2009 BH 3055RL Tire upgrade advice

benmack1

Hello- I just bought a BH 3055RL and it has the original tire/wheels.

It has 8 lug hubs on 6000 lb axles. The spacing between the tire edges seems very limited (compared to some other rigs I have looked at so I am worried about overall size/clearance if i change sizes). It has ST235/80R16 tires on it now. I think originals.

I want to upgrade and have been reading and I see 3 options.

Most preferred in my head but not sure if this will work OK.

1) Upgrade to 215/75/r17.5 (meaning new rims and tires). This is overkill since this is not that heavy of a trailer. Will it ride OK? The other concern is a actual slight loss in height. I don't want to lose anymore than I have to as I am pulling with a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 and it is very tall so I have to worry about nose high conditions but I think a 1/4 to 1/2 in on the tire height may not be a biggie. Thoughts on this idea? has anyone else done this on this model trailer?

Less preferred but maybe the best idea?

2) Upgrade to Sailun 235/85R16 using the same rims as are on it. I think they are rated for 110psi but need to verify that.

3) Change to an LT tires of some sort Duravis 250 Mich XPS ribs (not sure on those sizes). This was my least desired option but I am open to input which is why I am posting.

Any input appreciated with specific examples most appreciated

branson4020

Icantre Member
When I needed new tires for my 2009 BH 3385, I went with MAXXIS. They are an exact replacement for your stock tires. I don't think you can find a bad word about them.

Gaffer

The 3055 is not very heavy. It is under 10000 lbs loaded weight on the axels. I put Maxxis on my 3055 and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

MTPockets

Dry weight on my 3055 was tagged at the factory, 11,756 lbs.. Mine was factory upgraded to 7000 lb axles and G614 Goodyears. 3 1/2 yrs full time and tires are doing great, about 20,000 trailer miles.

GOTTOYS

I have Michelin XPS Ribs. 235/85/16 size. A bit close together but never a problem. They are an LT tire with all steel belts, no fabric. Load range E is more enough for my trailer which weighs about the same as yours. In 3 years I have put approx. 16,000 miles on them. Trouble free. Never lose any air, wear pattern is great. Not limited to 65mph like ST tires. Can't think of a single reason not to use them. I would buy them again in a heartbeat...Don

jimtoo

Times 2 on what Don said about the Michelin XPS. I had them on a 3055RL,, no problems.

Jim M