China Bombs got us today

ChopperBill

I guess I don't get it.

There are many posts on other non-branded RV websites about the EXACT SAME CATASTROPHIC FAILURES for the Goodyear 614 tires as those well-documented failures for the cheapo China Bombs (including the Goodyear Marathon)

What's the benefit other than more money spent to still get a dinged trailer ???
Spent my money on Michelin's on the TV and the fiver. See many posts of failures on these? (He asks while knocking on wood!)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The day I picked up my Bighorn 3400RE in Seguin, TX I went to the nearest Discount Tire store and replaced all 5 tires with Michelin XP Ribs & steel valve stems. Now I also have pressure pro to keep a good eye on my tire pressure. I know, any tire can blow out and Pressure Pro will only tell you that is it gone. However it will tell me if I have a low tire so I can be aware of a problem. Pressure Pro has already warned me of a tire problem on my old 5er. I also wanted to get rid of the ST tires that have a 65mph speed limit.

The Michelin's cost $215 per tire before balance, mounting and road hazard. I figure that is a lot cheaper than having to replace a tire and repair my Bighorn.

So far I have not had any tire problems. Now that can change, but so far I am doing real good. Knock on wood.

BC

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
The day I picked up my Bighorn 3400RE in Seguin, TX I went to the nearest Discount Tire store and replaced all 5 tires with Michelin XP Ribs & steel valve stems. Now I also have pressure pro to keep a good eye on my tire pressure. I know, any tire can blow out and Pressure Pro will only tell you that is it gone. However it will tell me if I have a low tire so I can be aware of a problem. Pressure Pro has already warned me of a tire problem on my old 5er. I also wanted to get rid of the ST tires that have a 65mph speed limit.

The Michelin's cost $215 per tire before balance, mounting and road hazard. I figure that is a lot cheaper than having to replace a tire and repair my Bighorn.

So far I have not had any tire problems. Now that can change, but so far I am doing real good. Knock on wood.

BC

Are those Michelins a "G" or "E" rated tire?
Fred

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Forrest:
I didn't think so, but was hoping.
Fred

"Just so everyone is clear on this. The tire that blew up on us was not one of the tires that came with the trailer. We developed bubbles on the sidewalls of the Goldways that came with our Bighorn. We purchased new tires from a tire shop in Dodge City, KS. , in November of 2007. Unless you purchase Goodyear or Michelin tires, you will have a hard time finding tires that are not made in China. These tires are the ones that failed on us."

Last edited:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
After I had a Trail America blow out last August, I replaced all five with Goodyear G614s. Had one of those blow out in GA on the way home in April. Entire tread came off. So, now I fear the Goodyears will blow as well.

I don't drive over 60 and check air pressure each day of travel - keep at 110 psi.

The G614s were made in the USA - maybe I should call these "American bombs"?

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! How many times do people have to have these things explode on them and cause lots of damage to their unit, as well as the people following. We've experienced 3-G614's blow in one tripon a previous unit at $275.00 each. Even thought Goodyear stepped up and paid for the damage and 2 new tires at the tune of $3900.00(I didn't keep the 3rd tire). Dealing with the manufacturer's rep was absolute agony. Somehow, someway, when a buyer spends this kind of money, there should be at least an option to upgrade the tires to a better grade. We took the Mission tires off 2 weeks after we got this unit home and put Michellin XPS tires on the ground. Yeah, it was costly, but less than 4 months of aggravation getting the unit fixed and dealing with the factory rep. who belittled me and questioned my account of what happened when the tires blew. Not to mention the anxiety when they blow in traffic. There has to be a better way...

jbeletti

...dealing with the factory rep. who belittled me and questioned my account of what happened when the tires blew.

Jay,

Thank you for sharing your tire experience - as miserable as it was. That's a bummer to hear about defective Goodyears when in the load range G arena, it seems to be the best choice. I do understand that there was a run of poor G614s. I think that was a year or two ago.

With regard to the quote above, are you talking about a Heartland Customer Service rep, a rep from your SOB unit or the rep from Goodyear? I hope it was not a Heartland Rep. If it is, please PM me with names.

Thanks again for sharing.

Jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Stevewonder...if you look closely at those threads, you will note that almost all of the G614 failures were on tires with DOT dates in 2006 and prior by approximately 1 year. Goodyear addressed this problem with those tires and there have been virtually no failures since. Also, Forrest is correct...check a G614 against pretty much any other tires of it's size and there is no comparison.

In your case, I see you have a Sundance, and probably can use E rated tires. Most of us can't, we need G rated to carry the load of our units. If I could use E...I would have Michelin XPS ribs without question. They even stack up to the larger Goodyears with very thick, heavy sidewall construction...over the years we've found nothing better than Michelins...but they just don't make a G rated tire.

