Chattering.

danemayer

Here's a picture of a transfer switch.
Transfer Switch notated.jpg

You can safely investigate inside with shore power disconnected. Make sure people around you know that your cord has been disconnected deliberately so they don't help you by plugging it in.

Remove the top cover. There's a wiring diagram inside the top cover. But you'll see 2 thick wires on one end, and a single wire on the other end - just like the picture. The shore power connection is lined up with the output to the circuit breaker panel.

That leaves the generator connection by itself. You'll want to use an allen wrench to ensure connections are tight. Also check the wire connections opposite where the generator is connected.

Check for discoloration or any indication of heat damage.

The other end of the generator wire goes to a junction box situated near the generator. You should also inspect the connections there.

If voltage drops below about 106V AC on L1, the contactors in the transfer switch will drop. If power from the generator (normally 120V AC) is sitting right around 106V, the contactors will chatter.

Again, you'll want to have shore power disconnected. If you're not sure what you're doing, working inside a high-current electrical device could be very dangerous.

Nbomar

Here's a picture of a transfer switch.
View attachment 51932

You can safely investigate inside with shore power disconnected. Make sure people around you know that your cord has been disconnected deliberately so they don't help you by plugging it in.

Remove the top cover. There's a wiring diagram inside the top cover. But you'll see 2 thick wires on one end, and a single wire on the other end - just like the picture. The shore power connection is lined up with the output to the circuit breaker panel.

That leaves the generator connection by itself. You'll want to use an allen wrench to ensure connections are tight. Also check the wire connections opposite where the generator is connected.

Check for discoloration or any indication of heat damage.

The other end of the generator wire goes to a junction box situated near the generator. You should also inspect the connections there.

If voltage drops below about 106V AC on L1, the contactors in the transfer switch will drop. If power from the generator (normally 120V AC) is sitting right around 106V, the contactors will chatter.

Again, you'll want to have shore power disconnected. If you're not sure what you're doing, working inside a high-current electrical device could be very dangerous.

I definitely don't know what I'm doing, but your instructions help a lot! As long as no power is hooked up or running I should be ok I would assume...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I definitely don't know what I'm doing, but your instructions help a lot! As long as no power is hooked up or running I should be ok I would assume...

As long as you have no power from either the generator running, or from shore power, you'll be ok.

But I'm assuming you don't have any aftermarket solar power or inverters complicating your electric setup.

Nbomar

As long as you have no power from either the generator running, or from shore power, you'll be ok.

But I'm assuming you don't have any aftermarket solar power or inverters complicating your electric setup.

No all stock.

esscobra

@jesstalkn do you have a link to your info on this? What does a transfer switch look like and what should I take apart on it to check for loose wires.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=481847&viewfull=1#post481847

this should link to jerrods details or page 88 on his thread- many of the 5500 units have a 30 and 20a breaker- and the 20a is prob to small for the a/c and other items on it- so he changed to a 30a to solve problem

- - - Updated - - -

You will want to make sure all the screw hold downs on the wires are good and tight-

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sorry I've been on the road all day.
Here's a picture of the inside of my transfer switch.
ddc54a018abcf0ccc7bd3be9256cda50.jpg
1c40a820c9f456e0983f50d3bb8195f7.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nbomar

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=481847&viewfull=1#post481847

this should link to jerrods details or page 88 on his thread- many of the 5500 units have a 30 and 20a breaker- and the 20a is prob to small for the a/c and other items on it- so he changed to a 30a to solve problem

- - - Updated - - -

You will want to make sure all the screw hold downs on the wires are good and tight-

Ive heard of this before. Mine doesn't have this problem. I've got 300+ hours on the generator and it hasn't had a problem until recently. Something changed... my guess is something is loose somewhere.

PondSkum

I have a similar problem in my road warrior with 2 ac and Onan generator. When on shore power I have no issues whatsoever. When on generator I can only run 1 ac. The second ac cause the whole camper to flicker and the transfer switch chatters like crazy. I know I need to check for loose connections, but where do I look? Pictures that are labeled would be greatly helpful. The only thing that I really, REALLY don't like is electricity. I don't mind working on it but what to know what I'm doing before I pull the basement all apart.

I have this exact same scenario, but sometimes it starts both A/C's fine, and others it will kick the transfer switch and chatter really loud. Did you find your transfer switch in your Road Warrior? I guess I will start looking for mine and search down for loose connections first. Just wanted to know if you found your issue yet.

Nbomar

I have this exact same scenario, but sometimes it starts both A/C's fine, and others it will kick the transfer switch and chatter really loud. Did you find your transfer switch in your Road Warrior? I guess I will start looking for mine and search down for loose connections first. Just wanted to know if you found your issue yet.

I replaced my transfer switch a couple weeks ago. Haven’t had a chance to take it out and test it.

PondSkum

I replaced my transfer switch a couple weeks ago. Haven’t had a chance to take it out and test it.

Where was it located? Did you happen to take any pics?

Nbomar

Where was it located? Did you happen to take any pics?

Behind the basement wall. Mine was basically right below and behind the central vacuum unit. Very easy to get to. Not as easy to change just because of the size of the wire. Doable by yourself just need patience.

Dan50

OP here. Just to wrap this up, I installed a MicroAir Easy Start on one of my 15000 btu air conditioners and can run it now on my Yamaha EF2400is with no problem and that includes the fridge on a/c and not turning any breakers off so batteries are being charged as well. A little spendy but cheaper than a bigger jenny and besides I love my Yammy. Thank you all for your comments.