Check your springs...

jbangma

Can you give me some more information about these 7K axles and springs? Had the same problem on my 3055 last New Years eve! Heartland and Lippert did a great job of getting me a new spring, and later a new axle, and we made new friends over New Years!

But last week, just after leaving home, I saw the dreaded smoke and found the other spring on the same axle now broken. This time we made the immediate repair within a couple of hours, but both shocks are bent and I just notcied that the other spring stack on that axle is twisted out of alignment.

We were planning on heading cross-country this spring but I'm a little concerned about a recurrance of this problem. I would be very interested in upgrading the axles/springs if I could get a feel for the cost.

Thanks,
Jim Bangma

Thanks for your help

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jim
The 7k Axles are great, however installing them caused me another problem..

The axles raised the trailer up about 3 inches. This was very noticable as we started out from the Lippert shop in Livingston, TX. The truck seemed to be pulling harder and I thought it was something to do with the wheels. Checked them out on the road and they turned properly. Found out that the additional height caused the trailer to put more pin weight on my truck. I have raised the 5th wheel hitch and dropped the pin box down. Will check the pin weight again when we leave the last of January for the Sweetheart rally in Kerrville TX..

Our future plans are to try and get the Mor/Ryde IS installed on the trailer this spring. Don't know what will be done with the 7K axles and springs. Some of the ones that have already had the Mor/Ryde IS installed could clue us in..

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Jim
The 7k Axles are great, however installing them caused me another problem..

Our future plans are to try and get the Mor/Ryde IS installed on the trailer this spring. Don't know what will be done with the 7K axles and springs. Some of the ones that have already had the Mor/Ryde IS installed could clue us in..

You either got some nice barbells...or you got something to sell on ebay.

But, I'll be the other 3055 pulled in behind you for the axles and brakes makeover.

I'm going to be helping MoreRydes profit margin in 2009.

jbangma

Thanks, guys. A couple more questions if I may.

I read in another thread about someone changing out 3000# springs for 3500#. That sounds to me a lot like doing a 7000# upgrade without swapping the axle, which seems a little risky to me. Also, I suspect it would be the springs which caused the biggest part of the height increase. Any thoughts on that?

On the Mor/Ryde suspension, can that be done by a dealer or must you haul it to Elkhart to have it done? My rig is currently sitting in south Texas and I'm not convinced I dare make a trip without something being done first.

Thanks,
Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim
Don't know what will be done with the 7K axles and springs. Some of the ones that have already had the Mor/Ryde IS installed could clue us in..
When we were there (Mor-ryde) in 07 after the rally we had the center piece replaced on our suspension. At the time there were at least 5 sets of axles, springs and hub/drum assemblies laying outside behind the shop. At least one of these were brand new in appearance:eek:. I guess some guy comes and picks them up but I don't know if he resells them or what. They also have a couple shelves full of used trail air pins. I guess this might say something about mor-ryde products :confused: or they have a great sales team. I haven't had any suspension issues since and I look at all my springs every time I check the tires. Mine all have a slight arch and all appear to be equal. At least to my eye. I'm also told, the only difference between 6K and 7K axles is the hub. Truth or not, I don't know. I'm going out now and count leafs on my springs. :D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had the Mor-ryde IS with disc brakes put on our Landmark in March of this year. It took 3 days and they allow you to stay in your RV at night. They gave us a key to the shop so we could leave if we needed to. The parts that were removed are discarded by Mor-ryde but if you want them they allow you to keep them. We had no way of hauling them off so they went into their trash bin. I think I remember them telling us there is a company that supplies the bin and picks it up. I imagine they sell it for scrape metal. They only do the install at their plant in Elkhart. They do have a few (maybe 6 or 7) spots you can camp in with electric hookups (30amp) while you are waiting. Like I said they allow you to stay in your RV at night while they work on it. During the day they have a very nice lounge with free wi-fi, free coffee, free soft drinks and water, free sweet rolls and donuts for breakfast and they supply you with a free lunch. Mor-ryde is a class act company and they take great care of their customers. You can contact Gary Wheeler at Mor-Ryde at 574-293-1581 ext 222. He is the one to talk to to discuss price. I do have a power point presentation of the work that was done on ours. Private mail me if you would like it. It won't upload here. Also if you are going to get the IS (independent suspension) on your rig, I would recommend the extra money to get the hydrolic/electric disc brakes. WOW what a difference.
PS I do not get any commission form Mor-ryde nor do I work for them.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
jabangma an Ray, I can shed a little light on the 6000 to 7000# spring/axle set up. The 6000# springs on my 2008 3400RL failed last year and were replaced on warranty. I wanted to get a little more height on my trailer to level it out so I had them replaced with 5 leaf 7000# springs. My brain says "well if I have 7000# springs, and I replace my China bombs with G rated Goodyears then I have a 7000# rating". But my real world brain said "check with Lippert". I did and was told that the axle tubes are different between the 6 and 7000#ers. So all I really got is a little more height and a little peace of mind when going to the five leaf springs.
Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just like Jim said above. Mor/Ryde is only installed at their site in Elkhart, IN.

