check u bolt torque

lwmcguir

Didn't mean to confuse anyone at all by not posting the link to Lippert. Keystone uses a lot of Lippert components as well. Really doesn't matter who manufactured it as all that matters is the stud diameter and the u-bolt diameter. The torque setting is based on the diameter similar to cars/trucks. The various manufacturers usually give a range with the min and max being the critical factors. You don't want to strip or break a stud or u-bolt but you sure don't want them working loose. As long as you are in the range you will be fine no matter whose document you follow in my opinion. I sure know what happen when the factory forgets to torque them to the minimum. And I fail to check them myself.

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
thanks

This thread sure has been helpful. Went and checked the torque and found 7 nuts loose. I've re-torqued to the correct value and checked all others. Also had the Mission Tires balanced. Each tire took over 5 ounces of lead and the weights had to be installed on both sides of the rims.
Our unit is brand new. Other than the mileage to get the unit from the factory to the dealer, we've put approximately 250 miles on it.
Heading out shortly for S. Cal. with a bit of apprehencion.
To you Jarheads out there, "Happy 234 Birthday"

wdk450

More of the Same

Gang
I thought I would add a new post to this old thread so it would come up as a reminder/newbie info item for those checking the "New Posts" daily, like I do. I crawled under my Bighorn a few days ago, and found about 12 of the 16 U-Bolt nuts under torqued. I had gotten the springs replaced last summer in central Oregon, and made a trip from there to Seattle, and then back to Sacramento. The rig has been in storage ever since.
I also tightened wheel lug nuts and pin box attachment bolts and found some undertorqued fasteners there, too.

Bobby A

Gang
I thought I would add a new post to this old thread so it would come up as a reminder/newbie info item for those checking the "New Posts" daily, like I do. I crawled under my Bighorn a few days ago, and found about 12 of the 16 U-Bolt nuts under torqued. I had gotten the springs replaced last summer in central Oregon, and made a trip from there to Seattle, and then back to Sacramento. The rig has been in storage ever since.
I also tightened wheel lug nuts and pin box attachment bolts and found some undertorqued fasteners there, too.

Good information to bring back up from time to time to remind people that may have not read the original post. What did you set your torque at on the u bolts ??

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
When lippert was checking them at the last Goshen Rally , they said 65 ft. lbs for the u-bolts......Kenny

wyleyrabbit

What a great thread.

I have a torque wrench that I purchased as a result of the advice of people here, and have been faithfully checking the torque on the wheel lugs and yes, occasionally finding loose ones.

I didn't have anything on my checklist for checking the torque on the axle u-bolts, and will add that to my maintenance checklist.

Speaking of checklists, does anyone have a consolidated checklist that covers all of the required checks and maintenance for the various components on our trailers? If not, perhaps we can collectively create one in the spirit of "open source". I would be glad to help in this effort. Perhaps this should be discussed on a new thread? Jim, any thoughts on this?

Chris

beardedone

Beardedone
Just an idea here for Heartland. On your new trailers there is a sticker telling the driver to check the lug nuts on the wheels. Why not modify that decal to include the shackles. It is extremely obvious that owners are not aware of this critical item and they should be. You could also include the foot lbs required.

XXLRUNR

I have previously owned class "A" buses but my 2009 Landmark Augusta is my first purchase of a 5th wheel trailer. Until the time of my accident I had no clue it was necessary to check the torque on the axle U-bolts. I agree with the recommendation of "wyleyrabbit" to consolidate a safety check list before another 5th wheel incident occurs. I had the following series of events occur: Axle U-Bolts loosened; U-Bolts loose..jpg This caused the leaf spring tie bolt to shear off; rt rear tie bolt .JPG you can see from the previous picture I have already lost one of my six leaf springs and number five was on it's way out as well. When the U-Bolts spread;rt rear ubolts s&#112.jpg the leaf springs began to cascade; leaf spring rt  &#114.jpgThese photos depict the damage on the right rear side of the rig. This is what happened on the left side of the rig; Landmark damage4..jpgLandmark damage5..jpg
This was an avoidable accident. Torque specific adjustments should checked, with a torque wrench, on a continual and regular basis, now I do a visual check at every fuel stop.

Attachments

• rt rear spring s&#10.jpg
    rt rear spring s&#10.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Bobby A

I have previously owned class "A" buses but my 2009 Landmark Augusta is my first purchase of a 5th wheel trailer. Until the time of my accident I had no clue it was necessary to check the torque on the axle U-bolts. I agree with the recommendation of "wyleyrabbit" to consolidate a safety check list before another 5th wheel incident occurs. I had the following series of events occur: Axle U-Bolts loosened; View attachment 7047 This caused the leaf spring tie bolt to shear off; View attachment 7048 you can see from the previous picture I have already lost one of my six leaf springs and number five was on it's way out as well. When the U-Bolts spread;View attachment 7046 the leaf springs began to cascade; View attachment 7049These photos depict the damage on the right rear side of the rig. This is what happened on the left side of the rig; View attachment 7050View attachment 7051
This was an avoidable accident. Torque specific adjustments should checked, with a torque wrench, on a continual and regular basis, now I do a visual check at every fuel stop.

WOW, I'am soooo sorry to hear/see of your scary situating, I had the same thing happen to us in October on our way south,
not nearly as bad of results as yours, glad your safe. Mine was a brand new coach with less than a 1000 miles on it, someone
is gonna get seriously hurt or killed, there needs to be some changes made to avoid this from happening.

XXLRUNR

My coach had just under 2000 miles on it when this occurred. Wish I had a very simple safety checklist; check U-Bolt torque, check tire wheel bolt torque, check tire inflation, check tire wear, don't over extend the electric motor driven rear stabilizer legs (may blow the motor), don't over extend, or over retract, the front stabilizer legs (may blow motor), be careful when returning the queen size sleeper mattress back into the couch (pin hole leaks can occur as a result of pinching the air bladder during this procedure), replace the water heater anode at least once per year, bring every tool you own with you, etc,.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The stock U-bolts seem weak to me, the nuts are not whats normally used in a high quailty set up. I raised my unit 1.5" and bought higher quality u-bolts with heavy nuts which are taller and have more threads. (torque setting 85 ft lbs). Re-torque a used nut/bolt weeks later is not correct, the torquing process on a u-bolt needs to be done within a few hours of installation. [note: my replacement U-bolts are slightly larger in diameter warrenting a higher torque value]

Attachments

• PICT0025..JPG
    PICT0025..JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

olcoon

I looked at the pdf lwmcguir posted and at the bottom of page 14, under Suspension Replacement, it's got the torque listed as Min. 45 ft lb, and a max of 70 ft lb.

aclwbaker

Re: More of the Same

Is one brand of torque wrench as good as another? How do you know if they are calabrated correctly? I have been pulling trailers for several years and this is first I have heard of this problem. I will be under the trailer tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up !!

wdk450

Re: More of the Same

Gang:
Just as an added caution: After that afternoon under and beside the trailer torquing about 60 nuts, an old rotator cuff injury has come back to dog me. At my age it will probably be about 6 months until my right shoulder stops playing a symphony of "Pop" music when I flex it.

Gang

Bobby A

The stock U-bolts seem weak to me, the nuts are not whats normally used in a high quailty set up. I raised my unit 1.5" and bought higher quality u-bolts with heavy nuts which are taller and have more threads. (torque setting 85 ft lbs). Re-torque a used nut/bolt weeks later is not correct, the torquing process on a u-bolt needs to be done within a few hours of installation. [note: my replacement U-bolts are slightly larger in diameter warrenting a higher torque value]

I really would hope/hate to think that Lippert would put weak or under value u bolts and nuts on our units, this is a serious safety hazard, has anyone talked to Lippert and get their take on this ?? I also would think that Heartland would put pressure on Lippert, after all, this is a direct reflection on Heartland don't ya think ??

Northern Virginia
Wow XXLRUNR, those are some scary pics. Thanks for posting your story. I will defiantly make U bolt torque part of my checklist. How fast were you running when it all broke loose. How did you realize something was wrong?

John

XXLRUNR

It doesn't seem appropriate to have an unwritten, unstated policy requiring the customer to check the torque of the U-Bolt nuts on a regular and continual basis, however, it is definitely a safety issue, and right or wrong, I will continue checking for my own peace of mind. I understand the safety aspect of checking tire pressure and clearly it is the responsibility of the customer to maintain the recommended tire pressure, but U-Bolts? Loose U-Bolt nuts seem to be fairly common which makes me wonder why Lippert/Heartland do not address this issue. Certainly the service and warranty departments have all the data necessary to identify any weak links in their manufacturing or assembly processes. I don't think Lippert/Heartland see this as a weak link. I can live with water leaks and appliance malfunction, however, trailer frame safety issues, and a "not to worry" attitude by Lippert/Heartland have me worried. I was advised by representatives of Heartland Warranty and Lippert Warranty that the loose nuts were not a serious concern, "just make sure they are torqued to 65#". These answers do not give me a "warm fuzzy", especially since the Lippert adviser (the same person that handled my accident claim) told me a year ago you can not re-use a nut when you replace a U-Bolt. It would seem tightening, re-tightening and more re-tightening may not be the answer. Isn't this a form of re-using the nut? I think we MUST make these checks to assure the safest travel possible. I also think there should be a better solution from the manufacturer to guard against loose U-Bolt nuts. Checking U-Bolt torque should not become a de-facto standard operating procedure thereby exonerating Heartland/Lippert and placing the responsibility for trailer integrity squarely of the customers back. Seems NUTS to me.

XXLRUNR

Fortunately I was transitioning from one congested freeway to another congested freeway. The ramp speed was 30mph and I was under that. I never exceed 62mph while towing, even in the best of conditions.

Bobby A

It doesn't seem appropriate to have an unwritten, unstated policy requiring the customer to check the torque of the U-Bolt nuts on a regular and continual basis, however, it is definitely a safety issue, and right or wrong, I will continue checking for my own peace of mind. I understand the safety aspect of checking tire pressure and clearly it is the responsibility of the customer to maintain the recommended tire pressure, but U-Bolts? Loose U-Bolt nuts seem to be fairly common which makes me wonder why Lippert/Heartland do not address this issue. Certainly the service and warranty departments have all the data necessary to identify any weak links in their manufacturing or assembly processes. I don't think Lippert/Heartland see this as a weak link. I can live with water leaks and appliance malfunction, however, trailer frame safety issues, and a "not to worry" attitude by Lippert/Heartland have me worried. I was advised by representatives of Heartland Warranty and Lippert Warranty that the loose nuts were not a serious concern, "just make sure they are torqued to 65#". These answers do not give me a "warm fuzzy", especially since the Lippert adviser (the same person that handled my accident claim) told me a year ago you can not re-use a nut when you replace a U-Bolt. It would seem tightening, re-tightening and more re-tightening may not be the answer. Isn't this a form of re-using the nut? I think we MUST make these checks to assure the safest travel possible. I also think there should be a better solution from the manufacturer to guard against loose U-Bolt nuts. Checking U-Bolt torque should not become a de-facto standard operating procedure thereby exonerating Heartland/Lippert and placing the responsibility for trailer integrity squarely of the customers back. Seems NUTS to me.

Very well said, if this has happened to anyone you become a little gun- shy while traveling, I find myself paying much more attention to my rear mirrors(looking at my tires/and rear of the coach) than normal since my incident,