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
We are sitting on the side of the road in Kansas with yet another wrecked tire. The tire didn't blow, the tread fell off so Luckily this one didn't do any damage to our rig, DH is changing it out now. Thank heavens we got a spare in Waco. We are still about 200 miles from the dealership in Dodge City where we bought the replacements. That makes Six tires since the end of Sept 2007 and we were sitting in Colorado for a while and Kemah for 6 months of that time. This is just flat out bullcrap. I am so cross I could spit spiders!! Lizzy

kakampers

Lizzy and Fred...I'm so sorry you're having such a horrible time. Hope you guys can get to the dealer without any further issues. Are you replacing them with Goodyears?

We'll have a couple of cold ones for you when you get to Branson...then you can chill and relax a little bit...sounds like you really need it!

Kathy and Ken

kakampers

Retired4fun and Txbobcat...Michelin XPS ribs are probably THE best E load tire on the market anywhere. Used them for a long time on our TT without any problems...and have never really seen anyone complain of problems with them. I realize NO tire is perfect...however, these Michelin XPS ribs come as close as you can come.

The only problem is they do not make them in a G load...if they did, I'd have the Goodyears off here quicker than you can blink! Till then, the G614's are the most reliable G load tire out there for trailering. IMHO

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey,
I got an idea....
Heartland, start putting on three axles on these heavy trailers so we can use E rated tires. Then we would have more tire options....

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Ken and Kathy, thanks! We are in the middle of Nowhere, Ok and I found a place we only had to detour an hour to get to that had Two of the goodyear 614's. Just paid $600 for them. There will be two more ready for us in Dodge City on Monday so we will just travel to there and hang out an extra day and a half. That also happens to be where we bought the other set last November (diff tire, diff dealer) so hoping to get some money back on them. Two failed tires since November? hope they are reasonable about it. The next two will cost a bit more because they had to special order them believe it or not, jeesh, lol.

I haven't been drinking because of my diet but I tell you, after this trip, I will be glad for a couple of cold wobbly pops,,, Lizzy

Uncle Rog

Howdy, after two blowouts and one wheel torn up, not to mention the negligible body damage, we bought a full set of GY's. I have posted this before but the tread pattern on the GY's is a true trailer style, grooves in the center with smooth outsides just like the trailer tires on the Peterbuilts. We filed a claim with ALL the tire people and Tredit actually made good on the deal. If your failures were in the first 12 months and you have pictures, go for it. I do not have the contact info in front of me but I know that HL Customer Service does.................

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Forrest:
I didn't think so, but was hoping.
Fred

"Just so everyone is clear on this. The tire that blew up on us was not one of the tires that came with the trailer. We developed bubbles on the sidewalls of the Goldways that came with our Bighorn. We purchased new tires from a tire shop in Dodge City, KS. , in November of 2007. Unless you purchase Goodyear or Michelin tires, you will have a hard time finding tires that are not made in China. These tires are the ones that failed on us."

Hey Rog:
This is from a previous post on this thread. Dealing with Heartland and the Treadit is not an option. I didn't buy these tires from them, nor did they come on my vehicle.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Are those Michelins a "G" or "E" rated tire?
Fred
Fred. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. But as inidcated earlier Michelin only go up to load range E. I wish they would go up to G.

I am so sorry to hear that all of you are having tire problems. I wish there was something we could do to get the Mfgrs to quit making tires in China. It really ticks me off that we are endangered and our RV's are endangered by Mfgrs allowing tires to be made such as those coming out of China.

This is not only a problem for us as RVers. The regualr passenger tires are also becoming a hazard.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I understand that China is a Communist Country. Isn't the United States a democracy? I was raised that Communisim is bad and democracy is good. Feedom is good. Why do we promote a Communist Country by buying their products? Do you think there might be a hidden adgenda to secretly and slowly do away with Americans and wreck their economy and thereby Communisim will win? Just a thought. God Bless America!

ptillett

Spent my money on Michelin's on the TV and the fiver. See many posts of failures on these? (He asks while knocking on wood!)

Both of my brothers work for a company (logging) where they haul very heavy equipment. My brother told me he blew out many tires, all good, name brand tires (goodyear, bf goodrich). He said the bad part was, when it blew, you just didn't loose the tire, it tore things up. He finally put his foot down and told the big boss to bring him four michelins. He hasn't had any trouble since. That was enough sale for me. If I am hauling anything, I will put michelins on my vehicles and trailer.

I am sure they can fail too, if you don't take care of things (tire pressure). But, maybe we have a better chance. :)

I just bought a sundance this year. Due to the expense of the purchase and outfitting it and our tow vehicle needed four new tires, I might just keep a hard eye on my china bombs and try and limp through till next season. Knock on wood and keep my fingers crossed! LOL

Thanks for all the advice out there. Good advice, too.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Jim, the rep that Goodyear assigned to our tire failure was the person that I was referring to. These failures were on our Doubletree in 2005. The tires were dated for production in 2003. I didn't get much assistance from Doubletree. After much discussion and letter writing, they (Doubletree)replaced defective steel wheels. Goodyear tried to lay blame on us, then the wheels, then roads, then the heat of the roads, etc. The most contentious part of the claim was when the rep wanted me to drive to Akron so they could analyze the tires. Even the suggestion of my inability to read a tire guage was tried. I won't try them, again.