To the question about the 7k axles. My 3400RE has the larger hubs for the 7k axle. What is in addition to the axles is the springs. The 6k springs have 4 leafs, the 7k springs have 5 leafs. That is enough to have the trailer stand about 3 inches higher.

BC

Dave Buck

Is it possible to order a Landmark with the Mor/Ryde suspension and hydraulic disc brakes and not have the expense of replacing the existing parts later?

Dave

jbeletti

Is it possible to order a Landmark with the Mor/Ryde suspension and hydraulic disc brakes and not have the expense of replacing the existing parts later?

Dave

Sorry Dave - Heartland does not offer the Mor/ryde IS suspension or any make of Hydraulic Braking System.

Jim

jbangma

Dave ,
If I understand you, you can simply replace the 6000# springs with 7000# while keeping the original axle. This could be my solution, although my wife is worried about stability with the added height.

Since my problem seems to be the springs, this could be a quick and dirty solution. Do Heartland and Lippert have anything to say about not doing this?

The first spring I broke bent the axle, all of which was replaced under warranty (even though I confessed to Heartland and Lippert it was one heck of a pothole I hit!) Now I broke the other spring on that axle and I noticed that the failure twisted the opposite spring stack (fanned out the leaves) and bent the opposite shock.

I suppose that the spring that just broke could have been stressed by the failure of the first one, in which case replacing them both might solve my problem. But I've been towing 5th wheels for ten years without ever having this type of problem and would like to have some peace of mind. Looking around this forum, I seem to see a lot of these issues. Is this a problem common to Heartland/Lippert? While my second failure happened post-warranty, have they suggested any form of upgrade?
Thanks,
Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave ,
If I understand you, you can simply replace the 6000# springs with 7000# while keeping the original axle. This could be my solution, although my wife is worried about stability with the added height.

Since my problem seems to be the springs, this could be a quick and dirty solution. Do Heartland and Lippert have anything to say about not doing this?

jabangma, I don't know which Dave you are asking, but since I had my springs changed I will reply. First off yes the 7000# springs bolted right on. The added height that I got was not a lot and has not had a negative effect on the stability while towing. Actually it was better because my old springs were not really doing their job. As far as Lippert goes, they supplied the springs on warranty. I was told that the axle tubes were a different wall thickness between the 6000# and 7000# axles. Changing your springs will NOT change your GVWR.
Peace
Dave

jbangma

Thanks, Dave, that was directed to you and you answered my questions perfectly. Now all I gotta do is make up my mind what I should do.
Jim

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I Was At Rayford Crossing With A Group Of "mcneese State" Fans For A Football Game, The Same Weekend Of Your "bighorn" Rally. We Are Looking To Buy A Bighorn, And Couldn't Believe All The Bighorns. We Had The Same Problem With A Leaf Spring Breaking A Few Weeks Before That Rally West Of Rosenberg,tx. The Black Streak Is Still On I-59 Where I Was Dragging The Tires Down The Interstate. I Burned Up 2 Tires As I Was Going 60 Mph. We Were Also Running From One Of The Hurricanes In Louisiana And Heading West. Long Story Short, We Left It On The Side Of The Road, And Had It Fixed On Our Way Back Home. Still Working On Getting The Bighorn, Need To Sell My Current Rv Before We Make The Move.

D and J

Hi, Can you tell us where you had this work done? We are having a lot of tire problems and think it may be our axels.
thanks D

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Well now it is my time for springs to break. Yesteray 9/26/09 on I 10, just out side of Dallas TX. The left rear spring broke! All 5 leafs, and the axel moved forward. All at 60 MPH. I stopped and found the spring broken. Luck have it there was a very nice Campground at Canton just off the x-way. I called a moblie RV Service. Today is Sunday so they are unable to respond today. T,hey will be out Monday. My question at this time is the telephone number for Lippert in Livingston TX? How do I start the warrenty process? The Bighorn is only 18 months old. 2008. Ant help!

Thanks Ron

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ron, contact Lippert 1st thing in the morning. There web site and email address is on the "PORTAL" page of the forum.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
My driver side springs broke on rear axle this summer in OR. The frame rested on that rear tire causing smoke and sticky rear tire. Underbelly of frame looks pretty black above affected tire as well. Called Lippert who told me there was a 2 yr warranty on springs. They replaced the 6K springs asap and I am still waiting for reimbursement for labor and new 614 tire as I sent in broken parts over a week ago.
Should I ask them to replace my 6K axles and springs with 7K each? I was underweight so shouldn't have happened. Thank God for the new G rated 14 ply goodyears. Could have been nasty if the spring broke in the mountains with no barriers. Sounds like all these 30 ft and up rigs should have the 7k axles and springs.
Any thoughts. Going to speak with Lippert this week?