Checking 12V battery fluid level.

Tanuki

Still a newbie. My BC has two 12V batteries. One is in a corner of the front center storage compartment. The other is in the right front compartment beneath the hydraulic system. They are each in a separate plastic case enclosure with their own separate hoses venting to the outside. I understood that since these are not sealed batteries, that you need to check the fluid levels and add distilled water from time to time as they "cook" off while recharging off the converter. Okay, fine. But how? Surely there is an easier, safer way.

I took out the screws and loosened the lid of the case of the battery in the center compartment but can't take it off completely because the stiff cables come through holes in the side of the lid. I can peek under the lid, but the battery caps can't be accessed because the cables are on top of them and cinched tight to the posts. So I sneak a wrench in there and undo the cables; I can then wrestle the case lid up and out of the way a bit more and get the caps off. Yep, needs about a cup of water between the six cells. Then wrestle the thing back together. Meanwhile, the loose ends of the cables are getting jostled back and forth and they are live, since they are connected to the other battery. Pffft! ****. I hate it when that happens. Got that one taken care of though. Now the other battery? Ain't happening. Getting the screws out of the case lid was nearly impossible. Half of them are on the blind back-side, against a wall and under some hoses and the battery cables as well as the shelf for the hydraulics. Managed it eventually. Couldn't get the case lid up high enough to see in the cells even if I could get the cables off and safely(?) out of the way to pop off the caps. The bottom of the hydraulic system is on top of it. Who thought this one up?:mad:

Suggestions????

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Tanuki... I'm afraid I can't be of any help on this one, but I can tell you one thing... Be sure to wear safety glasses!
My battery is very easy to get to, it is located on the tongue of the trailer completely out in the open. When I popped off one of the caps, it shot battery acid everywhere! I was not wearing safety goggles but was fortunate and fast enough to have an abundance of fresh water handy and washed my eyes out immediately. Accidents happen when you least expect it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You don't need to have six screws holding the battery cover on. Actually, my single battery doesn't have any holding it on. It ain't going anywhere. The boxes for my batteries have molded grooves in the lid and bottom for the cable to lie in.

With a hot blade, you could modify your covers to allow the cables to feed in between the top and bottom.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Take it back to the dealer and have them make a sensible battery installation.

My BH is setup the same way. Space is limited on these rigs.

I have procrastinated about checking mine for the same reasons that the OP stated.

My neighbor says he has an portable fill device so you don't have to get your head over the batteries.
I have not seen it but I'll check it out and post how it works. Trace

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave, that would have been cheaper than sealed batteries.:( Trace

rgwilliams69

Don, did you order your Quik Fill direct from the Flow-Rite web site or find it in a RV shop somewhere? Thanks!

Take the time to remove the screws from the covers, you will have to do this at some point anyway to check the water level.
Like Bret said, "WHERE YOUR SAFETY GLASSES"
Take the covers and cut a bigger openings for your cables. This will make removing and reinstalling the covers easier.
Instead of screwing the covers back down, use a strap with a velcro closure, and it's done.

Hockster

===================================================================================================================================

Tool958

I ordered ours from http://www.rvupgradestore.com/ I haven't gotten them yet, but I've bought other things from them. They ship pretty quick and are reasonable on pricing. I went ahead and bought a set for the batteries in my boat also. Looked at different sites, but they were the only one carrying the double sets as well as the single set.