Chevy Silverado Diesel Issues

I own a 2006 Chev Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Diesel. It is equipped with a fuel cooler.....what is its purpose? Mine is leaking, should I replace or can it be bypassed? Any suggestions?

Westwind

Fuel cooler or a transmission cooler - I've never heard of a fuel cooler on a diesel truck. I had a problem with leaks going from the transmission to the cooling unit buy the radiation and had to replace them. I used Alligator Transmission cooler lines and it's been two years so far no leaks, they were made out of hydraulic lines and are continuous so hopefully no leaks for a long time.

yes it is a fuel cooler. gm used them for a few years. that is all I have been able to find out. I was told possibly for fuel economy.

ray587

Is it the one mounted right in front of the fuel tank? That's where mine is. Is the cooler itself leaking or a line?

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
yes the cooler is leaking. having problem getting new one. this is why was thinking about bypassing.

I have an '05 and had the same problem this past fall. I discussed this with a Diesel Tech friend of mine and he told me that I should replace not to bypass it. He also told me to replace all of the hoses not just the ones that "seemed like they were bad" because they were all going to be bad real real soon and I would forever be having issues with fuel pressure and/or leaks. it cost a small ransom in parts because I went from the pump to the fuel filter @ the engine. The peace of mind that I will not get stranded when traveling was well worth the extra money and time it took to replace it all...

with regards to why to replace and not to bypass - all I can remember was him saying that I would regret it next summer when I started to have major pressure issues. I took his word for it.

Kevin

Last edited:

mzcummins

With the new common rail diesels the fuel gets really hot when it's pressurized to 20,000 psi or more, hot fuel is bad for your injection pump, power, mpg, etc... I would not bypass it.

sent using Tapatalk

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
When you buy a 65 gal titan after market replacement tank they replace the cooler with one that fits down the frame rail. It is a long pipe with fins on it. Floyd

tmcran

On the 52 gal Titan, the OEM is used. The last time I looked on Merchants Automotive an OEM fuel cooler was about $ 210.00

macjj

Sorry for the late reply, just noted this forum. Recently I inquired about this fuel cooler. What I was told it is located on the "return" side, not the feed side. The reason (purpose) is the fuel pump is on the motor near the injectors, fuel not needed dependent on you instantaneous fuel require the, is returned to the tank, however it is at the temp of the engine at the time. Since diesel inherently retains air and deposits, they do not want to heat the fuel in the tank making the issue worse. Hence Replace it - do not bypass it, or as stated previously, you are looking for more trouble down the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk