Check your springs...

Two Hands

During our trip to Alaska this summer the right front leaf spring broke on my 07 Big Horn 3055RL . The left front was bent into a near ess shape and, according to the mechanic, the other two had scoring indicating they were ready to break. The mechanic replaced the three leaf springs with four leaf. Unfortunately, the damage was out of the warranty.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Two Hands, mine is an 07 BH. You might contact Lippert and see if they will help you. Seems to be a rash of 2-3 year old Heartlands having a spring problem. Lippert is replacing my 6K with 7K springs.

chris60

During our trip to Alaska this summer the right front leaf spring broke on my 07 Big Horn 3055RL . The left front was bent into a near ess shape and, according to the mechanic, the other two had scoring indicating they were ready to break. The mechanic replaced the three leaf springs with four leaf. Unfortunately, the damage was out of the warranty.
my 09 3055 has 4 leafs in each spring.. I am a bit worried now after reading all these story's. I wonder if that was a fix, are they all 4 leaf now, increased from 3?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
chris60
Nope.. My springs were 4 leaf and I went to 5 leaf for the 7k axles.
Can't believe a BH had 3 leaf springs.

BC

lwmcguir

Great proceedure to follow to determine if you have one side of your camper or one wheel over loaded
To return to the article select your browser's "back" or "return" button or select this link.
daxle.gif

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chris, the posted gross weight is 14K. The last time I weighed it there was 10340# on the trailer axles. The GCVW was 20760#. I was even surprised by it. I think DW had removed some of the bowling balls.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Great proceedure to follow to determine if you have one side of your camper or one wheel over loaded

lwmcguir
That is a nice way to weigh your RV if your not at a CAT Scales. As stated above you can't weigh each wheel by going off to the side of the scale. Infact I have not seen a scale that will let you drive off to the left or right of their scale. I just left Roswell NM where my cousin has a lot of trucks weigh on a dairy scale and you can only drive on and straight off. No driving on the sides or end, just straight through.

FWIW
BC

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Well it's me again, I had the left side rear spring brake while in Texan 5 days later the spring was replaced, and we were on our way to North Carolina. Just outside of Knoxville Tenn., we stopped for lunch and as always when I got our of the truck I checked the tires and guess what? the spring on the right side rear was broken. I was able to back track 6 miles to Camper World. We droped the trailer and 4 days later new rear spring.

We had just finished a 8028 mile trip to Montana, Southern CA, back through TX and home to North Carolina.

By the way Lippert took care of both springs.

Travel safe.

plumberdude

we just signed on the bottom line for 3914 and before we hook-up i am going under to ck things out. thanks for the heads up

GregS4882

Re: severed spring

Randy, You won't believe this but we worked together for 20 years and I have not seen you in at least 4 years. Our dogs are brothers, and now from this blog I find out we have the same BH. Here is another unbelieveable one, Nicole and I were on our way back from LA last week on 99 in Delano and we had smoke from the trailer. Broken spring just the same as you. Stopped at a Ma and Pa Tire place and was back on the road in 3 hours knowing how lucky we were. One call to get the Warranty info to the Ma and Pa shop. I'll give you a call.

lwmcguir

lwmcguir
That is a nice way to weigh your RV if your not at a CAT Scales. As stated above you can't weigh each wheel by going off to the side of the scale. Infact I have not seen a scale that will let you drive off to the left or right of their scale. I just left Roswell NM where my cousin has a lot of trucks weigh on a dairy scale and you can only drive on and straight off. No driving on the sides or end, just straight through.

FWIW
BC

Out here in the heartland you can go to any elevator and weigh any wheel/axle you want. They leave the scales on at night and the weekends. Very handy and dont cost you a dime.