Checking Brakes after tire blowout

We have a 2012 Big Country 3690SL. We had two tires blow out on our current trip. We replaced both tires and the spare as it was the same age as the two that blew out. There is some body damage and there are some electrical wires on the right hand side of the RV that have been pulled out and these seem to be tied to the outlets on the right side. All of the appliances work and all the slides work. The only thing I am not clear on is how to double check that the brakes are still working. There are two white wires connected to the wheels on the left side of the RV. When I connect the trailer to my F350, I get the trailer brake notification showing the setting of 5.5. Is there anything else I can do to check the brakes?

avvidclif

While hooked up actuate the brakes with the lever on the controller and see if they hold the trailer when you try and pull forward.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is a magnet inside your brake assembly.
If you have someone apply the brakes you should be able to hear the magnet contact the drum or you might be able to hear a hum.
Also, take a look at the backside of the assembly. There are wires that go into it. Those wires either go into the axle or up into the belly of the coach.
If they have not been broken you should be allright.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you can find a dirt road or parking lot . . . turn the trailer brakes all the way up . . . activate the trailer brakes by hand . . . then pull the trailer forward a foot or two.

You should see drag marks in the dirt from the tires if they are working.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Hook up and try the pull test. BTW, you probably have Towmax tires. Get rid of them ASAP (read all the threads about them....use the search box). Sailun tires and GY G614's are the way to go. Both are a G rated tire. Look at the inside of the wheel spokes and see if they are stamped "110" and if they are you will be good to go with the tires I mentioned. Not cheap, but neither is replacing the sides of the BC. Best money you will ever spend. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice!! We did a pull/drag test and the wheels didn't turn! We made it safely out of the VA mountains with a couple of hard breaking situations an shad no problems!!

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I would lift the wheels off the ground pull the brake away switch and try spiny the wheel by hand