Chev Suburban

banjoppd

I have a 2004 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton 6.0L 3.73 rearend auto transmission. I wan to buy a 2011 30FQBS. I believe the empty weight is 7300 lbs. The dealer sales guy says its even less because he said it is weighed with the water tank full.

Can my tow vehicle handle this size trailer? I figure I carry about 800 pounds of passenger in my tow vehicle and another 400 to 500 pounds of just stuff when we go camping.

Give me some feed back. Is there anyone out there with the same tow vehicle what weights are you pullng I don't want to burn anything out I want to stay within my limits.

wyleyrabbit

I have a 2004 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton 6.0L 3.73 rearend auto transmission. I wan to buy a 2011 30FQBS. I believe the empty weight is 7300 lbs. The dealer sales guy says its even less because he said it is weighed with the water tank full.

Can my tow vehicle handle this size trailer? I figure I carry about 800 pounds of passenger in my tow vehicle and another 400 to 500 pounds of just stuff when we go camping.

Give me some feed back. Is there anyone out there with the same tow vehicle what weights are you pullng I don't want to burn anything out I want to stay within my limits.

A quick google says that the tow capacity of your 2004 Suburban is 8,400 lbs, but that might be completely wrong. Can you please check your vehicle's instruction manual and post here what your tow capacity of your Suburban is, as configured?

I'm afraid I'm not certain which trailer you're considering. What line is the 30FQBS in? Is that a "Trail Runner"? For the sake of this message, I'll assume that's what you're looking at.

The GVWR on that trailer is 10,400 lbs, and that's the MOST that trailer is ever allowed to weigh, including whatever food, water, pop, clothes, options, etc. you add to it. The dry weight from the factory is 7,340 lbs. Remember though, that food, clothes, cargo, flashlights, dishes, glasses, and everything else you add to the trailer adds to the weight. Dry weight does NOT include anything in the tanks, and water is heavy!

That unit has a 50 gallon fresh water tank. That's about 425 lbs extra if the tank is full.

Without knowing the actual towing capabilities of your particular vehicle as it's configured, it's tough to say whether you're good to tow.

Chris

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
banjoppd, you came to the right place for information. This is a great forum. Ask your dealer sales guy how empty weight translates to full water tank. Trailers are weighed as they come off the line. No water.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I find about 7600 gvw for 4x4, 3.73,6.0 with auto tranny. Just a quick look at TL towing 2004

wyleyrabbit

I hate to say it, but I think you're going to want to hold this sales guy's feet to the fire on this. Any sales guy/gal that sells someone something that they can't legally or safely tow does the unethical.

Go talk to your Chevy dealer and get the real numbers on the weights for YOUR model year and configuration, and then go back to the trailer dealership armed with the right information.

Chris