice phone. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either again.

Cathy still has her Droid Max and I had one (got them both the same day a few years back) and loved it, but the Wifi quit working on mine, so when I got a new phone I thought I'd try something else.

While my HTC One M9 is a great phone, I've never really liked it since the day I got it two years ago . . .

Seems that anytime I try to do something with it I have to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out, where the Droid Max phones are very intuitive and just did things the way you would think it should be done without having to call tech support every time you want to send a text.

:p

Stickdog

I retired and started fulltime in 2010. I've had Cell One which became Cingular which became AT&T since 1993. After reading on forums that Verizon was best for national voice and data coverage decided to migrate our home phone number to Verizon and get a data package and wifi modem.

I kept my AT&T cell though my usage went down considerbly without work usage. I had the smallest plan that had national coverage, it was costing $49.00 a month 350 minutes + rollover minutes. Expensive when my usage was under 60 minutes a month. Switched to consumer cellular that uses the AT&T network for $14.99 for 100 minutes more than enough for my needs.

With Verizon we started with the phone 250 minutes +free nights and weekends and unlimited data and another 5gig on the mifi which was I believe $149.00 but when I upgraded to 4G it seemed I was always running over my 5 gig so upgraded to 10 gig and around $200.Then last October Verizon offered us a deal 22 gig with rollover, 450 minutes on the phone and unlimited texts for $169.00. More for Less couldn't pass it up.

As for phones I finially gave up my flipphone and went with a smart phone from consumer cellular Moto G $149.00 and upgraded my service with a 1/2 gig data package.
Wife needed a new phone hers did not have accept an SD card so purchased an unlocked MotoG that would work on Verizon for another $149.00.

We also switched to android tablets for surfing the web. We've yet to come close to 22 gig and have roll over every month. I have found that when we're traveling Google maps use a lot of bytes.

JohnD

We did get new phones over the weekend and stayed with Verizon.

We kept the same plan and got two Moto Z2 Play phones, plus got the JBL speaker backs for each phone FREE!

So far I don't miss my HTC One M9 phone. :)

NYSUPstater

Once our techno guro son gets his butt out of bed, I'll have him read this thread and offer his $.02. Will admit now that he's an advid fan of Verizon and Apple phones, but he seems to know his stuff on this and often reviews our bill to see who is using what/how much and if/where we can save $$$. Currently we have 3 smart phones (all Apple) and 1 dumb phone (flip) and pay just over 200 bucks a month. Think we have 4gig/month for all 4. Anyways, will report back soon.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
A good source for all things internet related for Rvers:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/overview/

You don't have to join to gain a lot of valuable knowledge. But joining gets you more detail, like product reviews, a great forum, and expert advice.

Btw I get nothing from this organization. I joined to learn, and found it to be worth the $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

I have Verizon and have been happy with it. I normally don't get concerned with the cost, but do have the veterans discount. I don't know whether it is good or bad, but I pay about 130 a month, for two smart phones, two jet packs, ten GB of data, plus 2 bonus GB and unused data rolls over which is nice as we have a tendency to use a lot on the road, but none when we are home (like now for a month). The only place I have found no service is Utopia, TX (ATT only). We have been all over the US from here to the tip of Maine to Florida and all across the south, midwest, and west (except for CA and some north west states). I see absolutely no reason to change.

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

Well Jr finally got up and read things over and to my bad, I didn't read fully that OP made a new purchase to which I apologize. That being said, he suggests John that you get an add'l 2 gigs (probly a $ 50/month). Sticking w/ Verizon is best choice.

alexb2000

I have been looking as well and here are a couple of observations.

No Unlimited plan is truly unlimited, they all throttle you after a certain amount of usage.

Some quote prices with tax and fees included and some do not, this is fairly significant.

Some offer discounts like military, BUT they also offer cheaper plans that don't offer the discount so it really negates the effect.

Here are some to consider:

If you need a new phone now, don't travel Internationally (other than Mex and Can) then check out Virgin Mobile. They off 12 months for $1 unlimited plan if you buy an iPhone and join. They are in essence paying for the iPhone over the first 12 months plus some. This is the Sprint network.

T-Mobile's unlimited plan is $40 including taxes and fees. They throttle after 32GB (Verizon's and AT&T's unlimited is 22GB for example). T-mobile is the best if you travel internationally, about 100 countries are free unlimited data and text with .20 calls. Verizon, AT&T, etc. charge about $10 a day you travel).

Verizon's unlimited is $80 mo. plus taxes and fees, but you get a 15% Military discount you get tethering and HD video streaming for that price where you have to pay $10 more at places like T-Mobile.

AT&T is good if you also have Directv because you get a discount of $25, sometimes. Keep in mind they limit download speed, throttle after 22GB, limit to standard def on the lower plans. Fairly complex offerings to navigate.

I could go on, but you get the picture, you really have to dig into these plans since none of the terms like unlimited mean the same thing.

Mattman

Next time I suggest you don't get the phone from the store. Get a left over model from Amazon or other and take it in. They will activate it for you. Some you can do online. Can save you couple hundred bucks if you don't have to have the latest and greatest.

wdk450

I have been looking as well and here are a couple of observations.

No Unlimited plan is truly unlimited, they all throttle you after a certain amount of usage.

Some quote prices with tax and fees included and some do not, this is fairly significant.

Some offer discounts like military, BUT they also offer cheaper plans that don't offer the discount so it really negates the effect.

Here are some to consider:

If you need a new phone now, don't travel Internationally (other than Mex and Can) then check out Virgin Mobile. They off 12 months for $1 unlimited plan if you buy an iPhone and join. They are in essence paying for the iPhone over the first 12 months plus some. This is the Sprint network.

T-Mobile's unlimited plan is $40 including taxes and fees. They throttle after 32GB (Verizon's and AT&T's unlimited is 22GB for example). T-mobile is the best if you travel internationally, about 100 countries are free unlimited data and text with .20 calls. Verizon, AT&T, etc. charge about $10 a day you travel).

Verizon's unlimited is $80 mo. plus taxes and fees, but you get a 15% Military discount you get tethering and HD video streaming for that price where you have to pay $10 more at places like T-Mobile.

AT&T is good if you also have Directv because you get a discount of $25, sometimes. Keep in mind they limit download speed, throttle after 22GB, limit to standard def on the lower plans. Fairly complex offerings to navigate.

I could go on, but you get the picture, you really have to dig into these plans since none of the terms like unlimited mean the same thing.

One thing I would like to add to your excellent observations is that for all carriers I know of, the "unlimited data" feature does not apply if you are using a stand alone WiFi hotspot, or if you are using your phone as a hotspot.

JohnD

How fast does everyone go through their GigaBytes?

And what kind of use do you do to use up the GB's?

dlw930

John, we had 20 GB of data per month that we were using up occasionally. Of course, we're FT and have to download software and app updates using our data. This spring, I had Verizon switch us to their unlimited international plan which they did at no additional charge. (That has worked reasonably well on our recent travels in Canada, but limits us to 1/2 GB per device per day and sometimes reduces to 3G speed). Our Jetpack mifi is limited to 10 GB per month, but phones and tablets are unlimited in U.S. We've occasionally used the 10 GB of Jetpack data, but only when we have to download lots of software updates. As a side note, we had AT&T when we still had S&B and tolerated it's less than stellar coverage when we traveled. We switched to Verizon when we went FT b/c of better coverage, and chalked it up to a cost of FTing.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
How fast does everyone go through their GigaBytes?

And what kind of use do you do to use up the GB's?

I use 22 gig a month and don't pay any attention to it. Mostly forums and social media

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We fulltime but are stationary due to working, so our travel is more like vacation travel. We use our AT&T hotspot as our main internet source in the rig, plus 2 phones and a Mobley (car hotspot).

I also work from home via the internet with my customers (emails, file transfers, online meetings, etc), so I tend to use a lot of data.

We are using about 70GB a month. We have AT&T's unlimited plus plan, which can be subject to network management (if on a congested tower) when each device reaches 22GB. So far we really haven't noticed a slowdown.

ramdually4100king

My family has three unlimited lines with T-Mobile. We FT and run through about 80 Gb per phone per month. We switched from unlimited AT&T because they would only let us tether our phones for 10Gb total for all three phones.

I have used my phone everywhere with either LTE or 3G service depending on their infrastructure. Nebraska to California, Florida, Virginia, Mexico, panama, Columbia, Haiti, Guam, South Korea, Hawaii, and I'll test it in the UAE soon. I've never been charged more for data. With at&t I was charged $15 a month just to use the phone overseas and then charged for each Gb used.

Also an unlimited plan with at&t was $250 for two phones. When we had Verizon it was $210 per phone for unlimited (that was 12 years ago though). With T-Mobile and three phones it was $185 before adding LTE tethering (normal tethering is 3G) for two lines now it's $235.

carl.swoyer

Call them and tell them you considering canceling. I got 6 gigs free and I upgraded to the 8 g plan with roll over data. My bill for two phones 145

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk