Chevy/GMC Steering Shaft Clunking

Barry & Alana

Clunking

We had a 2005 GM truck, and also had it in twice for the same problem.

I think on our previous truck to that we had the same problem also.

I guess all is well if they can fix it!

Happy New Year!None

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Clunk is Gone!

I had the truck to the dealer today for the replacement steering shaft. Wow, even going down the road it seems quieter. The main man at the service center assured me the newer style shaft resolved the issues that caused the old shaft to go bad. That will remain to be seen but for now it's like a new truck:D. I was able to use a neighbors Dodge 2500 with the Cummins while mine was in the shop. The only thing I really liked better than my Chevy was the turning radius. Much easier to park. My Chev is quieter and more comfy:p

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I have had this 'clunking' from my '03 1 ton Duramax for years and have been unable to locate it myself. I had a similar sound on my '99 1/2ton 5-speed V-6 Shortbed - just sold it last week, though! Been wondering what it was. Time to repair!

Trey

Chevy steering shaft clunking -2500HD

Interesting...I had the same issue as others and Forrest below. Dealer repacked the shaft 3 or 4 different times on my 2004 2500HD Duramax. Replace the intermediate shaft as below.....and guess what the last time....the most success yet! Replace the lower steering shaft bearing as described below. Good so far, going on 6 months.

Trey

Steering shaft clunking
The Duramax steering shaft clunking was fixed, at least for now. After the second intermediate steering shaft replacement, the clunk continued. :mad: The third time the dealer found the problem, the lower steering shaft bearing was replaced, and the cab to chassis rubber mounts were changed as per service bulletin. All is quiet now.:)

Forrest

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ours is still quiet as a church mouse. Cost to repair, $92 for part and $92 labor. Our aftermarket warranty took care of all but $100. Cool!

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Thanks, Ken. After reading that TSB and re-reading the posts, I have determined this is NOT what I am hearing with my truck. I do have a 'clunking' noise, generally when going slower on rough roads. It is not, however, from the steering shaft and I can NOT feel it in the steering wheel. The noise is coming from underneath the vehicle. I'm wondering if it is a crossmember or something? I'll keep checking!

(With 165,000 miles on this thing, and all the dirt roads and off-road driving I do with my job, it could be just about anything, I guess. I've been driving about 1200-1500 miles a week for the past 14 months and will probably continue for another year or better.)

pickuphunt

chevy/GMC Steering Shaft Clunking

I have a 2004.5 Chev. I notice the 'clunk' when I turn to the left. I'm glad to have read about this condition here in this forum. I will get to a GM dealer monday morning.

Rookey

Haven't been on this site for a while. Stumbled on this thread and realize I have the same problem. Getting ready for 15k check-up so we'll be discussing this. Thanks a lot, guys.

Mike

Uncle Rog

4 Month Update......

The three step fix is still good, shaft, bearing, bushing.
Clunk free for four months!

I had mine in for defective leather seat and mentioned this to the tech and they did replace it no charge.
General Motors has a replacement part for the intermediate steering shaft to prevent clunking. Prior, GM would only repack the shaft with grease. If you truck is under warranty, there is no charge and the install takes less than 45 minutes. If you truck is out of warranty, I would recommend contacting the dealer, make a little noise (shots fired, temper tantrum, threats to buy a Ford or Dodge, picket line, etc) and you might get the parts installed without charge. GM has known about this defect since the first trucks with this design were produced and driven about 10K miles.

Good Luck.........if all else fails.........tell them Forrest sent you!!!!!!!!!:D

cdnrver

I also had the internediate shaft and bearing replaced about 5 months ago. Seems ok at the moment.

Not knowing much about mechanical issues, is this simply a noise issue, or can these parts fail and cause an accident?

buckeyebob

steering shaft clunking

i have a 2007 silverado new style 2500 hd duramax/allison crew cab 4x4,373 rear end.will i have a problem or was it redesigned with new style?thank you, buckeyebob.

buckeyebob

now that i think about it ,my son has been compaining about a noise his 04 crew 1500 makes when he turns left!!!its not a 4x4,does that matter?its only got 40000 miles on it.buckeyebob,