Changing Tire Sizes on a 4100 King

AlwaysOnLiberty

I am about to get rid of the infamous China bomb tires that are on my 2014 4100 King. They are size ST/235/80/16E. Do I have enough room to switch to a LT/235/85/E like the Michelin XPS Ribs? Has anyone done this? Did you encounter any clearance issues due to the triple axle trailer?

Thanks,
Dan

marvmarcy

I looked up the two tire sizes and they are .92" difference in diameter - the 235/80/16 is 30.8" and the 235/85/16 is 31.72". That means the treads would be .92" closer with the XPS RIBS. Measure your tire spacing and tread clearance and see if it can safely be .92" less. I recently replaced my 16" GY 614s with 17.5" GY 114s to increase load and speed ratings.

ramdually4100king

I thought about upgrading tires on the OEM rims to G614's but determined that the reduced clearance while backing would cause the tires to rub. I have decided to upgrade to 17.5" rims with the G114 tire. The diameter of the tire is actually smaller then the blowmax.

I currently full time and haven't changed yet but when my employer decides to move the family again I will spend the $7000 on wheels and tires for piece of mind.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

You should not be in the $7000 area, more like $4500. I bought 5 tire and rim assemblies for less than $3500, delivered to my door by Federal Express.
I thought about upgrading tires on the OEM rims to G614's but determined that the reduced clearance while backing would cause the tires to rub. I have decided to upgrade to 17.5" rims with the G114 tire. The diameter of the tire is actually smaller then the blowmax.

I currently full time and haven't changed yet but when my employer decides to move the family again I will spend the $7000 on wheels and tires for piece of mind.

Good luck with your decision.

marvmarcy

You should not be in the $7000 area, more like $4500. I bought 5 tire and rim assemblies for less than $3500, delivered to my door by Federal Express.

You're right on! I ordered four new 17.5" aluminum wheels (keep the original spare) @ $225 each delivered (included hub caps and chrome lug nuts). The local tire shop sold me four GY114 215/85/17.5 @ $425 each mounted and balanced. Total wheel-tire upgrade $2600. Your triple axles should be $3,900.

Jim.Allison

What rims did you buy? I bought HiSpec mod 3. Fed Ex delivered the whole assembly to my front door and I did not pay sales tax (texas). I forgot to have them balanced though. I think I got all 5 for 3300 and change. Took an hour to install and a couple of miller lights. And yes caps and lugs included.

Actually you're 2600 upgrade is a good deal!

You're right on! I ordered four new 17.5" aluminum wheels (keep the original spare) @ $225 each delivered (included hub caps and chrome lug nuts). The local tire shop sold me four GY114 215/85/17.5 @ $425 each mounted and balanced. Total wheel-tire upgrade $2600. Your triple axles should be $3,900.

marvmarcy

Jim, I got the SL185B wheels from Wheels Express in OK. They may not be as good a choice as the Hi Spec but seem to be very well made - time will tell. I just drove 2750 miles at 70 mph in four day because of a family emergency, and the wheels and tires performed beautifully.

I try to buy big-ticket items when I'm home in the summer because MT has no sales tax.

Power-Stroke

I am about to get rid of the infamous China bomb tires that are on my 2014 4100 King. They are size ST/235/80/16E. Do I have enough room to switch to a LT/235/85/E like the Michelin XPS Ribs? Has anyone done this? Did you encounter any clearance issues due to the triple axle trailer?

Thanks,
Dan

I replaced the towmax tires on my 2014 4100 with the XPS Ribs (on the OEM wheels) that you referenced. I've had zero problems.
Jay

Jim.Allison

The HiSpec were made in China, so I don't know about the quality so much, but they did have steel inserts and are supposed to be a solution to wheel separation. So I bought them. The wheels you bought look more like OEM style spoke wheels, bet they looked good once you got them on.

Jim, I got the SL185B wheels from Wheels Express in OK. They may not be as good a choice as the Hi Spec but seem to be very well made - time will tell. I just drove 2750 miles at 70 mph in four day because of a family emergency, and the wheels and tires performed beautifully.

I try to buy big-ticket items when I'm home in the summer because MT has no sales tax.